Siestas

FIREDreamer + ha, I agree 100%!!!

I haven't seen the movie, but have heard many say that it's much better than the book. The book, which I read, is shot through with condescension and superiority. You get the sense the author is a highly-acquisitive person and is buying (and now re-selling) a package dream just like so many others catering to tourists. Which is fine as far as it goes...that's the biggest industry we have in this area.. just be aware that her "dream" (of getting back to basics with all the poetry, etc.) is actually particularly co$tly and in no way basic. I give her props like I give Martha Stewart, for cashing in on people's need for fantasy.

It's just that she, out of all the similar authors (and there are dozens), just gets up my nose with her tone, and when I heard about the volunteer [-]fence-painting[/-] olive-picking I admit I blew a gasket!

Anyone wanna come and fix my stone wall for free? It's in TUSCANY!!! The mason we talked to about it IN MARCH has been taking a six-month siesta! :D:D:D :rolleyes:

[Funny comment by my visiting Mom in Montalcino (we were drinking the cheaper Rosso, not the Brunello, n.b.).. looking around at the shades of ochre and the ancient walls, and the peeling wooden shutters and the Roman statue in its alcove: "It looks POOR.. they should buy some paint and fix it up!!!!" I almost died laughing and told her people spend a ton to come and be surrounded by picturesque cruftyness.]

Back
Top Bottom