Should I stay or move?

I am no expert so please verify this, but we learned the hard way with my late DFIL this year that low-tax-states' Medicaid and other social net programs are not apples to apples with higher tax/service states like ours. Given your health issues, it might be wise to consult a qualified eldercare attorney or expert and think long-term about how to best position yourself and your assets in the event of Medicaid. My rudimentary understanding from DFIL's experience is that, in Arizona at least, one could keep a fully owned -house and car, but all other assets have to be spent down to $0 in the event of a nursing home. Even then, it was no guarantee he'd get Medicaid there. First we had to get power of attorney and track down and liquidate all of his accounts, which was no small project due to a crazy and uncooperative DSIL and also bill collectors looking for the same hidden assets. Even then, he had to apply for Medicaid and it was not guaranteed. He died without obtaining it and the good and dedicated nursing home was largely stiffed. So, one way to think about it is, if the worst happened, would you rather a) Own your home outright and not have to forfeit that asset in the eventuality of Medicaid/nursing home; b) Sell and rent your home so that you have a larger stash invested and more time to get commercial medical care before Medicaid kicks in and no owned-real estate to deal with then; or, c) maybe you have great long term care insurance and this is all less of a concern. There are a lot of factors, hence, my and others' comments about working a knowledgeable professional who knows your state and can help you plan. Best wishes.

Last edited:
I think I would stay where I was at if I was in your situation. You aren't spending down an exorbitant amount of your inheritance and it *should* sustain you for a significant amount of time.

In regards to the EMF, how are you dealing with that in a condo? I live in a neighborhood where we all have at least 1/2 acre lots (closer to 3/4 to 1+ acre) and looking on my phone, there are 12 available hotspots RIGHT NOW. I couldn't imagine what it would be like in a complex of condos.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It is indeed a very difficult decision, and I've considered that I could possibly be making the situation worse by moving. The HOA is not very healthy however, not enough reserves for renovation, repairs, etc. That being said, I fear moving into an even unhealthier place than the one that I'm at already. Though, can't say current place is exactly healthy as getting unexplained tinnitus + aggravated pain, possibly from proximity in bedroom to smart meters and can't sleep elsewhere due to worse EMF elsewhere in condo. (I tried shielding the walls as a possibility but don't think I could attempt this myself, as you have to shield/ground perfectly or else risk of increased electrical field. I've searched for professionals who can shield/paint for me but none are willing to come out here and do it--I guess none are confident that they understand the EMF situation well enough to attempt it). So this leaves options very limited....

Here are monthly expenses....

-Food - $387/mo due to health issues, mostly organic, do not eat out
-Landline - $43/mo
-Prepaid cell service - $25/mo
-Furnace repair - $17/mo
-Home owners insurance - $45/mo
-Tax preparation assistance (due to having a Trust and foggy brain unable to understand anything math-related - $82/mo
-Association fee - $500/mo
-Association fee assessments - upcoming, unknown $$thousands
-transportation (no car) - $75/mo
-home repair - approx $82/mo
-utilities - $130/mo
-medical - $200/mo
-medicine - $40/mo
-miscellaneous (clothing, laundry, other misc.) - $456/mo

Above figures are avg'd per month based on estimated cost - monthly income including VGD investments is only about $1900. (I'm assuming a very conservative 5% return with 3% inflation. I'm guessing I'm only getting about 2% return on my investments) Some of the money is tied up in a poor-performing investment that is illiquid, that I won't be able to touch for 5+ more years. (I seem to be losing a lot of money somewhere, maybe investments aren't performing as well as I thought, or I'm spending more on things than I realize) ...

PS. Flyboy5, there are 17 hotspots showing in condo; one is a very strong signal plus do not live too far from cell mast

Last edited:
However, have substantial savings ($480,000 +) due to an inheritance. Am on a fixed income (disability).

I calculated that my income is about $551 a month lower than my expenses. This equals to a loss of about $6624 a year.

First, sorry to hear about your disability and the loss resulting in your eventual inheritance. Sounds like you've had and still have a lot to deal with.

Perhaps here's another way to look at your situation financially. You essentially have a COLA'd pension (disability) providing most of your income to cover expenses. The balance must somehow come from your investments of $480K. So how much can you withdraw yearly without completely running out of money?

Most folks here would say to withdraw no more than 4% yearly, inflation adjusted, but even better with 3% yearly or less (concept of safe withdrawal rate SWR). Given your younger age of late 40's (guesstimated from your numbers) and disability, it would may wise be be closer to a 3% withdrawal or less.

Getting back to your specifics, a 3% SWR gives you $14,400 yearly. A super-safe 2% SWR gives you $9600 yearly, inflation adjusted! So you should be able to cover your $7K ish expenses.

Your costs could go up about 50% even after inflation every year for decades and you stand a reasonable chance of having money at the end. Furthermore, this doesn't even include the equity in your paid-off condo, which will probably keep up with inflation and can greatly help if you decide on assisted living or need long term care later.

The key assumptions are as follows:
- Broadly diversified holding with roughly 60% equity and 40% bonds (often done with a few broad market stock and bond index funds)--most money (beyond emergency fund) must be invested, not in cash/savings accnt/CD's
- Low expense ratio, say less than 0.25%
- NO financial advisor charging typically 1% to 2% yearly

Unless I grossly misunderstand the situation, you can afford your expenses and more for decades, probably indefinitely. Given the risks of moving, it may be wise to stay. Any decision to move should be driven by something other than finances.

Addendum: Saw your reply about poor performing investments. I too am getting only about 2% return on stock dividends and bond interest, but this does not include an stock appreciation. Stocks are critical especially in the current low yield environment if you want to succeed over decades. You may draw down principle on bad years, but more than recover on good years. This is why you want to keep withdrawals at 4% and below long term. What are your investment expense ratios and financial advisor costs? May want to post details--poor investment performance is often tied to high costs.

FB

Last edited:
....Above figures are avg'd per month based on estimated cost - monthly income including VGD investments is only about $1900. (I'm assuming a very conservative 5% return with 3% inflation. I'm guessing I'm only getting about 2% return on my investments) Some of the money is tied up in a poor-performing investment that is illiquid, that I won't be able to touch for 5+ more years. (I seem to be losing a lot of money somewhere, maybe investments aren't performing as well as I thought, or I'm spending more on things than I realize) ...

I don't get it. Your expenses are ~$2100/month. You have investments of $480k... if those investments return 5% in the long run (which is quite feasible) then the return from your investments of $2,000/month and your disability benefits (not sure how much or how little those are) should more than cover your expenses.... so what's the problem?

Even with a 4% withdrawal rate that would be $19k plus whatever your disability benefit is.

What does FIREcalc say?

Last edited:
So is there a medical reason you need a landline,if not you could probably drop that...

on your transportation many areas have free or very low cost transit for disabled citizens, have you checked this out?

I'd get a requote on that's homeowners as well, in a condo some insurance should be folded into the monthly fee.

I agree with the others that since you are disabled it must be a little alarming to see a shortfall every month, but at your spend you should be fine.

I have not run your numbers in a retirement calculator, so as others suggested you may be fine spending down some principal. Many posters here plan to do just that. If you prefer not having your monthly expenses exceed your income, you could probably just do odds and ends cuts and extra income to make it work. Getting rid of the landline would free up $43 of the $500. You might be able to research how to still eat healthy yet spend less. If you dropped your grocery budget by 20% there's another $76. Maybe find something easy you can do at home while watching TV on the Reddit beer money thread - there's maybe another $100 a month. Now you are already at $276 out of the $500 shortfall. Little changes in expenses and income here and there can add up over time. Low flow shower heads? Less oven more crock pot cooking? Use Bing for some searches each day and get Hulu free each month instead of paying for cable or Netflix?

I'm not a fan of the Mr. Money Mustache blog in general, but the forums there are more set up for budget reviews and they could probably help you cut some expenses. Then add in some extra income from bank bonuses, credit card hacks, downloading apps for gift cards or whatever from the various deal sites and you could probably make up the $500 shortfall in less time and hassle than it would take to sell your condo, find a new place, go through the hassle of moving and changing doctors, etc.

There is an entire town in WV that is emf free by federal law for space radio science.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Regarding the EMF issue, have you ever been tested to try to figure out just what things might affect you?

At MegaCorp, the engineers had 'screen rooms' (Faraday cages) for some testing they did. They basically looked like copper screened in porches. I don't think they were too terribly expensive, and I'd guess that much of the cost came from the need to get filtered power and other communications in/out. But if you had a screen room to sleep in, or sit and read or whatever, you could have battery operated LED lanterns (simple ones, no switching power supplies), and you could have an extended rest from any issues.

But if you got tested, you could find out which frequencies and levels bother you. I'd be surprised that smart-meters could be a problem - they are only on for a few seconds several times an hour.

If the screws in your body are acting as antennas, they will be sensitive to specific frequency ranges. It's hard to imagine that they pick up everything from 60 cycle power lines all the way to the million/billion cycles that communications gear works at.

A 1/4 wave antenna at 60 cycles would be ~ 776 miles long, while a 1/4 wave antenna at 1900 Mega-cycle (cellular band) would be ~ 1.5 inches long.

Some blind testing could show just what bothers you, and that could focus your efforts at avoiding and/or shielding from those.

-ERD50

There is an entire town in WV that is emf free by federal law for space radio science.

Sugar Grove! My annual camping trip is up the mountain from there. We can drive up to the next overlook and see the satellite dishes and other equipment they have out there for intercepting everybody's communications. Cell phone coverage sucks, which is a positive on the camping trip.

I wonder if there is any way you could "barter" for some of the services you currently pay for - perhaps offer to babysit on some weekend nights in exchange for someone helping with the house repairs or even tax assistance?

Moving sounds extra complicated and your place seems to fit your needs right now. It sounds like you wish to maintain a balanced income and expenses phase until you wish to go into a depletion phase at another time. I agree with looking at expenses such as the landline and tax prep etc. The other option is to find any little increase on the income side such as work as telephone assistance or product support. A roomate might add financial support and companionship, although the screening process may be interesting.

Regarding the EMF issue, have you ever been tested to try to figure out just what things might affect you?

Where would someone get tested for something like this? Just curious.....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

You guys have helped me put this all in perspective, thanks! In reviewing the budget, had quite an embarrassing oversight. Instead of losing $551 a month, I'm actually losing $895/mo, because I forgot that a huge chunk of my investments is tied up in a trust that is largely illiiquid.

The trust is hardly earning anything, and the investment firm said 5% is the only allowable w/d per year. Since inception, it's earned <1%/yr.

I wish I could just transfer the Trust assets to Vgd but for some reason due to it being a trust, w/d is limited to 5% annually, due to the special stipulations of the trust. Anyway, I am probably shelling out at least 2%/yr in expenses even if the fund ever does well.

Here is the updated budget:

$1,565.00 (total monthly income (disability + investments---assuming a very conservative return of 2% after inflation in this crazy market)
v.
$2,460.00 (total monthly expenses)
----
= - $895.00 (total monthly shortfall

Because of my investments being tied up in the Trust that is earning virtually zero, my total investable assets (which are all in VGD), are only $241885.00.

In Firecalc, I inputted 40+ more years to live, 3% inflation w/ no changes in income. In the investments section, I'm only including the $241885.00 - the rest of the $480K is a wild card, because it's either illiquid or tied up in the Trust. Firecalc said 99% of the cycles fail but not sure if I inputted correctly, could someone please doublecheck my figures there? (I only counted the liquid assets of $241885-all of it in VGD in the investment section in Firecalc. I accepted the default of .18 expense ratio, stock/bond mix, etc. It still has me at 99% failure rate, but I feel like I'm not doing something correctly...

Thanks for reading this far, with this updated budget, would staying in my condo still be a good idea? I HATE the idea of moving and would love to make it work financially even with the crappy HOA fee increase uncertainty.

PS. Thanks all for the suggestions on how to cut costs, I will try some of them esp. see if I'm paying too much on homeowners ins.

Last edited:
jqrz: Please note that I do not have anywhere near the level of financial intelligence that many on this site do but here is my general, off-the-cuff thoughts on your situation: It sounds like the trust you have doesn't work very well for you, but might work well for whoever is making money off of your assets that are in it. Would you potentially be better off to have them give you the maximum annual payment from the trust (you stated it is very illiquid so the max you can get is 5% of a balance of $480k which should be $24,00.00 for the first year ($2000 per month)) and continue this maximum withdraw of 5% of the trust balance annually until you have used up all of the trust) and then use your disability paycheck to make up the difference of your monthly expenses (the extra $5,520.00 per year you indicate with monthly expenses of $2,460.00)? The first several years you wouldn't need to pull anything from your Vanguard account to meet your annual expenses but over time you would eventually need to pull from it as your trust payments would decrease as the balance decreases (if it never actually makes any money except for the trust managers).
I realize I am overly simplifying it, but it sounds to me that you need to get as much bang as you can out of your poor performing trust in order to preserve the balance in your $240K Vanguard for later use.

In Firecalc, did you put in your disability pension amount as well? It will always fail for sure if you're trying to use $240k to provide a $30k annual income without any supplemental sources of income.

As the beneficiary of the trust, you should at least be able to get an understanding of how the trust's assets are invested and perhaps even make suggestions to the trustee as to what you would like to see them invested in (considering the terms of the trust). One thing to understand is the <1%/yr because they are invested in low yielding assets or because of high fees or a combination of both?

I wonder if the terms of the trust would allow the trust to purchase a SPIA for your benefit. If that is possible then based on current SPIA rates that would provide a tad over $1,000/month income (fixed, not COLAed).

Is the 5% limitation based on the initial trust balance or the trust balance at the end of the previous year?

If you can't influence the trust to improve the performance or the fees are excessive then perhaps your best strategy is to take maximum distributions from the trust and invest any excess of distributions over what you need to live on in your Vanguard accounts. That would also improve your situation.

Are your disability income benefits COLAed? If so, have you set them up as COLAed in Firecalc?

Another thought is that if no changes can be made to the trust then that is the functional equivalent of a bond portfolio (albeit a low yielding one) and your $240k of Vanguard investments could be 100% equities so combined you are at an equivalent of 50/50 AA. Or alternatively, if you can influence how the trust assets are invested then go as aggressive as possible in the trust (given the trust provisions) of the limit is 5% of the balance and invest your personal funds more conservatively.

Once you get the investment side sorted out then you can use the investigate tab to see what you can spend annually and still have a decent success rate.... I suspect it will be around $2,000/month or perhaps a bit more so you'll need to take a hard look at reducing expenses.

However to help provide more clarity, what is your monthly DI benefit and is it COLAed? Will it change once you reach SS retirement age or is your DI benefit more than your retirement benefit based on your work record?

Last edited:
Jqrz: In your initial posting, we've had to read between the lines. You're obviously living in the north to have snow, property taxes and carrying costs of the condo are very high, the community is not top notch and you have health issues.

Top notch healthcare is available all over the U.S. for most normal ailments. Will your health hold steady in the future given proper healthcare? Do you have any personal or family ties to any specific place that you'd like to live?

I moved to Northwest Alabama for the Tennessee River, the incredible low cost of living, housing, etc. And because my wife is disabled, we don't even have property taxes. Our society is also relatively stable and safe. There are also many places throughout the south that are comparable--high quality places to live on a budget. Many of these are the major university towns with great culture and lifestyle.

The trust is hardly earning anything, and the investment firm said 5% is the only allowable w/d per year. Since inception, it's earned <1%/yr.

I wish I could just transfer the Trust assets to Vgd but for some reason due to it being a trust, w/d is limited to 5% annually, due to the special stipulations of the trust. Anyway, I am probably shelling out at least 2%/yr in expenses even if the fund ever does well.

Here is the updated budget:

$1,565.00 (total monthly income (disability + investments---assuming a very conservative return of 2% after inflation in this crazy market)
v.
$2,460.00 (total monthly expenses)
----
= - $895.00 (total monthly shortfall

Because of my investments being tied up in the Trust that is earning virtually zero, my total investable assets (which are all in VGD), are only $241885.00.

Hi jqrz,

Thanks for the updated numbers. This makes more sense and more obvious why you are concerned about running out of $$

The bottom line: I agree with the other response for drawing down the trust as quickly as allowed. Firecalc suggests that you can use the dividends and cap gains from your Vanguard investments to make up any shortfall. Furthermore, you are likely to have more than enough to survive on just your disability and Vanguard investments even when your trust runs out.

The basic plan:

Years 1 to 20: expenses funded by disability, plus 5% of trust annually, and about 1.5% of Vanguard (dividends/cap gains) annually.

Years 21 to 40+: expenses funded by disability, and balance from Vanguard dividends, cap gains and possibly principle (depending on market).

Overall, I believe you stand an excellent chance of making it 40+ years in more or less your current situation/lifestyle, if desired. Of course, reducing expenses helps add even further margin of safety, again only if desired. Firecal gives 99% chance of success over 40 yrs if you are willing to completely spend down your trust. Realistically, though, I'd call it 90% plus since we haven't factored in margin for condo special assessments, extra health costs, and "unknown unknowns". Still I'd consider this an excellent start.

The details (if so inclined):

Given:

Expenses: $2460 monthly or $29,520 annually

Income (disability + 2% of Vanguard): $1565 monthly or $18,780 annually

Savings:
Trust + Vanguard: $480,000
Vanguard (assume market growth): $241,855

Therefore, we calculate:
Trust (assume 0% growth): $238,115
Trust, 5% annually: $11,906
Vanguard, 2% annual: $4,838

Therefore, the trust will last about 20 years at 5% annual draw, assuming 0% annual growth.

From total income stated above and 2% income from Vanguard, we estimate your disability income at $1,162 monthly or $13,942 yearly.

Plan for years 1 to 20:
$13,942 disability + $11,906 trust + $3,672 Vanguard dividends = $29,520 expenses

Plan for yrs 21 to 40+: $13,942 disability + $15,578 Vanguard dividends/cap gain and principle as needed = $29,520 expenses

Notes:
- Under this plan we assume the trust is completely consumed in 20 yrs.

- Firecalc gives 99% survival of Vanguard investents for 40 total years, with a shortfall of only about $15,000 in the worst case historic scenario (probably if you had retired in 1966). The good news is that the average ending value is $883,177, when you only start with $241,855! I used all default settings, except for 3% inflation instead of the default CPI, based on your own Firecalc run. Note that the 40 yrs success improves to 100% if you use the default CPI inflation adjustment. Expenses are input as $3672 yearly, then increasing by $11,906 (off chart spending, tab 2 in Fircalc) to give a total of $15,578 starting year 21.

- Inflation assumptions. We assume your disability is COLA'd (inflation adjusted). Is it?? The Vanguard numbers are COLA'd in the Firecalc run, of course. As for the trust, it may be hard to entirely judge performance based on 2015. For example, my VGD total bond index fund yielded only about 2% in 2015, similar to the dividend + cap gains on the S&P 500 index fund. In your trust, however, a 2% gain is probably completely taken by the advisor's 2% fee, leaving you with zero gain, actually a loss after inflation! Hopefully, even this dog will do better on decent market years, at least keeping up with inflation if the good years make up for the bad and mediocre ones.

Feel free to PM if you want the spreadsheet calcs and/or firecalc output or anything else.

FB

Last edited:
Freebear you are assuming the trust keeps up with inflation and not 0%. Otherwise it will not last 20 years. That is probably unrealistic as things stand.

Echoing what someone else mentioned above - The OP needs to understand more what assets the trust is invested in and if there is any scope to change them. It may be a case that it is invested in some default safe option and could be changed. If not then the vanguard account may be aggressive if the trust is in safe assets.

I think though the OP also needs to focus on getting those expenses down somehow

Last edited:
If the constraint is that the trust can only distribute 5% of the prior year's balance (rather than 5% of the trust's beginning balance) I think the risk of ruin is dependent on the long-term return of the Vanguard money. However, the analysis below suggests that with a 7% return from the Vanguard money that you would be ok (assuming that the DI income is COLAed).

IMO it would not be imprudent to be 100% equities with the Vanguard money given that your DI income and trust benefit covers a large percentage of your needs initially so there is not high sequence of returns risk since the withdrawals in the first 5 years are relatively modest. Below assumes trust earns 1% and 3% inflation.

TrustCash flowVanguard account
5% withdr'lGrowthBalanceExpensesDI IncomeTrustGapWithdr'lsReturnBalance
01.0%238,1153.0%3.0%7.0%240,000
1(11,906)2,262228,47129,52013,94211,9063,672(3,672)16,543252,871
2(11,424)2,170219,21830,40614,36011,4244,622(4,622)17,377265,626
3(10,961)2,083210,34031,31814,79110,9615,566(5,566)18,204278,265
4(10,517)1,998201,82132,25715,23510,5176,506(6,506)19,023290,782
5(10,091)1,917193,64733,22515,69210,0917,442(7,442)19,834303,174
6(9,682)1,840185,80534,22216,1639,6828,377(8,377)20,636315,433
7(9,290)1,765178,28035,24816,6479,2909,311(9,311)21,429327,551
8(8,914)1,694171,05936,30617,1478,91410,245(10,245)22,211339,517
9(8,553)1,625164,13137,39517,6618,55311,181(11,181)22,984351,320
10(8,207)1,559157,48438,51718,1918,20712,119(12,119)23,744362,945
11(7,874)1,496151,10639,67218,7377,87413,061(13,061)24,492374,376
12(7,555)1,436144,98640,86319,2997,55514,008(14,008)25,226385,593
13(7,249)1,377139,11442,08819,8787,24914,961(14,961)25,944396,576
14(6,956)1,322133,48043,35120,4746,95615,921(15,921)26,646407,301
15(6,674)1,268128,07444,65221,0896,67416,889(16,889)27,329417,741
16(6,404)1,217122,88745,99121,7216,40417,866(17,866)27,991427,865
17(6,144)1,167117,91047,37122,3736,14418,854(18,854)28,631437,642
18(5,896)1,120113,13548,79223,0445,89619,853(19,853)29,245447,035
19(5,657)1,075108,55350,25623,7355,65720,864(20,864)29,832456,003
20(5,428)1,031104,15651,76324,4475,42821,888(21,888)30,388464,503
21(5,208)98999,93853,31625,1815,20822,928(22,928)30,910472,486
22(4,997)94995,89154,91625,9364,99723,983(23,983)31,395479,898
23(4,795)91192,00756,56326,7144,79525,055(25,055)31,839486,682
24(4,600)87488,28158,26027,5164,60026,144(26,144)32,238492,776
25(4,414)83984,70560,00828,3414,41427,253(27,253)32,587498,110
26(4,235)80581,27561,80829,1914,23528,382(28,382)32,881502,609
27(4,064)77277,98363,66330,0674,06429,532(29,532)33,115506,193
28(3,899)74174,82565,57230,9693,89930,704(30,704)33,284508,773
29(3,741)71171,79467,54031,8983,74131,900(31,900)33,381510,254
30(3,590)68268,88769,56632,8553,59033,121(33,121)33,399510,533
31(3,444)65466,09771,65333,8413,44434,368(34,368)33,332509,497
32(3,305)62863,42073,80234,8563,30535,641(35,641)33,170507,025
33(3,171)60260,85176,01635,9023,17136,944(36,944)32,906502,987
34(3,043)57858,38778,29736,9793,04338,276(38,276)32,530497,241
35(2,919)55556,02280,64638,0882,91939,638(39,638)32,032489,635
36(2,801)53253,75383,06539,2312,80141,033(41,033)31,402480,004
37(2,688)51151,57685,55740,4082,68842,462(42,462)30,628468,171
38(2,579)49049,48888,12441,6202,57943,925(43,925)29,697453,943
39(2,474)47047,48390,76842,8692,47445,425(45,425)28,596437,114
40(2,374)45145,56093,49144,1552,37446,962(46,962)27,311417,463

