Sleep after FIRE

Prior to retiring I normally went to bed about 1:00 a.m. and got up at 5:45 a.m. on work days and about 7:30 a.m. on days off.

The day after I retired I started going to bed between 1:30 to 2 :30 a.m. and sleeping until about 8:00 a.m. The TV goes off at midnight, then I sit up and read for an hour or two before going to sleep. Once in awhile I may get up to use the bathroom, but that's the exception rather than the rule. That's been my habit now for just shy of 15 years, and I've only set an alarm clock maybe a dozen times in all of that time.

I used to sleep soundly for 8 hours each night and would feel very lousy the next day if I did not get it.

However, my sleep time is now less, and not continuous. I think it is caused by old age more than work or lack thereof.

I used to be a horrible sleeper. Actually convinced myself it was okay (or maybe even some kind of productivity superpower) to be able to go several nights in a row without sleep, and even the nights I did sleep were for only a couple hours.

Now... I can sleep like a baby. Maybe its less stress. Maybe its understanding what's really important (and the things I would wake it to urgently do before... weren't).

Not sure if im adding years to my life or not with my sleep habits - but im fairly certain im no longer taking them off. ;)

For the last three years that I have been recording my sleep patterns, I have been averaging 6 hours per night. And I am OK with that.

Now after 2 months, Im seeing a better pattern... there is hope

I have always had a problem with sleep. I have always been an early riser. I didn't want to miss anything. In college and grad school I had a heavy schedule and started my day with early classes. When I started teaching I had the opportunity to set my own schedule and began with 8am classes. Once I retired 10 years ago I still began my day very early (I have animals that need to be fed) usually before the sun comes up and I take my bike ride to watch the sunrise. Now that age is taking it's toll sitting and lying down are uncomfortable so I wake up during the typical 5 hours a night. No long nights of sleep for me.

Cheers!

Unlike most of the replies, my sleep is subjectively worse in the last 8 years, but I've probably had more and higher quality sleep.

With the alarm clock and trying to extend the personal time in the evening, I was sleep deprived while working. And so my sleep efficiency was near 100%. The cost was sleepy daytime hours sometimes.

Once the alarm clock went in the trash, I learned how to go back to sleep in the morning, turning a 6am rising into an 8am rising. But this ability killed my sleep efficiency: I now regularly lay awake from 3:30 to 5. I do make up for it by getting up later, but that shifts toward a later bedtime, and so poses a problem getting to sleep at a normal bedtime.

Pre retirement six hours.

Post retirement eight hours.

I've rarely had much trouble sleeping. I think my fear now is that I probably sleep too much. I blame the Covid hiatus, but maybe I'm just getting old. In any case, I need to cut back though YMMV.

I'm often up at 3:00 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. I'll stay up until taking the granddaughter to school at 7:15. Then I'll come home and take a nap.

Late afternoon, I'll take another nap of about 1:00.

Sometimes I go to sleep with my laptop in my lap @ 9:00 p.m. Sometimes I'm up until 2:00 a.m.

My hours are inconsistent because I can take naps. Note; I am on CPAP and sleep very well when I do go to sleep. CPAP users can get by on less sleep than those without CPAP due to getting more oxygen.

I've had sleep problems on and off both before FIRE and after. Was never losing sleep over w*rk before retiring though, I never let w*ork stress get to that level. Right after FIRE I was setting my alarm for 8:30 because I wanted to have the choice of getting up and being productive vs. "Sleeping late". 5+ years into FIRE, I don't set the alarm anymore. I find that if all is good/healthy, I wake up naturally 8-8:30 anyway, and I want to get up then and get the day started. But if for some reason I don't sleep well, or don't feel well, have allergies, etc. I can often sleep very soundly until 9:30-10 and don't feel bad about it. That is what retirement is all about IMO.

Very recently I have found that drinking 30-40 oz. of water between dinner and bedtime helps me sleep better. I never was a conscious "hydrator" until recently. Seems to have made a positive difference.

Very recently I have found that drinking 30-40 oz. of water between dinner and bedtime helps me sleep better. I never was a conscious "hydrator" until recently. Seems to have made a positive difference.
If I drank that much water before bedtime I would be getting up throughout the night. Wait until you get a bit older. :D

Cheers!

+1

I've been doing that for years and I believe it does help with sleep.

If I drank that much water before bedtime I would be getting up throughout the night. Wait until you get a bit older. :D

Cheers!

I had been getting up to pee most nights anyway, and drinking this much water hasn't seemed to make it more frequent. At first I was skeptical, but over the last couple weeks I have slept markedly better after drinking water between 6p and 10 or 11p or so. One night I just didn't drink water for no particular reason, and sure enough, restless sleep....

Now after 2 months, Im seeing a better pattern... there is hope

I would bet your previous employment had variable shifts, including night, which is horrible for your health. Now your body is adjusting to a regular day/night shift. It will continue to get better, I think. If not, no worries--you can always take a nap if you are tired! Beauty of retirement :)

Cheers!

+100. I do my hydration during the day. I'd rather sleep at night than pee. ;)

not RE, so work still impacts to some extent, but based on how I sleep when I have been between jobs or on vacation, work actually is probably a net positive push for me to get sleep. :p

Back
Top Bottom