Shipping bag internationally?

2017ish

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have a bifurcated trip coming up--5 weeks diving, followed by 4+ weeks wildlife trekking and cities/villages over a big area.

Looking at using an Indonesian company to ship our dive gear bag home (via DHL, but the local company makes the interaction seamless). Not cheap, but the alternative is schlepping the dive gear (50 pound wheeled duffle bag) around Borneo before paying to store it in in Kuala Lumpur, then having to make a special trip back to KL to retrieve it.

Anyone done anything like this? (We'd also have to rent a mailbox, etc. type slot to accept the delivery....) Our present thoughts are that paying an extra $250-300 is worth it to facilitate carryon only travel through Malaysia and Singapore...

Thanks!

I have shipped items to my sons while they were living in various countries. You can ship directly to the local DHL office and indicate Hold for Pickup. You shouldn't need to rent a mailbox also.

I have shipped items to my sons while they were living in various countries. You can ship directly to the local DHL office and indicate Hold for Pickup. You shouldn't need to rent a mailbox also.

Oh, that's a good point. We'll look into this--i.e., how long we can hold there...

Thanks!

Personally, I'd just ship it to a neighbor, friend, or relative. I know very few that wouldn't be willing to accept a shipment & just toss a dive bag in the garage until you return.

We have a bifurcated trip coming up--5 weeks diving, followed by 4+ weeks wildlife trekking and cities/villages over a big area.

Looking at using an Indonesian company to ship our dive gear bag home (via DHL, but the local company makes the interaction seamless). Not cheap, but the alternative is schlepping the dive gear (50 pound wheeled duffle bag) around Borneo before paying to store it in in Kuala Lumpur, then having to make a special trip back to KL to retrieve it.

Anyone done anything like this? (We'd also have to rent a mailbox, etc. type slot to accept the delivery....) Our present thoughts are that paying an extra $250-300 is worth it to facilitate carryon only travel through Malaysia and Singapore...

Thanks!

We thought about this when we went to Australia since we only dove for 1 week on a 2-month trip. In the end we decided the risk of losing our gear in transit wasn’t worth it, and decided instead to just use the dive boat’s rental gear. We only brought our Lycra skins, masks, and computers. I regretted not bringing my dive boots and do prefer my own gear, but this was an acceptable solution for us.

If you must have your own gear, another idea is to ship it home via your airline as cargo and ask a friend or family member to pick it up for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom