Should I be happy with these results

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi,

For some of my investments, I use 2 FAs that purchase stocks/bonds, not funds. My strategy is 60/40 but they have flexibility based upon their market view. So, they can go above/below based upon their desecration. Both claim to follow a similar strategy but their assessment of stocks/segments to purchase is different. Consequently, the difference in performance. (There is more which I will be happy to respond but not really part of my question)

I began investing in 2011. From 2011 - 2016, I have had growth in one adviser of 53% and the other 84%.

How does that compare to the performance of your portfolio and can you let me know if it is a buy/hold mutual fund portfolio.

Thanks

what were your contributions to those funds during that time span?

Reinvesting dividends, from January 2011 to December 2016, the S&P 500 cumulative return was a bit over 92%. Buying VTI and doing nothing with it but setting up dividend reinvestment over that time would have resulted in approximately the same (92%) return. Of course, that's not a 60/40 portfolio either though.

I'm curious why a 60/40 portfolio, are you already retired?

On the assumption that you are asking about equity returns:

This calculator (http://www.ftserussell.com/tools-analytics/russell-index-performance-calculator) says that the broad market Russell 3000 had a CAGR of 12.28% for the six-year period, so almost exactly 100% for the six years. A simple, cheap, total market fund would have returned 98% with very low risk, assuming a 20 basis point fee -- which is actually quite pessimistic.

This calculator (https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/) give almost exactly the same 100% return for the S&P 500.

Your 84% advisor cost you about 1.1% a year compounded, assuming that 84% is net of all fees. That's not bad, but the risk of individual stock picking is significant.

Your 53% advisor cost you almost 5% per year compounded, again assuming it's net of all fees. This not atypical for advisors.

If these returns include returns on fixed-income, I'd suggest breaking out the equity-only returns for comparison to the calculators' results.

The other thing to remember is the counter-intuitive statistical fact that a stock picker's past results do not predict future performance.

I think performance against a published alternative benchmark is more useful than social comparisons when evaluating advisers.

Try this for the equity component: https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/.

Haven't found a similar one for a bond index.

If the Bond Index has been about 5% annualized (seems "about right" to me), that would result in 5 year growth of 27%. A 60/40 using simple index funds, but not counting mgmt and adviser fees would have been:
S&P-97.5% growth x 0.60 = 58.5%
Bond-27% growth x 0.40 = 10.8%
Total growth = 69.3%

Looks like you have one beating a simple index approach, and one lagging.

i would fire both of them. its a buy and hold 80/20. Should you be happy? I would be. My old financial adviser couldnt get me a decent return in the greatest bull market in history. Id say 50 and 80 % returns are decent.

Last edited:
I would ask each FA to compare their returns to a market benchmark and disclose to you what indices and at what weights they're using. So for a 60/40 portfolio, if you blend S&P 500 index at 60% and Barclay's bond index at 40%, you could calculate what you think their market benchmark is. I would want each FA to explain his or her performance vs this weighted index and see if you are satisfied with their comments.

After counting on others to run my finances (and being disappointed) I finally decided to do everything myself. I figured I couldn't do much worse - and so far I have been right about that. Also, I don't charge myself for my own advice. When I need some "hand holding", I demand the included services from my investment company (in my case, Vanguard.) More than ever, YMMV.

Before comparing returns can be meaningful, you would really know what your equity/bond ratio really was, say on a year by year basis. Also, what size companies were they buying? Is it all very large cap, a high proportion of small cap? What was the US/International ratio each year? What types of bonds were they buying? Treasuries, Corporate? What duration - 30 year? 5 year? To make any type of comparison, you would need to compare to a portfolio invested in a similar manner. Did your FA that had the higher return take on significantly more risk over that period to achieve the higher return or was he just better at picking large cap stocks. One way to assess your portfolio would be to do a yearly X-ray on Morningstar for each portfolio and determine how they were really invested and how the advisors compared to each other. Then, once you have an accurate assessment of how your portfolio was actually invested, you could ask what performance achieved by participants here with similarly invested portfolios.

Before comparing returns can be meaningful, you would really know what your equity/bond ratio really was, say on a year by year basis. ..... Did your FA that had the higher return take on significantly more risk over that period to achieve the higher return or was he just better at picking large cap stocks. .....

While that seems like a technically correct answer, it doesn't really match up with the real world alternatives. If the FA did this choosing, well, that's what she/he's being paid for. The alternative really isn't to actively manage and match their moves, how would you do or know this?

The alternatives mentioned, like Wellington, or some 60/40 blend of a few index funds would be my comparison, because that is what I'd likely do.

There may also be tax advantages to a couple of index funds with minimal cap gain distributions.

-ERD50

What about the risk? You can't talk returns without talking about risk was taken.

ERD50, your comparison using for instance Wellington might be perfectly fine if the FAs' allocation was around 60/40 and I think about 90% USA investments with a few very large cap foreign holdings but I suspect that the OP does not really have a good understanding of what his actual allocation was over the years. Also, perhaps I wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to match their moves to do a comparison. I was just trying to suggest that the OP get a better understanding of what the asset allocation was over the period. He thinks that it was 60/40 but what was it really? I suspect the higher return portfolio took on some significant additional risk either by higher equities or junk bonds or both. I would look at each year mostly just to see if the actual allocation changed significantly over time or held fairly steady and what was the real overall allocation. If the allocation changed over the years, I think you would still need to come up with a reasonable average over the 6 year period. And then find a useful comparison of a fund or funds with a similar allocation or other members that have a similar allocation over that period of time.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It has all been helpful and have no problem with more suggestions/advice.

My FAs do an annual comparison using the S&P 500 and a similar type bond index. One of the reasons for my post was to check that logic. It seems to be sensible since if I were to do this myself, I would select a buy/hold portfolio that was 60/40 and simple to manage. While not in my original post, I am also experimenting with Future Adviser. They had a $19 per month introductory offer so my costs are basically the funds in the portfolio. I can easily get the costs for the funds from Personal Capital if anyone is interested but if memory serves it is about 0.22 . To date, their performance is slightly below the two FAs.

The discussion between Marinauser and ERD50 about best way to measure success was interesting. I think you are both right. But, for my retirement spending strategy, I want to meet/beat the returns achieved by a 60/40 portfolio. If I do that, my retirement continues smoothly.

I selected the FAs before having as much knowledge as I have today. I liked that they purchased mostly large cap stocks. Their 'international' exposure is based upon the megacorps international business. And, they perform a market timing effort on the downturn. They both are honest about missing some upturn opportunity by following the sell during the downturn strategy. I personally like the idea that they have flexibility for their investments i.e in good times extending beyond the 60/40 and vice versa. But, I do not want them being short term traders and they are not.

The higher performing FA, has a clear strategy for entering market segments and individual stock purchases for both buying and selling but it seems clearer for buying. The segment must be on the upswing and the stocks must be showing a recent (I believe 1 year) recovery. If when the segment declines, they sell. Over the last 8 years, most of my holdings have been consistent. Buying/selling is not frequent. One key thing that caught my interest was during the last downturn, their results were much better than the market on the downside. But, slower as the market returned. Overall a better result. Finally, I know many people who use the FA as an adviser who speak highly of the results. I can't tell you how they are making the analysis besides they are happy with their portfolios.

The other FA shares a similar approach to selling when the market is retreating. They buy/sell a little more and seem to take a more traditional approach to market analysis. It seems their advisers select segments and stocks based upon other advisers telling them what to do. Again, their performance in the last downturn caught my attention as they were able to sell during the market collapse (I was not a client at that time). This was and still is important to me. When the market retreats again, I hope I can retain more money.

Future Adviser will be an interesting data point for this 'live' test. If performance remains close, it seems like a safer way.

I would not use an adviser that charges fees for purchasing mutual funds. I can do that myself and feel it is an expensive way to be in the market. I consider the Future Adviser fee to be negligible.

I am concerned closing down the less successful FA and concertinaing my money. But, I am not sure if that is rationale. My other problem is it will be expensive to liquidate the portfolio since there are a fair amount of gains. To move the fund to either my Future Adviser/self manage or the FA will trigger capital gains tax hit. So, it might end up being multi-year liquidation.

Again thanks for your input so far.

Last edited:
To me, it is just as much, or more work to select a FA as it is to just select a handful of index funds... and I am ahead by the FA fee out of the gate.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It has all been helpful and have no problem with more suggestions/advice.

My FAs do an annual comparison using the S&P 500 and a similar type bond index. One of the reasons for my post was to check that logic. It seems to be sensible since if I were to do this myself, I would select a buy/hold portfolio that was 60/40 and simple to manage. While not in my original post, I am also experimenting with Future Adviser. They had a $19 per month introductory offer so my costs are basically the funds in the portfolio. I can easily get the costs for the funds from Personal Capital if anyone is interested but if memory serves it is about 0.22 . To date, their performance is slightly below the two FAs.

The discussion between Marinauser and ERD50 about best way to measure success was interesting. I think you are both right. But, for my retirement spending strategy, I want to meet/beat the returns achieved by a 60/40 portfolio. If I do that, my retirement continues smoothly.

I selected the FAs before having as much knowledge as I have today. I liked that they purchased mostly large cap stocks. Their 'international' exposure is based upon the megacorps international business. And, they perform a market timing effort on the downturn. They both are honest about missing some upturn opportunity by following the sell during the downturn strategy. I personally like the idea that they have flexibility for their investments i.e in good times extending beyond the 60/40 and vice versa. But, I do not want them being short term traders and they are not.

The higher performing FA, has a clear strategy for entering market segments and individual stock purchases for both buying and selling but it seems clearer for buying. The segment must be on the upswing and the stocks must be showing a recent (I believe 1 year) recovery. If when the segment declines, they sell. Over the last 8 years, most of my holdings have been consistent. Buying/selling is not frequent. One key thing that caught my interest was during the last downturn, their results were much better than the market on the downside. But, slower as the market returned. Overall a better result. Finally, I know many people who use the FA as an adviser who speak highly of the results. I can't tell you how they are making the analysis besides they are happy with their portfolios.

The other FA shares a similar approach to selling when the market is retreating. They buy/sell a little more and seem to take a more traditional approach to market analysis. It seems their advisers select segments and stocks based upon other advisers telling them what to do. Again, their performance in the last downturn caught my attention as they were able to sell during the market collapse (I was not a client at that time). This was and still is important to me. When the market retreats again, I hope I can retain more money.

Future Adviser will be an interesting data point for this 'live' test. If performance remains close, it seems like a safer way.

I would not use an adviser that charges fees for purchasing mutual funds. I can do that myself and feel it is an expensive way to be in the market.

I am concerned closing down the less successful FA and concertinaing my money. But, I am not sure if that is rationale. My other problem is it will be expensive to liquidate the portfolio since there are a fair amount of gains. To move the fund to either my Future Adviser/self manage or the FA will trigger capital gains tax hit. So, it might end up being multi-year liquidation.

Again thanks for your input so far.

Unless your FA's have your funds in proprietary investments, you should be able to move assets "in kind" (i.e. without selling and triggering capital gains). This is true whether you move to another FA or to a self-managed portfolio.

These discussions about equity "benchmarks" IMO perpetuate some common confusion.

I think there are two completely separate questions to be answered about a portfolio, and these require two quite different benchmarks:

The first question is: Am I doing the right thing? IOW, is my chosen strategy producing a competitive result? For this, the benchmark should be some simple, investable, alternative. As an example, on 1/1/15 I put exactly $100K into a benchmark portfolio that is 65% total US market and 35% total international market. I call it my "couch potato" (CP) portfolio and I don't even rebalance it. The performance of the CP is for me a good measuring stick for evaluating other portfolios. There is no "right" measuring stick but, for example, I would still use the CP to measure a portfolio that is 100% US equities. The measurement would give me an idea of whether 100% is the right thing to do, or not.

