Sealed Wood Chip Walk Path

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a new library with environmentally friendly landscaping and a playground. The walkpath is paved with a material that appears to use woodchips as an aggregate in a clear binding substance (instead of asphalt/bitumen). It feels more cushioned under foot than regular asphalt. IMG_1043.JPG
I've never seen anything quite like this and I'm trying to get more info on it.IMG_1042.JPG

Is that the same material they use on playgrounds?

I've never seen anything like that either... wouldn't it eventually rot?

That's what I would expect anything wood based to do. I'd be interested to learn how they fooled mother nature.

Ask someone at the library? I would imagine that since you described it as "environmentally friendly", they must have some PR material about how they are saving the planet.

I've purchased some composite wood products, that I think were made from shredded pop bottles, and some binder. They were dyed to simulate brown wood. So maybe that walkway is plastic, not wood?

-ERD50

It looks like a higher grade of material than certified playground mulch but it's got something holding the chips together. You can see how well formed the crown of the path is. Presumably the binding material will provide some weather resistance. Those fancy exotic wood benches resist the weather. I'm sure they do have some info on the landscape details or I can ask the contractor if I keep digging. I use loose chips on my path that I buy or get for free from the tree chipper crew. They last a season or so but I just decided to switch to gravel which should last forever.

It looks like a higher grade of material than certified playground mulch but it's got something holding the chips together. You can see how well formed the crown of the path is. Presumably the binding material will provide some weather resistance. Those fancy exotic wood benches resist the weather. I'm sure they do have some info on the landscape details or I can ask the contractor if I keep digging. I use loose chips on my path that I buy or get for free from the tree chipper crew. They last a season or so but I just decided to switch to gravel which should last forever.

The more I think of it it's likely an OSB type product formed in place.

I know termites, and they'll be dining elsewhere.

It could be a recycled tire product that has been shredded, dyed, and formed.

It could be a recycled tire product that has been shredded, dyed, and formed.

I've seen those and that's what I would guess too. Wood makes no sense, recycled tires would.

Zeager Bonded Wood Carpet.

Looks interesting, I wonder what its lifespan is out in the weather.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom