small RV camping?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I love camping and have been doing tents for years.
We just returned from tent camping in NY, near the 'Gunks.
Unfortunately, tons of rain and local flooding alerts had us cut it short.
Despite that, we had a good time.

Anyway, we have been thinking of a small camper and now am convinced.
: )
This would be a next year purchase since, we also need a new vehicle to tow it.

We want something on the small side, that we can tow with a large SUV.
The Little Guy Max looks great and we will check it out. We are also looking into a TAB 400 and maybe ALiner style.

We live in NH and plan to first use it exploring the East Coast. After that, maybe cross country. It will be for the two of us, no animals.

We would love to hear from other folks who camp with smaller RVs. Any teardrop users? Advice/comments on the model we are looking into?

Thx

Thanks for posting this question. We've been considering a Casita, but might look into other models partly because Casitas don't come up for sale in our area very often.

We have friends with a Little Guy who love it. They were tent campers until they got it and find it a good combination of more comfort (a/c and a real bed) but still on the rustic side.

DW and I love camping and have been doing tents for years. We just returned from tent camping in NY, near the 'Gunks.
Unfortunately, tons of rain and local flooding alerts had us cut it short.
Despite that, we had a good time.
x

Well the DW and my 1st camping trip together was in a tent in the Catskills....in 1985.. And she still lives with me in 224 SQFT of 5th wheel... And we have a Hybrid camper for traveling. And still use a tent at times. We have gone through several Popups over the years.
If you plan on multiple days, cross country, or quick overnight stops... my suggestions...
Self contained bathroom, inside kitchen area and enough room to move by each other... and If it has a slide, it doesn't block your access to the needed stuff on a quick stop. R-Pods seem to get good reviews. We love our Shammrock 21DK... easily towed with Dakota to begin with

The Little Guy and TAB's are somewhat oversized Tear Drops, and they'd be very good travel rigs. And they'd be good towed behind a mid size SUV. But unfortunately all of these trailers are relatively expensive unless used.

The Casita is a fiberglass travel trailer, and they're very good to buy used--when available. In that class, the Oliver is the highest quality trailer there is--made close to ius. If someone could find a Casita for a fair price, jump on it.

We have a Grand Design 36' fifth wheel with 4 slides and we're spoiled. We leave it in storage at a member owned campground and they move it on site for us. Big fifth wheels are something you'd haul to Florida and stay 3 months in at one campground.

Many RVers will buy a $3,000-$4,000 used pop up camper with an a/c unit on top and use it to travel cross country. Then after a year or two they'll sell it for what they paid for it. I consider that a very good bargain.

I like both the Little Guy Max and Tab400.

I agree they are too expensive.

Let's say you spend $30k on the camper and $30k on a vehicle to tow it.

I'd rather spend that on experiences. Tent and or hotel might be a better use of funds, but if money is no object, then I'd pick the Tab400.

We have good friends who have a vintage airstream they've been lovingly restoring. It's bigger than the bambi - but small enough to tow it with a toyota 4runner.

After lifetime of tent camping, the combination of sleeping on the ground (and getting up again) was getting old - and needing cpap machines they needed power plugs. Getting old isn't for sissies.

Our grand canyon trip a few weeks ago had every range of accomodation. We were tent camping. My cousin had his pop up tent trailer, and the friends had their airstream.

Last edited:
We have been hikers and tent campers forever as well.
We bought an Aliner 2 years ago. Didn't get to use it at all in 2019. Did 3 days this May and in fact just this morning I booked 11 nights in Acadia National Park for mid September. My favorite month to camp in. No bugs, kids all gone perfect weather, some foliage, restaurants still open!:)
We got a great deal on an Aliner Classic off road model. It literally sets up in about 40 seconds. It was only 5 years old when we bought it and had been in storage for 3 full years. Like new and only paid $8000. They are about $20k or more new now.

Two of us and a 65 lb dog was no problem. Has almost everything. Heater, A/C, microwave, hot and cold water, outdoor hot and cold shower, 3 way fridge, 2 burner propane stove, queen bed and a dinette. It does not have a bathroom but we usually always camp where there is at least full bathrooms and /or showers available. AT only 1700 lbs and folds down I get 17-18mpg pulling it with the Tacoma. Only losing about 3 mpg towing.
A few trips from Acadia Sept 2019.

Attachments

• 20190920_112608 copy.jpg
    20190920_112608 copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • 20190919_151128 copy.jpg
    20190919_151128 copy.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190920_112546 copy.jpg
    20190920_112546 copy.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 65
How about a self-propelled rig (Class B or C)?

This is the path I'm thinking about. Seems a lot simpler (and cheaper) than having a tow vehicle and a trailer. Big enough to have a bed, kitchen and bathroom facilities, but small enough that it's easy to maneuver.

But I do agree that it's probably cheaper in the long run to just stay in a hotel. Campground rates never fail to amaze me.

How about a self-propelled rig (Class B or C)?...

We just put a deposit on a Class B. It's a Pleasureway Ontour 2.0. It's built on a 19ft Ford Transit chassis, which fits in a regular parking spot. It's got a kitchen, bath w/ shower, 77" bed, TV, instant hot water, propane, generator, solar panels, lithium batteries, etc.

But the price will almost certainly scare off lots of people. DW kept saying, "We could could take a lot of trips to Europe with that money." To which I replied, "Europe is closed." Plus, I'm really not sure WHEN we're going to be comfortable traveling internationally in planes, coaches, taxis, cruise ships. It may be a few years. At which point we can either sell the van or start renting it out. The Pleasureway brand is on the expensive side, but resale values are among the best of all Class B's.

