Seems Like CD Rates ARE creeping up.

Here is PenFed's Latest. 12 Month for 2.15 seems pretty reasonable.

https://www.penfed.org/accounts/mon...MI-5HikO7p2gIVQTuBCh2oKwu3EAAYASAAEgIQ5vD_BwE

I think the 1 yr quote is 2.10. Fidelity has 1 yr new issues for 2.15.
Relating back to your other thread, I think the PenFed 5 yr of 3% from 5 years ago was an unusual circumstance that many on this site jumped on. Others can comment.
Edit - I see you now stated you are one of the PenFed holders. Okay so you know......
I think that PenFed's current rates are not that unusual.

Last edited:
To me, this is much faster than a creep. I started another thread about taking the EWP hit on a 3 yr CD I bought just 10 months ago. This reinforced the value of having a modest EWP for me.

Sweet spot seems to be 2-3 years. Yield curve flattens out quickly once you get to 5 and the payoff from 10-30 is almost nothing.

Sweet spot seems to be 2-3 years. Yield curve flattens out quickly once you get to 5 and the payoff from 10-30 is almost nothing.

+1
One would hope for a minimum]of 20 bps extra per year.

For folks who are buying new issue CDs through their broker, if you have free time during the day, consider skimming through the secondary market offerings - on Friday I was able to get 3% for (exactly) 3 years through Fidelity, even after the $1/CD commission.

Even the money market settlement fund is giving a better yield now! 1.59% for vanguard's fed money.

Using Fidelity brokered CD's as an example, the interest payments are a mix of monthly and semi-annual in the 2-3 year range.

If you don't need to use the dividends it doesn't matter much but be sure to compare apy and not just the interest rate.

None here in the Netherlands & Belgium do, all do it yearly.

CDs at Schwab are yielding 3.2% for 5 years and, I think, 2.9% or 2.7 for 3 years.

It appears to me that a great majority are buying CD's in the 2 year range. Personally I'm keeping to my 5 year ladder approach. With current, better , core yields it really doesn't matter what payout schedule is used.
Keep in mind that the Fed may be using current increases as a hedge against future downturns. Who knows?

It appears to me that a great majority are buying CD's in the 2 year range. Personally I'm keeping to my 5 year ladder approach. With current, better , core yields it really doesn't matter what payout schedule is used.
Keep in mind that the Fed may be using current increases as a hedge against future downturns. Who knows?

I've been pondering this too. Tough to stick with 5 years when it seems like rates have nowhere to go but up, OTOH that's mere guessing.

I stumbled across an interesting product at navy fcu. It is a 3 year adjustable CD that adjusts once a year and around the anniversary you can add funds. The rate adjusts to whatever the offered rate is at that time, but it cannot fall more than half a percent from the starting rate. Currently offering 2.54%.

I saw an interesting CD structure today. A 3 year CD... first year is 1.50%, second year is 2.25% and third year is 4.00%... APY was 2.62%... EWP is last 12 months .... $25k minimum.

I stumbled across an interesting product at navy fcu. It is a 3 year adjustable CD that adjusts once a year and around the anniversary you can add funds. The rate adjusts to whatever the offered rate is at that time, but it cannot fall more than half a percent from the starting rate. Currently offering 2.54%.

That is interesting. I really like the add-on feature. I don't see it in thier list of offerings. I'm in the middle of xferring some funds to NFCU and I might use for some of the funds if I can find it. The current rate I see for a 3 yr CD is 2.3 (<100k) to 2.4 (>100k).

That is interesting. I really like the add-on feature. I don't see it in thier list of offerings. I'm in the middle of xferring some funds to NFCU and I might use for some of the funds if I can find it. The current rate I see for a 3 yr CD is 2.3 (<100k) to 2.4 (>100k).

If you look at the CD rates it is under the "other" tab. I had to call to get the details.

Thanks, Brewer
I found it and plan to put at least $500 in it to lock in the rate and maybe add more later. I guess they don't want this offer to get to popular. I guess I'll need to check that "other" tab more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom