Single men of ER...chime in pls

Everyone is different but in my case, no. I want someone who can pay his own way on a Business-Class long haul once or twice a year. I'll paddle my own canoe but I don't want anyone else in the canoe just sitting there even if he's great eye candy.

I must admit that is also a concern for me. Though I would settle for a lady who at least could afford the better versions of Premium Economy if she is wiling to climb to the top of Giotto's Tower. :D

Not single yet, but there is a high probability I will outlive DW due to her current medical condition. That sounds grim, but we both understand this is the situation.

If I were to become suddenly single again, there would be no way in Hell I would remarry. Not that marriage is a bad thing, but I can get by quite well with what I have and if I needed anything else, I could pay for the service. Several of my male friends are doing just this and successfully for a long period of time.

I could see a situation where I could live happily with another female, but that would have to be a truly unique situation. I would not pursue this goal at all.

Im in the same situation and have been thinking exactly the same. I'm not proud of myself, but I do give some thought to what I would do when the worst occurs, and short of me getting run over by a bus, I will be living a considerable time without my wife. I keep coming back to the fact that the odds are against me given the divorce rates and that I'd struggle with spending the proceeds of assets my wife helped me acquire on another woman. My biggest worry is that I will confuse missing my wife with a desire for companionship and do something stupid. As someone else posted, being with the wrong person is infinitely worse than being alone. Hopefully I can increase time spent with family (kids and grandkids) to help combat the loneliness that is inevitable.

On a less negative note, I've promised myself I'll watch a couple of episodes of "Snapped" before I will get into another relationship. It's a show on Oxygen channel described as "Each episode of this true-crime reality series examines a different felon, usually a female, who has committed murder or attempted murder. The victim is usually the perpetrator's partner."

As always, you guys are no help - I thought I'd get some leads 'hey I know so and so, where do you live...' sorta thing ya know?

Oh well...at least the posts have been super fun to read as someone said way more fun than analyzing the 4% SWR three times a week lol

So much that I want to respond to in this thread. But mostly this:

I do recall one fellow in college, who complained that if a man got excited he had to have sex, or else his penis might explode..

This is the absolute truth.

Interesting how this thread revolves a lot around "adventures in becoming not single" and gratitude of not having to participate in said exploits.

How about the experience of actually living a single life?

Yes. I got lucky and got hooked on DW at age 19. Don't even like to think about how much the dating world (and I!) has changed since 1979; this thread is an eye opener.

I also got hooked on DW at age 19, difference being, this was in the early 00's and I was in my late 40's.:dance:

I was single at age 48 after 17 years of marriage. I had a great job, new Mustang convertible, beautiful apartment and was in great physical condition. The three years I lived this life were absolutely a wild time. Enough said.

Well, contrary to most on here, I met DW on Match.com. Today is our 5th wedding anniversary. After the exW took her cheating ass out of my life at age 38 and 19 years together, I thought I was done with marriage. But, I realized the previous 10 or so years of that relationship had been "quiet desperation" as mentioned earlier, and not really a true picture of how marriage could be.

Was on Match for about 3 or so months before meeting DW. I refused to lie about height (even though all my female friends said to lie and say 6' - I'm 5'10"). If she wouldn't want me due to 2" of stature, then she is not for me. I had women coming out of the woodwork for dates. I was a bit embarrassed really, as I am a shy, engineer guy with zero "game" with the ladies. But apparently a 39 year old guy with a job, house, full head of hair and no kids or other baggage is a hot commodity. haha

All the issues mentioned earlier happened to me as well, most of the women lied like hell.
1) Not mentioning their kids until the first date? Like I am going to be stunned by their beauty and take over the lease on their kids? I think I will notice little Junior.
2) Out of date photos that were 30+ pounds ago....
3) Still married and "thinking about leaving him", I will not be "the other guy".
4) Too lazy to put on a little makeup and a nice outfit for a 1st date? First impressions are everything as they say. I don't wear my nicest clothes every day either, but on a first date with my potential future spouse you can bet I am bringing everything I got to the table.

I'll tell you the photos of men on match.com that completely turn me off: the hunters who pose with a gun and dead animal. Sorry, but automatic elimination for me. Ugh.

The experience of living a single life? Sometimes exhilarating and satisfying, sometimes lonely and sad. In short, probably not a whole lot different, emotionally, than living a married life. Living single does certainly foster independence. The hardest thing (for me) can be making major decisions without someone to negotiate them with.

Last edited:
So with the folks who are dating or got married later in life as a widow or divorcee, what do you think of prenuptial agreements? Especially for those who are trying to avoid the gold diggers.

So with the folks who are dating or got married later in life as a widow or divorcee, what do you think of prenuptial agreements? Especially for those who are trying to avoid the gold diggers.

Given the divorce rate on 2nd marriages (last I heard it was 70%) and any substantial assets I'd think a prenup would be essential.

I'm not cheap - have done a few weekend trips with the GF and haven't asked her to pay for anything. All part of a traditional courtship. To her credit she's taken me to some nice dinners too.

Longer term, though, any new companion/wife will get only what I want her to have, and I have -0- interest in anyone who can not support themselves independently.

In addition, I'm still raising kids that have to be provided for, and the assets I have were accumulated by their mother and I for the benefit of that family unit.

If it's a pre-nup or a structural change in how the assets are held, they will be protected.

It can't get you out of being obligated to pay for their long-term care (till you spend down to about $120K) if they don't bring the funds into the marriage to pay for that.

When DH and I married I had way more assets and higher earning power than he did, but we'd been dating for 6 years and knew him well enough I didn't see the need for a pre-nup. Our values when it came to money were very similar. Never had a problem.

It can't get you out of being obligated to pay for their long-term care (till you spend down to about $120K) if they don't bring the funds into the marriage to pay for that.

When DH and I married I had way more assets and higher earning power than he did, but we'd been dating for 6 years and knew him well enough I didn't see the need for a pre-nup. Our values when it came to money were very similar. Never had a problem.

Thanks for the info, would be an issue in my situation, as DGF is several years older than my 57. Probably why she has emphasized she has LTC coverage. Nice to be hanging with someone smarter than me :)

Burn that bridge when we come to it, and it's not even on the horizon now. Will probably still spend a stupid amount of attorney bucks trying to find a way around it ;)

This is a good thread and I enjoyed reading it. I don't have any answers, if I did I could be a billionaire. Having said that, I have found that Karen Carpenter often times in her songs described perfectly how hard relationships between two people can be. My favorite is " I need to be in love". If anyone likes the Carpenters and knows this song, they will agree. Just to know that someone at sometime felt the same feelings and put the words to a song should provide some level of comfort, if even it is so very small.

I have enjoyed this thread and read each post. Thank you all for the honest sharing.

Interesting how this thread revolves a lot around "adventures in becoming not single" and gratitude of not having to participate in said exploits.

I'm currently single and am okay with it as I'm not the type that needs other company all the time...it's either the right person or no one at all. That being said, I play in several bands and have a large social group so there's usually something going on 4 or 5 days a week or more, and I meet new people all the time and date regularly.

I do live in a winter climate and for those who live here and don't get out much and don't have any hobbies, winter here can be very lonely. One of my golfing buddies lives alone and rarely gets out in winter. He's due to retire this fall and I don't know what he'll do with his time.

This is a good thread and I enjoyed reading it. I don't have any answers, if I did I could be a billionaire. Having said that, I have found that Karen Carpenter often times in her songs described perfectly how hard relationships between two people can be. My favorite is " I need to be in love". If anyone likes the Carpenters and knows this song, they will agree. Just to know that someone at sometime felt the same feelings and put the words to a song should provide some level of comfort, if even it is so very small.

Love Karen's voice, probably the best of her style and era. Maybe Linda Rondstadt is close.

There's a long thread I could start about songs that describe aspects of relationships, but I would hog it ;).

Here a few that have provided some solace over the last few years:
Beginnings - Chicago
Peaceful Easy Feeling - Eagles
I Touch Myself - The Divinyls (hey, a guy needs to dream ;))
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
Feels Like Rain - John Hiatt
Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch

Originally Posted by aja8888
Not single yet, but there is a high probability I will outlive DW due to her current medical condition. That sounds grim, but we both understand this is the situation.

If I were to become suddenly single again, there would be no way in Hell I would remarry. Not that marriage is a bad thing, but I can get by quite well with what I have and if I needed anything else, I could pay for the service. Several of my male friends are doing just this and successfully for a long period of time.

I could see a situation where I could live happily with another female, but that would have to be a truly unique situation. I would not pursue this goal at all.
Im in the same situation and have been thinking exactly the same. I'm not proud of myself, but I do give some thought to what I would do when the worst occurs, and short of me getting run over by a bus, I will be living a considerable time without my wife. I keep coming back to the fact that the odds are against me given the divorce rates and that I'd struggle with spending the proceeds of assets my wife helped me acquire on another woman. My biggest worry is that I will confuse missing my wife with a desire for companionship and do something stupid. As someone else posted, being with the wrong person is infinitely worse than being alone. Hopefully I can increase time spent with family (kids and grandkids) to help combat the loneliness that is inevitable.

On a less negative note, I've promised myself I'll watch a couple of episodes of "Snapped" before I will get into another relationship. It's a show on Oxygen channel described as "Each episode of this true-crime reality series examines a different felon, usually a female, who has committed murder or attempted murder. The victim is usually the perpetrator's partner."

Gentlemen, I know whereof you speak. Late wife survived about a year after her stage 4 cancer diagnosis, and I knew from the day we got the word my life would eventually change.

Learned to not feel guilty about thinking about life beyond her, even though the conversations we had were limited to taking care of the kids (early on) and a throw away she made near the end to "not spend it on hair salons and mani-pedis" :)

Understand the desire to think about life in the future, I did at a few points, but ultimately found considering possibilities of what life could be was more useful than sketching out plans. She survived longer than we both anticipated, and we got to do a few things we had not expected. Very happy to have the extra time.

My other advice is to be grateful for the time that remains, and for the time you had.

There will be time in the future to decide if you want to share your life with someone else again, so don't pressure yourselves into making that decision now.

This has been hard to write, best of luck to both of you, and your wives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was briefly on eharmony about 12 years ago after getting divorced and then dating someone fun and cute for several years but too young to get serious with (didnt want to start a second family). Anyways met a person immediately and hit it off pretty good. After a couple dates she asked me how old I was. I told her 40....She responds "I have never dated anyone as old as you". I asked her then "well how old are you?". She said she was 29. I then said "Well I guess we got something in common as I have not dated anyone as old as you are either". We broke up 4-5 months later...Same problem, she wanted rug rats and was eager to get started and I didnt want any.
Found my true love at a local game. Spotted her in the crowd and used "Russian back door channels" to get the ball rolling...10 years later and still together and no "rug rat" problem as she is about my age and was done with that too.

This has been a great thread .I was widowed at 51 and the thought of dating again made me nauseous but eventually I did and after some frogs I found a crazy guy who was a good match . We have been together for 17 good years . Today I took a friend for a Colonscopy and I realized that as we age we need someone even a good friend to help you with medical things .So even if you do not have a partner have a lot of friends .

Back
Top Bottom