Scanning 35 mm negatives

RetMD21

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have started running photo prints through my Fujitsu Scansnap. It is fast and does a decent job with most photos. I think I could do better with scanning selected negatives. Although I have an Epson flatbed scanner that can do film, I was wondering if I should look into a dedicated film scanner like a Plustek. Has anyone done this?

https://plustek.com/us/products/film-photo-scanners/opticfilm-8100/

I wrote out the post below before checking out the Plustek. It looks like the Plustek is a similar solution all in one box.

---------------------------------------------------------

Do you have an interchangeable lens camera?

If so, look into using your camera to "scan" negatives. Here's one youtube video on how that is done. Shooting on film and then showing off on insta has increased the innovation around scanning film.

https://youtu.be/oa9qadiUTMc?si=bwwkcCv__9tmutpr

Last edited:
Depending on the quantity, I would consider buying a dedicated high quality film scanner on eBay, doing my scans, and then reselling it. Alternatively, just use a local service.

The "Easy 35" looks very interesting. There is image manipulation required with the camera based systems with a monetary cost and a learning curve. The Plustek scanners come with software which seems to be pretty automated. It makes sense to buy the scanner used but most of those available on eBay are "factory refurbished." The software is a significant part of the cost and I am not sure if it is transferable.

Plustek looks nice. I have a crate of negatives that I really should go through.
How long does it take to process a 35mm negative?
That's my big holdup, it has to be relatively fast with minimal input.

edit: most of these are just family photos, good memories but probably not wall hangers. Though there may be a few. Really just want to copy them to a few SSD's to give to our kids and grandkids.

Last edited:
I tried the Kodak Scanza but moved to something that could generate better quality. Despite the numbers the Scanza claims, the actual highest effective resolution is about 640x480. It's quick because of the low res scan, then it digitally enlarges the image, which blurs everything. For example, I digitized the a photo of a car. In Scanza's output, the license plate numbers were too blurry to read. Scanning the same photo with an Epson V600 resulted in not only those numbers being readable, but also the smaller name of the state. A downside to a better scan is all the dust and lint on the transparency becomes visible. You can edit that out manually, but it's time consuming. The better scanners come with automated dust filters, but they're quirky. I wondered why a distant car in a photo looked odd, and then realized the automated filter had smoothed away the hubcaps!

So those of you who have scanned a large box of negative strips, did you wipe the strip down first? What did you use, cotton cloth, microfiber cloth, cleaning solution?
I realize some dust particles will have embedded themselves into the emulsion and need software to process these but what about dust sitting on the surface?
There may be some that I'll want to hang on the wall. But speed is my main goal.
Then there is the problem of how to categorize them. I'll be scanning them to a master SSD then copying that to give to family. I'll probably try to make folders using year. A few years ago I did all of our VHS and 8mm tapes as a gift to family. Took most of the summer.

I went down the slide scanning rabbit hole and ended up with the super quick, and only slightly sub-optimal Kodak Scanza. https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/macro-and-camera-for-slides-111031-2.html#post2673875

I used a similar device. It was nice and quick.

I saved the really great slides in one cigar box, and threw away the junkier ones (it scanned so fast I just scanned everything and when seeing it during the scanning process decided on a keeper or junk.)

Since I did it over 2 years ago, I've looked at a few of the photos since doing it.
Meaning they are not that important or compellingly interesting.

So glad I didn't spend months of time on it.

Also glad I did it, as I have an electronic record and threw out some boxes of slides.

So those of you who have scanned a large box of negative strips, did you wipe the strip down first? What did you use, cotton cloth, microfiber cloth, cleaning solution?
I realize some dust particles will have embedded themselves into the emulsion and need software to process these but what about dust sitting on the surface?
There may be some that I'll want to hang on the wall. But speed is my main goal.
Then there is the problem of how to categorize them. I'll be scanning them to a master SSD then copying that to give to family. I'll probably try to make folders using year. A few years ago I did all of our VHS and 8mm tapes as a gift to family. Took most of the summer.

I would not use cleaning solution as it may soften/damage the negatives.
Blowing air would be safe. Compressed air can or some tiny compressor (air brush type) or just a bellows type air blower. Blowing your breath will spew spit particles all over it.
Rubbing a cloth could cause a dot to become a scratch.

Scanners like the Plustek are very fast since they work by taking an image of the negative. Flat bed scanners are much, much slower. Unfortunately, that's what I used - spent a lot of tedious time on the scans.

I used a rocket blower (don't use canned air) to blow off the dust on the negatives. Occasionally, I had to use a brush. There will be small dust particles that remain. If the picture is special, it is easy to edit them out with software.

We scanned a bunch of negatives that my FiL had. We gifted him a digital frame & we put those pictures on it. He absolutely loves it.

A digital frame makes the scanned images easily available & it is wonderful to walk by and see the smiling face of an old friend who isn't around any more or remember a special moment.

Last edited:
Plustek looks nice. I have a crate of negatives that I really should go through.

edit: most of these are just family photos, good memories but probably not wall hangers. Though there may be a few. Really just want to copy them to a few SSD's to give to our kids and grandkids.

On high resolution the Plustek is about 2 minutes per image. It is manual advance. You can scan at 7200 dpi but the practical result is supposed to be something like 3600. They do make an auto feeding film scanner with lower resolution.

On high resolution the Plustek is about 2 minutes per image. It is manual advance. You can scan at 7200 dpi but the practical result is supposed to be something like 3600. They do make an auto feeding film scanner with lower resolution.

The Plustek OpticFilm 135i which RetMD21 referenced looks like it might be better for me since it can do a negative strip or 4 slides automatically. I'll have to do a bit more research on it.
That would help to improve the speed of these. I need to read up more on their software and how it works with Mac.

Back
Top Bottom