Selling the House to Travel - What to Do with Proceeds?

Nope. I’d still sell. OP says he’d clear $6k/yr (=1.7% return) & Zillow forecasts 1.4% appreciation, for a total of 3.1%, and that’s not even risk (or hassle)adjusted. And, it’s still less than a safe FI investment.

How would this strategy work if real estate appreciated 30%+ during the same time? I don’t put a lot of stock in Zillow forecasts.

Thanks! Unfortunately, my condo is a low-rise, among higher-priced high-rises that mostly have elevators (my condo has four flights of stairs). Zillow always forecasts a price that's about 10% high for my complex, because it's part of a HOA that has a high-rise, pool, sauna, etc. My building has 16 units and 10 of them are currently rentals, which doesn't help the valuation.

Hmmm perhaps selling would be best given this.

How would this strategy work if real estate appreciated 30%+ during the same time? I don’t put a lot of stock in Zillow forecasts.

WADR, it hasn’t and it won’t. Take a look @ similar properties in the same area; 30% appreciation in the next 3 yrs is very, very unlikely. Prices are flattening (multiple properties with recently reduced prices) and, as you astutely pointed out, they could go down.

I don't want to move back to Oahu's urban core after I return from travels.

In my current location, I don't see any realistic potential for more than 2-3% annual appreciation, especially, for my building. The Zillow forecast to me are like the forecast engines for flight pricing...sometimes, they work in the short term, but long-term predictions are usually off.

The Big Island, where I want to buy, appears to be sliding downward at the moment. Of course, it's a gamble either way.

Back
Top Bottom