Seborrheic Keratoses Cryotherapy Treatment - Is That HSA Eligible?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Went to a dermatologist today to have some spots on my skin looked at. Along with a wart, other dark spots are (the medical term) Seborrheic Keratoses which is just benign growth spots. I decided to have them, along with the wart treated by cryotherapy (freeze them suckers!).

My question is, is the cryotherapy for the Seborrheic Keratoses HSA eligible? I still have time, as will eventually get an benefits coverage statement after getting processed through insurance. But was wondering as some dermatology treatments are in the gray area as for eligible of not.

Didn't have much look "Googling" on "Seborrheic Keratoses HSA eligible? ".

I've had good and bad experiences now with seeing a dermatologists as for their bed side manners. First was one who barely looked me in the eye, seemed cold and very short with her time. The one today is a gem. Great beside manner. Friendly, and took time to explain the procedure and what to expect.

I've been seeing the same dermatologist for over 20 years and if he doesn't slice some little nasty thing off, he whips out the little liquid nitrogen bottle and freezes them off me here and there.
(I don't mind it here, but sometimes it really stings when he does it there. :( )

Insurance, whether private or Medicare, has never questioned anything he has done, so I see no reason why yours should be different.

I have had those nasty things removed over the years and while I don't have an HSA, this procedure was always covered by insurance.

I've been seeing the same dermatologist for over 20 years and if he doesn't slice some little nasty thing off, he whips out the little liquid nitrogen bottle and freezes them off me here and there.
(I don't mind it here, but sometimes it really stings when he does it there. :( )

Insurance, whether private or Medicare, has never questioned anything he has done, so I see no reason why yours should be different.

My take is that some things are considered cosmetic vs medical necessary. I didn't ask the dermatologist about HSA eligibility (not the place) but she actually brought up insurance and said used to be Seborrheic Keratoses was covered until found out that isn't harmful, so no longer covered. But seems to me like cryotherapy for warts is covered, so even more gray area :popcorn:. Maybe I'm overthinking. But despite HSA's kinda on the honor system, I wish to interpret and record properly.

Your dermatologist should be well versed on the types of treatments they offer which are covered and not. Of course, every plan may have nuances, but in general, the difference is going to be if a procedure is considered medical or cosmetic.

Since dermatologists typically handle both, they should be able to tell you which category, and which coding, so you can double check. But keep the receipts!

DW has this problem. Her GP says the removal is elective and not covered. She suggested buying the freeze wart remover OTC. It works.

If I had any doubt, I’d submit it and see what happens. There’s no sense in self denial.

If I had any doubt, I’d submit it and see what happens. There’s no sense in self denial.

Just from the responses here, can see the thought isn't clear cut how to report. I'll wait until get the explanation of benefits breakdown letter from insurance. If the breakdown says something like "Patient's share of cryotherapy is 100%" then I will assume, all not covered, thus no HSA. But if statement says something like 50-50.. then, back to the gray area.

Back
Top Bottom