SEPP plan

Cybertruck

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am trying to calculate my potential withdrawals using a (72)t plan and need to know the %120 Federal mid-term rate.
From what I found it looks like it’s right at 2%.
Can someone confirm this for me?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the SEPP rules require you to use the current or prior month's rates relative to when you actually start the SEPP. So keep in mind that it can change. The IRS publishes the rates monthly here:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/federalRates.html

Somehow they've already published February 2020 rates here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-20-03.pdf

which shows a rate of 2.1% for 120% of the mid-term rate assuming annual compounding.

Note that you can also pick a lower interest rate if you want; 2.1% is the highest you could go. You can also carve your IRA into two pieces and do an SEPP on only one of them; this is helpful if the calculated withdrawal is too high for your purposes.

HTH.

Thank you!
I don’t plan on doing this until next year possibly so I’m sure it will be different, but I’m
glad to confirm that I was looking in the right place.

.... You can also carve your IRA into two pieces and do an SEPP on only one of them; this is helpful if the calculated withdrawal is too high for your purposes.

HTH.

While I get the idea, in the OP's case he might want to do the max amount and just save what isn't needed for expenses so he has accessibility to it. If he carves the IRA the only way he can get penalty free access to the amount carved out is to start another SEPP whereas if he does the max and saves what he doesn't spend in a taxable account he has more financial flexibility IMO.

You are correct. I have all of my savings locked up in retirement accounts. The goal is to get as much money out as I can(penalty free) so I can start growing funds in a taxable account that is more accessible.

I plan on rolling my solo401k and simple IRA into my TIRA when I start the SEPP plan, but I’m thinking about leaving some in the 401k so I can pull from it to pay for my daughter’s college expenses.

Back
Top Bottom