The second, and somewhat less important question, is "Am I doing the thing right?" IOW, given my asset allocation is the portfolio producing competitive results compared to a benchmark that has roughly the same allocation. @marinauser does a pretty good job of describing this type of benchmark, sometimes called a "dynamic" benchark. BUT doing the thing right is of no use at all if you are not doing the right thing. Hence, IMO it is less important. Not unimportant, but less important than question #1.

Note I am talking strictly equities here because that is my main interest. I think the questions and benchmarks are also valid for portfolios including fixed income investments, particularly question #2.

Finally, given the noisy nature of Mr. Market's signal, just like the OP I don't pay much attention to monthly, quarterly, or even annual results. I calculate a cumulative number over as long a period as I have available. This is essentially the same as the ubiquitous and valuable "Growth of $10,000" graphs. The cumulative return is what we are all after, of course.

I began investing in 2011. From 2011 - 2016, I have had growth in one adviser of 53% and the other 84%.

How does that compare to the performance of your portfolio and can you let me know if it is a buy/hold mutual fund portfolio.

Thanks
You can and should compare to some 60/40 funds such as VSMGX, VTWNX, VBIAX, DGSIX, VWENX ... This is easily done using the "Chart" feature at morningstar.com for the between any 2 dates.

Also, you will have to tell us something about your taxes, too. That's because if you gain 84%, but have to pay 50% of that in taxes along the way, then it is not really 84%.

So from 9/30/2011 to 12/31/2016,
53.5% VSMGX
55.7% VTWNX
68.1% VBIAX
52.3% DGSIX
76.1% VWENX

So if your performance numbers are after fees and taxes, then I think you should be pleased -- as long as they were invested something close to 60/40 most of the time.

Last edited:
... So if your performance numbers are after fees and taxes, then I think you should be pleased -- as long as they were invested something close to 60/40 most of the time.
AND if those are fund numbers are total return (dividend and interest reinvested). I have sometimes found it hard to be sure I am finding total return and not just nominal increase in the share price. Using nominal S&P as a benchmark is a favorite practice of the active managment hucksters.

You can and should compare to some 60/40 funds such as VSMGX, VTWNX, VBIAX, DGSIX, VWENX ... This is easily done using the "Chart" feature at morningstar.com for the between any 2 dates.

Also, you will have to tell us something about your taxes, too. That's because if you gain 84%, but have to pay 50% of that in taxes along the way, then it is not really 84%.

So from 9/30/2011 to 12/31/2016,
53.5% VSMGX
55.7% VTWNX
68.1% VBIAX
52.3% DGSIX
76.1% VWENX

So if your performance numbers are after fees and taxes, then I think you should be pleased -- as long as they were invested something close to 60/40 most of the time.

Very helpful and I did not think about the taxes I needed to pay. The account that grew 80%+ is an IRA. I still have a few years before my first RMD.

The slower growth account has had some tax hits as a result of selling equities with positive growth. I pay the taxes from other funds, outside of the account. The tax has been a very low percentage of the total account value but still would lower the return. But, would this not be true of any non-IRA account?

... The tax has been a very low percentage of the total account value but still would lower the return. But, would this not be true of any non-IRA account?
Yes, but the amount of taxable income you get is driven by the trading practices of your manager(s).

A typical active manager might have a 100% or higher annual portfolio turnover. This will (hopefully) produce gains but because the gains are realized quickly you will find yourself paying taxes on them immediately and probably not at the long-term gains rate either.

A strategy that is more buy-and-hold might well (actually probably will) produce more gains but since they are not realized quickly you will not pay taxes on them until the manager sells them after a long-term gain holding period. So you benefit from a tax-free loan from Uncle for a while, then you pay him at a reduced rate.

There are also "tax managed" mutual funds that have tax avoidance as a fundamental strategy. DTMEX, for example.

Edit: sorry, it should be "interest-free loan from Uncle" not "tax-free"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom