Simple Dividend Income Calculator (Early Beat)

I just tried same 46.0.1 Firefox and see the pop-up. I am using android mobile version.
Sounds like you may have a blocker enabled.
I would prefer to type in the dates, myself. But cannot.

I'm using firefox on a linux system, no ad blocker.
I can go to aa.com and click on the date to book a flight and their calendar pops up fine.

Attachments

• 2016_06_05_12:17:31_001.png
    2016_06_05_12:17:31_001.png
    77 KB · Views: 7
I want to be clear, I'm not complaining, just reporting what I see/experience for petersk to know.
He is free to do what he wants with that info.

It works without a popup so that is good.

I also notice if I put in a symbol that is bad, it shows all sorts of error messages, instead of just a dialog box saying invalid symbol (or even fixing the error or suggesting a fix).

petershhk: Thanks for this! Very useful when comparing numerous Vanguard funds with each other. Looking forward to further enhancements!

I want to be clear, I'm not complaining, just reporting what I see/experience for petersk to know.
He is free to do what he wants with that info.

It works without a popup so that is good.

I also notice if I put in a symbol that is bad, it shows all sorts of error messages, instead of just a dialog box saying invalid symbol (or even fixing the error or suggesting a fix).
I'm no the developer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I just used FF 46.0.1 on Windows 7. This was first time I had tried the calculator with any desktop browser. I also do not see the popup calendar. Evidently the calendar uses a resource FF doesn't have, or can't get to.

When you put in an invalid symbol rather than date, you'd expect an error. So all is well.

I just used FF 46.0.1 on Windows 7. This was first time I had tried the calculator with any desktop browser. I also do not see the popup calendar. Evidently the calendar uses a resource FF doesn't have, or can't get to.

When you put in an invalid symbol rather than date, you'd expect an error. So all is well.

You're exactly right :).
I was lazy and used the HTML5 "date" tag which is not consistently supported or implemented hence on some browsers and devices it may not show up at all or be pretty terrible to use. Will make it better soon.

Happily implementing jquery datepicker was easier than I thought (doesn't happen often).

Give it a try and please let me know if there's any problems. I tested in a few browsers on my laptop and phone, but hardly exhaustive.

The hacky, quick-dev code I've been doing is starting to get a bit unweildly so I probably have to spend a day or two and refactor (for non programmers this means I didn't plan well which means I now have to rewrite everything :) ).

I was not clear.
When I put an incorrect symbol in the stock field it shows errors.

Example enter: brk.b instead of brk/b in the stock field.

The calendar works great now in FF.

I was not clear.
When I put an incorrect symbol in the stock field it shows errors.

Example enter: brk.b instead of brk/b in the stock field.

The calendar works great now in FF.
Yes, calendar is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what the exact problem is with "." instead of "/", but it brings back memories of parameterization, or something like that. The database may be enforcing rules, or perhaps it is in the app. Or maybe both.

I have noticed on various stock sites that some have the symbol as brk.b and others as brk/b
Perhaps there is no real standardization, or it was just programmer whim at those sites. I'm pretty sure there is a legal definition of the symbol.

So the issue is depending upon where the values are looked up at, determines which symbols are valid.
My only point was instead of letting the program error out, it could figure out the value is not really valid and stop the user right there with some message.

Very cool! thanks for sharing this

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Glad you like it. I'm getting close to supporting 15 quotes with different amounts and looking at performance over time.

I hope that will be more useful.

I live dev at divicalc.com/index_dev.php but there's no guarantee of reliable functionality :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Excellent!
But I'm getting an odd message in red at the top even though the results from the ticker in question are very close to spot-on.

Warning: Symbol: trrgx does not have data until 2015-1-2. Date has been changed accordingly.

I get this message for all the tickers I enter but the results come out well.

Last edited:
marko: yeah I saw that error. It seems to ALWAYS correct the date no matter what. I have a few days before I think I can push out the newer version. Hopefully it won't be too confusing.

Ok. Pretty major update.
I refactored a bunch of stuff which allowed me to add more symbols. You can now enter up to 15 with different $ amounts for each.

You can still see the old functionality if you just enter one stock and one amount.

When there's more than one I omit the monthly distributions and just show the annual total. I found that when it showed the "tons of dividends" it became a bit unreadable.

Feedback welcome!

Doesn't work for me now with the latest update. No place to add my amount. There is a black box I assume is the place for the amount but can't add anything

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Can you tell me browser/operating system?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

On my Samsung 7s, it worked on it before the upgrade, chrome and Android

Working now. Must have been something on my end

Oh boy, I'm really enjoying this tool. Your addition of the multi symbol functionality has greatly simplified my fund(s) analysis. Thanks!

The divicalc.com site is very helpful.
Just used it for SCHD, and it answered several questions in one organized page.
Thanks for the improvements!

The update is really great. Using the default dates showed my index ETFs performing better than a couple of my stock picks. I tried to adjust for a different time frame, but one of the ETFs hasn't been around that long.

I entered a few additional holdings and the Index funds were still winning. Again, not by a huge margin which makes me feel okay about my individual picks, but indexing provided a slightly better return with a whole lot less work.

Of course everyone's results will be different and past performance does not guarantee future results. I provide my example for information purposes only. :LOL: :cool:

cd :O)

Back
Top Bottom