Should I be contributing more to my retirement account?

Neat, simplistic, and potentially dangerous. Read, learn, decide. And when I say read, I don't mean Money magazine. Here's a list of resources - http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/fire-recommended-reading-list-22300.html

Here's a good article about calculators - http://www.early-retirement.org/for...ment-calculator-from-hell-articles-32828.html

Your points kind of miss the mark.

Bernstein points out the fallacy with average return calculators versus safe withdrawal rates. He would not have a problem with an asset allocation calculator that models/suggests asset mixes versus user defined events. In that regard the CNNMoney asset allocation calculator can be enlightening.

There's a tool here that can help. FIRECalc. You'll see a link at the bottom of each page.
Coach

Coach,
Thanks for pointing out where FIRECalc is. It used to be very obvious but I haven't been able to find it here for a very long time. I don't think I could have done a better job of hiding it if I had tried.

Coach,
Thanks for pointing out where FIRECalc is. It used to be very obvious but I haven't been able to find it here for a very long time. I don't think I could have done a better job of hiding it if I had tried.

I don't know what browser you are using, but with Mozilla Firefox, I can hit ctrl-F to bring up the search box, then type in firecalc and it finds the link on the page instantly. :) This is how I frequently interface with web pages - if a quick 2 second scan can't find what I'm searching for, I ctrl-F then type in whatever it is that I seek.

Fuego.....thanks for the tip. I have a MacBook and ctl-f doesn't seem to do anything. (hopefully I can remember it for the PC). And using search on the forum only brings up the threads talking about Firecalc and not firecalc itself.

Fuego.....thanks for the tip. I have a MacBook and ctl-f doesn't seem to do anything. (hopefully I can remember it for the PC). And using search on the forum only brings up the threads talking about Firecalc and not firecalc itself.

There may be a "search" or "find" function in whatever browser macs have on them. Unfortunately I have zero experience with macs so that's all I know.

I use the Find command all the time too. On a Mac it's Command + f for both Safari and Firefox. You can see the other shortcut commands when you mouse over the Menu Bar (The keyboard short cuts are typically displayed to the right of the option).

Some others that I frequently use on a PC are:
Alt + Tab : switch between windows
FN + Tab : switch between FireFox tabs
Crtl + S : Save
Crtl + R : Find and Replace
F6 : selects the URL in FF

Back
Top Bottom