Sequence of withdrawing money from retirement accounts

Clone

Full time employment: Posting here.
I would like to review the logic in deciding which accounts to draw from as we transition from a mode where we are accumulating to a mode where our income is low enough that it makes sense to do ROTH conversions. There are several things going on, lots of moving parts, and I want to have another set of eyes look at my logic.

Our income has dropped to a point where it makes sense to do ROTH conversions to use all of the 12% tax bracket. We will probably convert some at the higher 22% tax bracket. There are no ACA subsidy considerations, as we have a health care plan in retirement from MegaCorp. With SS and RMDs, we will be firmly in the 22% tax bracket for many years. If the market were to remain strong, we would be pushed into the 24% bracket.

I have an inherited IRA that gives off an annual RMD. I have an HSA with approximately $15K of receipts that could be reimbursed. We will continue to accumulate receipts that are paid out of pocket, with the large charges paid directly from the HSA. I have a substantial 401K, and a lesser 403b. DW has a traditional IRA. We each have ROTH accounts.

Starting with the HSA: We will continue to fund our HSA so long as we have a compatible health insurance plan. This creates a tax deduction, even when we take the standard deduction. I don’t see any reason to leave the money in the HSA or to draw the money out for qualified expenses. The account can remain as an investment with the money available at any time by pulling it out against the accumulated receipts. Is there any reason to pull it out asap, or to leave it to accumulate for as long as possible?

Regarding the inherited IRA: Obviously there are RMDs. Beyond that, it seems to me that the balance is the same as any of the other tax deferred accounts. This cannot be ROTH converted, so it will generate cash. It looks like this could be transferred to a donor advised fund (DAF) to allow us a path to make charitable contributions with tax advantaged money. (Assuming we continue to take the standard deduction).

The traditional IRAs, 401k, and 403b all look the same. They can sit until age 70 (or 72 if the bill passes), and will then be subject to RMDs. In the meantime, we will convert some of these to ROTH accounts. I think the logic here is to look at the overall tax picture. When we reach 70+, what is the expected amount of RMDs that will be generated from the tax advantaged accounts? What does the tax rate look like for us as MFJ. Also, if one of us should pass, what would the tax rate look like for a single filer? The goal then seems to be to do ROTH conversions in an attempt to flatten the tax burden.

Finally- once I no longer have a 403b match, is there any reason to contribute to an IRA? It seems to me that if you are doing ROTH conversions, then it does not make any sense to put money into an IRA. I think our income will be too high to get a Saver’s Tax Credit for a ROTH contribution, but I suppose that is still something to watch.

I apologize for putting up such a wall of text, but hopefully this makes sense. I appreciate any of your thoughts or suggestions.

I would like to review the logic in deciding which accounts to draw from...

I can offer these thoughts:

The logic on this subject is always entirely situational. What applies to my case does not apply to yours and v.v.

Your case is unclear as you did not share all pertinent details (amounts in each of the portfolio accounts, current ages, SS benefits and commencement plans, etc.) and you won't since no one does it in this forum.

Thus, your expectations in inmates providing a sanity check of your logic are entirely unreasonable.

I think you're thinking about all of the various moving parts very well. After you actually retire, you will get a clearer view of how it all works, so you'll probably make pretty good decisions the first year or two and then dial it in even better thereafter.

It's not a big deal, but I would leave the HSA to grow as long as possible, as it is tax-free growth, so to the degree that you leave it there it will compound tax-free, which is a helpful thing to have happen.

I would only take the RMD from the inherited IRA, unless it's small and you just want to drain it or donate it for simplicity's sake.

If you're into making donations - you mentioned a DAF - look into QCD's from your IRA when you get to your own RMD's.

I would not contribute to the IRA when you are doing Roth conversions - you're right, they seem to be opposites of each other. Note that you have to have earned income to make the IRA contribution; if you're not getting a 403b match it may be because you've stopped working, thus no earned income, thus no ability to contribute to an IRA.

In terms of lifetime burden, predict your SS+RMD-standard deduction "AGI" from age 70 to 85 or so. You might end up in the 32% bracket or more.

I wouldn't worry too much about 22% vs. 24%, but the 32% bracket seems worth avoiding.

There are some subtleties in converting now vs. later at the same bracket - say, 22%. I don't recall these offhand. It seems that personal preference for avoiding paying potentially needless taxes now instead of putting them off vs. maybe tax rates will be higher in the future outweigh any technical factors one way or the other.

HSA -- They don't pass well to a non-spouse. Of course you never know when you will die, but my plan is to use my receipts for living expenses at 64, because I'm controlling income for the ACA subsidy (not a concern to you), and then using up the rest with Medicare premiums and other expenses. Check it out for yourself but I think you are best to use them up before you die. I'm not sure if your estate can use them tax-free for those saved receipts and final medical expenses but that seems like an unnecessary complication.

DAF on inherited IRA -- You may want to look at a QCD instead? I *think* you can do this with an inherited IRA but check on that. This way you get the effect of the deduction without itemizing. If you are itemizing, a better way might be to put an equivalent amount of an appreciated stock instead. You have the income, but then take an equivalent deduction to cancel it out, plus you are trading an appreciated stock or fund for cash in hand without paying capital gains. Did I make sense there?

I think you are correct about not contributing to a Roth if you aren't getting a match and are converting anyway, especially since you aren't trying to control income for the ACA subsidy. It sounds like you are in a lower bracket now than you will be at 70, so it makes no sense to defer income at that lower rate.

Regarding the overall strategy, you seem to be taking all the correct considerations, to try to smooth the tax over time. I'm only able to take a guess at your situation without having the numbers but I suspect you might be better off converting all the way to the top of the 22% or even the 24% bracket. Perhaps you could avoid the SS tax torpedo if you can get your IRA fully converted. Also consider those 22% and 24% brackets may not last. Even if you gave all the numbers it's a complex calculation, one I wouldn't take the time to do for someone else. I haven't even done it for myself because it seems so clear to me to try to fully convert my IRA to a Roth before 70 with SS and a small pension coming.

How old are you or will you be when you retire? Which of your tax-deferred accounts will be subject to penalty-free withdrawals? Is your inherited tIRA RMDs and other income sources enough for you to live on?

Assuming that you have penalty-free withdrawals from tax-deferred accounts, I would leave the HSA to grow (it is like a Roth in a lot of ways)... use tax-deferred withdrawals to supplement your inherited tIRA RMDs and any other income sources to live on and supplement that with Roth conversions to the top of the 12% tax bracket (or even the 22% tax bracket if your prefer).

+1 with SecondCor521... you seem to have a good handle on the issues and headed in the right direction... other than letting the HSA alone to grow.

Since everybody likes numbers…

I am 62, this will be my last year of W2 income. I have been half time for a while now, and will be completely done in a few weeks. DW is 63, and began drawing SS at her age 62. Approximately $13k per year. I have a pension, $43k per year. We also have locked in farm income of $34k per year for at least the next 12 years. I plan to take SS at 70, with a projected benefit of $43k per year. So projected income from 62 to 70- $90k plus any withdrawals or conversions. After age 70, $132k plus RMDs.
Accounts- Tax deferred- (401k, 403b, tIRA) $700k. Inherited IRA $69k. HSA $52k. ROTH $35k

One thing for her to consider... suspending her SS to give you more headroom to do low tax-cost tax-deferred withdrawals for living expenses and/or Roth conversions to reduce RMDs.... I believe that once she restarts her benefit that it will be higher but check it out before doing it.

Similarly, it might make sense to defer starting your pension to give you more headroom that would accomplish the same thing IF your pension benefit will increase by deferring it... if not then obviously not worth it.

As is you won't have much headroom... $90k of income - $24k standard deduction is $66k TI vs $77k top of 12% tax bracket only leaves $11k for tax-deferred withdrawals or Roth conversions at 12%.

One thing for her to consider... suspending her SS to give you more headroom to do low tax-cost tax-deferred withdrawals for living expenses and/or Roth conversions to reduce RMDs.... I believe that once she restarts her benefit that it will be higher but check it out before doing it.

The $34k per year is a CRP payment. If DW is drawing SS, then this is treated as passive income, and thus the payment is not subject to the 15.3% self employment (SE) tax. The $5k in SE tax savings was considered when DW decided to draw SS at age 62.

We do not have much headroom to do ROTH conversions. The main effort is to do enough conversions now so that we do not get pushed into an even higher bracket with RMDs at age 70.

The question regarding the HSA account- at this point, the benefit is to get a tax deduction for putting the money into the account. Using the concept that money is fungible, is there any reason to leave the money in the HSA account vs drawing it out? RunningBum indicates that they are hard to pass on to non-spouse, thus is it better to draw the cash out using the acquired receipts and just pay for medical bills out of pocket? This may fall into one of those 'clean it up rather than leave a mess for your heirs' kind of things.

The question regarding the HSA account- at this point, the benefit is to get a tax deduction for putting the money into the account. Using the concept that money is fungible, is there any reason to leave the money in the HSA account vs drawing it out? RunningBum indicates that they are hard to pass on to non-spouse, thus is it better to draw the cash out using the acquired receipts and just pay for medical bills out of pocket? This may fall into one of those 'clean it up rather than leave a mess for your heirs' kind of things.
It's like a Roth, in that any growth is tax-free, provided you use it for medical expenses. So it's a bit of a tricky line, to let it grow tax free for as long as possible but not to die with it. Yes, it is a nice thing to clean up and not leave a mess, because your non-spouse heirs can't use it as an HSA. It's more like inheriting a tIRA, so it will be taxed when they withdraw. I'm not sure what the MRD rules are. So it's much better for you to use with tax-free medical withdrawals rather for them to be taxed on it.

In my case, it's helpful to take a tax free withdrawal at 64 so I'm going to call that a good enough use to give up the future tax free growth.

The $34k per year is a CRP payment. If DW is drawing SS, then this is treated as passive income, and thus the payment is not subject to the 15.3% self employment (SE) tax. The $5k in SE tax savings was considered when DW decided to draw SS at age 62.

We do not have much headroom to do ROTH conversions. The main effort is to do enough conversions now so that we do not get pushed into an even higher bracket with RMDs at age 70.

Gotcha on why she is taking SS... to sidestep the SE tax... sounds smart... particularly if her SS wouldn't increase much if she did pay the SE tax.

On the HSA, we have never taken any money out of ours... it will continue to grow tax free. We'll probably start taking out for Medicare premiums when the time comes in a few years... it is our backwards substitute for LTC insurance... we can tap it for LTC costs if the need arises and it will transfer to a surviving spouse. The surviving spouse will probably tap it heavily to try to reduce it before our kids inherit it since they'll get taxed on it.

Lots has been published about all this.

Generally, one should withdraw from multiple types of accounts each year and not all from one type before going on to the next type.

And everybody is different because of their tax situations, types of accounts, and amounts in those accounts.

Something that we are doing (that you asked about): We are doing Roth conversions while still contributing the maximum allowed to 401(k)/403(b) accounts. The reason is that we made non-deductible traditional IRA contributions in the past, so we do not pay tax on our return-of-basis. The 401(k)/403(b) contributions keep our conversions in a lower tax bracket and/or allow us a larger conversion amount. We also still contribute to Roth IRAs. Note that I still have earned income from small gigs.

Last edited:
Future tax considerations. If the tables do not change:

MFJ, we would be in the middle of the 22% bracket. If one of us passes, SS decreases, Pension survivor benefit is less, standard deduction is less. Survivor would be just into the 24% bracket.

