Seeking walkable neighborhood anywhere? Good study.

Excellent site, very interesting.

My score is a very pleasing 74.

Neat site but i gotta scratch my head at its accuracy.
My address got a score of 20:confused:
There are 4 parks within a ten minute walk.
a city wide bicycle network 2 minute bike ride away,
At least a dozen restaurants within 10min walk
A shopping center 3 blocks away
Sidewalks or bike paths all the way.

I tried some sites in known dangerous neighborhoods and they scored high .Yes. there are a lot of things to walk to but would you ?

Yikes! Like Walt, I got a 17. And I agree--there is no place to safely/comfortably walk to. Suburban Atlanta is definitely not pedestrian friendly.

The site could have possibilities, but I saw glitches, especially when I put in where I used to live. It came up with a library that was 3 miles away---technically correct, but that library was in the next county, so I wouldn't have had borrowing privileges. And okay, so there was a Chic-Fil-A very close by, within walking distance----but not so appealing for someone who is a vegetarian and doesn't like fast food/chicken.

So, Ha---winner of the walkability award---how often do you use your car?

My score was 23!

I was expecting a higher score, but after I read the reasoning for the low score, I guess I have to agree.

We live in an area with about 1000 families, but there is very little nearby as far as development. We have walked and biked the area for over 20 years, day and night, and have never experienced any problems. For me, that makes it a perfect walking area, at least for exercise and safety.

Last edited:
So, Ha---winner of the walkability award---how often do you use your car?

Tango,

Maybe once a quarter to go out to a Target or similar to get supplies. One to 2x per week for pleasure- to get to events that aren't in comfortable walk range. Bus service is good to a few places, but not to the whole city, especially at night.

Including an occasional trip to the mountains, I think I am driving about 6000 miles/year.

I picked this area for its appeal to an urban walker. I have been coming here and enjoying it for years, walking around, sometimes going to clubs. I never really considered iiving here until all of a sudden it seemed to make sense.

Ha

haha, all you are accomplishing with all this is making me mighty jealous...>:D
Sounds ideal and makes perfect sense to me. You lucky dog, you!

I scored "3", but the total includes a neighbor who runs a small in-home catering business, so I guess my walk score isn't something that I'll use when we list our house for sale!

Meanwhile, my daughter lives in an older, established suburb and loves to walk just about everywhere -- her score was 82!

Every one talking about places being this score or that but as most posters dont bother to list their location on this forum i have no idea where you are referring to.:confused:

Every one talking about places being this score or that but as most posters dont bother to list their location on this forum i have no idea where you are referring to.:confused:

Just listing a city or town doesn't mean anything. The scores are very local and just related to what is close to the address given. I checked various locations in my suburb, and the scores are quite different (and appear to be accurate, at least around here). Those parts of the suburb that are almost all residential without even a convenience store for a long way, came out lower than those that are nearer to a variety of stores of various kinds.

Back
Top Bottom