Last edited:
Wow, thanks everyone! Having it all in a visual and graphic way really helps to visualize it all in the long-term. The disability is COLAed. It is currently $1155/mo. It will also stay the same once I reach retirement age.

Looking at the trust in more detail, it's actually invested in a mixture of bonds and equities. Estimating about a 2.5% overall fee as best as could tell based on the confusing prospectus and mounds of paperwork.

I tried to dig further as to the 5% rule and can reasonably ascertain that every year, I have access to the greater of $5000 per year or 5% of fair mkt value of the trust/yr. If this is the case, I could take $5000 out even if the trust has dwindled to $10,000 but that doesn't make sense either. (Googled "5 by 5" and "Crummey powers", some sort of obscure rule in trusts, and investopedia had the easiest to digest explanation but even then, unsure if this applies to my Trust.)

The Porfolio section of FIRECalc is confusing - the Total Market and Mixed Portfolio sections seem to choose a very specific array of investment types. For example, I have too many types of investments to fit into the choices available in Mixed Portfolio and Total Market, which leaves only Random Performance. I just match the numbers in the prospectus with the choices there, e.g. "portfolio return" and how much it has peaked or dipped since inception. Is this the right way to go about FIRECalc?

I really appreciate the time everyone has taken crunching the numbers so far, it gives me a much better idea of the horizon! Thanks again.

Last edited:
I happened save the model from before and updated it for the slight difference in DI benefits, increase in trust return and change in what can be taken out of the trust (the greater of 5% or $5,000). I also reduced the Vanguard return to see how low it could be and still not break. I think you'll be fine. IMO your situation is difficult to put into Firecalc but Firecal is most useful for assessing sequence of returns risk and your sequence of returns risk is low because early year withdrawals are low.

Needless to say, YMMV.

TrustCash flowVanguard account
5% withdr'lGrowthBalanceExpensesDI IncomeTrustGapWithdr'lsReturnBalance
02.5%238,1153.0%3.0%6.0%240,000
1(11,906)5,655231,86429,52013,86011,9063,754(3,754)14,175250,420
2(11,593)5,507225,77830,40614,27611,5934,537(4,537)14,753260,637
3(11,289)5,362219,85131,31814,70411,2895,325(5,325)15,319270,631
4(10,993)5,221214,08032,25715,14510,9936,120(6,120)15,871280,382
5(10,704)5,084208,46133,22515,60010,7046,921(6,921)16,408289,868
6(10,423)4,951202,98934,22216,06810,4237,731(7,731)16,928299,065
7(10,149)4,821197,66035,24816,55010,1498,549(8,549)17,431307,947
8(9,883)4,694192,47236,30617,0469,8839,377(9,377)17,914316,484