If the tax tables were to revert to the 2017 tables, then MFJ would put us at the top of the 25% bracket, headed for 28%. A single survivor would likewise be right at the 25% -28% transition.

Our heirs, at the present time, are probably in the 22% incremental bracket. If the laws were to require inherited IRAs to be paid out within 5 years, or if the tax tables revert, they would probably be in the 24% to 28% incremental range.

This seems to encourage me to convert up to top of the 22% bracket.

Lots has been published about all this.

Generally, one should withdraw from multiple types of accounts each year and not all from one type before going on to the next type.
Why is that? To me the goal is to even out taxes over my lifetime as best as possible. If withdrawing from multiple types of accounts gets you there, fine, but I don't see that as a guiding principle. If your situation is unchanged from year to year, that may be best, but especially for ER folks, income tends to be very different at different stages. And there are estate situations that probably make it favorable to drain one type of account over another.

Please explain why withdrawing from multiple account types should be any goal in mind to have, but rather something that just may happen to occur?

Future tax considerations. If the tables do not change:

MFJ, we would be in the middle of the 22% bracket. If one of us passes, SS decreases, Pension survivor benefit is less, standard deduction is less. Survivor would be just into the 24% bracket.

If the tax tables were to revert to the 2017 tables, then MFJ would put us at the top of the 25% bracket, headed for 28%. A single survivor would likewise be right at the 25% -28% transition.

Our heirs, at the present time, are probably in the 22% incremental bracket. If the laws were to require inherited IRAs to be paid out within 5 years, or if the tax tables revert, they would probably be in the 24% to 28% incremental range.

This seems to encourage me to convert up to top of the 22% bracket.

Something to think about for me too... I've generally avoided converting to the top of the 22% tax bracket because 22% later seems better than 22% now.... but if one of us dies prematurely/unexpectedly, the survivor will definitely be in a high tax bracket for life due to the loss of 1/2 the standard deduction and lower tax brackets.

I was thinking of changing to 22% bracket withdrawals/conversions after we redomesticate to a low income tax state, but I think this cements that decision.

You're thinking is fine as far as I can tell.

I treat the HSA as a slightly disadvantaged Roth. When we're ready to to start Roth withdrawals as part of our normal plan, we'll start with the HSA's, using the receipts we've been saving. Hopefully we can drain the HSA's before starting on the true Roth IRA's. If not, we'll just max out what we can take out of the HSA and use the Roth's for the rest. We've been contributing the the HSA's, one of the deductions that doesn't require w*rk.

I didn't see any taxable accounts. Without those, Roth converting might not be worth as much. Converting now at 22% taxes to avoid 22% taxes later is beneficial if you can pay the taxes with taxable account money. It's like taking that tax money and adding it to the Roth, where it becomes tax-free. Maybe if you have excess income that would also work. But withdrawing $100 from a tIRA, paying $22 taxes, and putting $78 into a Roth is a mathematical wash if your tax rates remain at 22% in and out. In that case I'd just try to make sure I was taking every opportunity to withdraw at any tax below 22% and make sure 32% was not going to happen in the future.

As far as withdrawals/Roth conversions, you probably want to draw from the inherited IRA first because of earlier and higher RMD's. If Roth conversions are feasible and can be done from the inherited IRA (can they?), do that before the other accounts. Certainly any additional withdrawals above the RMD would come from there, if needed. My DW is 5 years younger than me, so I now have no tIRA (all Roth converted already) and I'm working on converting hers now. So no RMD's until she turns 70.5, which is quite a nice delay.

HSA - remember that you can pay medicare premiums from it.

t-IRA - location of asset classes is important. Place your fixed income assets first in your t-IRAs. Besides avoiding taxes on the dividends, on withdrawal you'll pay the same amount of tax on your gains as you would if those investments were in a taxable account. Not so if you have cap gains in a t-IRA.

I think you've got a sound understanding of the issues. Like someone above said - you've got a good start and you'll tweak it as you go along.

Back
Top Bottom