We almost got a truck camper, but ended up with a small Bigfoot 17.5FB. While the finish isn't as modern as the Oliver, Bigfoot is on par for quality. Out west, dry camping in the National Forests is very affordable, around $20 per night. We like the trailer vs a class B, or truck camper. It makes the exploratory drives from a base camp really easy, and we can leave the pets in the camper when it's not too hot.

As with most things, it comes down to what you want to do with it. Do you need room to stand up inside? Then I highly recommend a small fiberglass camper. Do you want it super custom? Then I recommend the teardrop from https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recreational-vehicles/clc-teardrop-trailer.html (you'll have to wait, or build it yourself). Are you restricted with parking at home? Then maybe you need a class B. Do you want to camp year round? Then Bigfoot.

I've seen quite a few folks convert enclosed utility trailers into campers and/or toy haulers. They claim that the build quality is much higher than RV's that they've had previously.

I've seen quite a few folks convert enclosed utility trailers into campers and/or toy haulers. They claim that the build quality is much higher than RV's that they've had previously.

The latest thing I've seen is used UHAUL or PENSKE trucks getting converted.

But I see most every type of drivable RV (not trailers) at the beach and bay when I go walk the dog. It's just in the last 3 months or so I've seen the former rental trucks (with bad paint jobs covering the branding). I saw one that had the back open - they'd turned the loft portion into a loft bed and had a kitchen/livingroom setup in the main truck area.

We just put a deposit on a Class B. It's a Pleasureway Ontour 2.0. It's built on a 19ft Ford Transit chassis, which fits in a regular parking spot. It's got a kitchen, bath w/ shower, 77" bed, TV, instant hot water, propane, generator, solar panels, lithium batteries, etc.

That is one sweet machine!! Fortunately, your link didn't include the price so I can dream. Maybe some day when I'm too old for cruising those will be hitting the used market.

We went to a dealer today and looked at a Little Guy Max. We were very impressed!
Unfortunately, $38K new. They had just one in stock and a year wait for new.

They also had some Little Guy Max-Minis. They were very nice as well, perhaps a touch small. Fine for now but, worry we would outgrow it soon.

I would love to look at a TAB-400 and some ALiners up close.

That is one sweet machine!! Fortunately, your link didn't include the price so I can dream. Maybe some day when I'm too old for cruising those will be hitting the used market.

$129,000 msrp

About the same as a Mercedes Sprinter Van. Would love to own one as a van or class b is the only type we can park in our association but it’s a h*ll no at that price. A new truck at 70k is also a no. DH 15 yo Titan was less than 30 k, yes I know it’s been 15 years but, but , but not gonna happen.

I've had a 17 foot Casita for three years and a 13 foot fiberglass camper before that. For me, as a former tent camper and backpacker, the Casita has everything I need. It has a furnace, AC, 4 cubic foot refrigerator with a freezer, hot water heater, awning, toilet / shower and in the Liberty version, a king sized bed. I pull it with a Highlander and it fits into a campsite designed for tents, so I can camp virtually anywhere.

Prices in the last year on new and used Casitas have zoomed, but historically, Casitas don't depreciate like stick built campers. You can nearly always sell one for what you paid for it. Right now the wait for a new Casita is over a year.

Attachments

• IMG_6885.jpg
    IMG_6885.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I've had a 17 foot Casita for three years and a 13 foot fiberglass camper before that. For me, as a former tent camper and backpacker, the Casita has everything I need. It has a furnace, AC, 4 cubic foot refrigerator with a freezer, hot water heater, awning, toilet / shower and in the Liberty version, a king sized bed. I pull it with a Highlander and it fits into a campsite designed for tents, so I can camp virtually anywhere.

Prices in the last year on new and used Casitas have zoomed, but historically, Casitas don't depreciate like stick built campers. You can nearly always sell one for what you paid for it. Right now the wait for a new Casita is over a year.

So, are you taking offers?

Seriously, I have seen these and they about the best little camper on the market. BUT, the price, even used 10 years, is crazy.

$129,000 msrp

About the same as a Mercedes Sprinter Van. Would love to own one as a van or class b is the only type we can park in our association but it’s a h*ll no at that price. A new truck at 70k is also a no. DH 15 yo Titan was less than 30 k, yes I know it’s been 15 years but, but , but not gonna happen.

DW and I both turned 60 recently. Not getting any younger. We want to hit the road while we still enjoy biking, hiking, kayaking, etc. Plus, it looks increasingly likely that the kids are going to make out like bandits when we're gone. We need to "up" our spending game. So this is our BTD moment. We spent zero on travel in 2020 and not much planned for 2021. That pays for a good chunk of the van. Plus I keep reminding myself this is not really an "expense"... it's a depreciating asset with a rather impressive resale value, especially with the current RV mania.

So, are you taking offers?

Seriously, I have seen these and they about the best little camper on the market. BUT, the price, even used 10 years, is crazy.
I paid $11,000 for a 2005 model three years ago. I could sell it easily for $15,000 right now. How crazy is that?

For people who do not want to shell out big bucks for new RVs, RVTrader is a good Web site to look for "gently used" ones. However, these have also gone up in price.

Class B RVs are the best to take to Alaska. I never saw so many class Bs, except there. They are perfect for this long road trip. I made the trip with a class C towing a car, and initially thought about leaving the car home. It turned out OK, because my class C was still too bulky to drive around for sightseeing. I did make good use of the towed car. A class B would be OK.

Last edited:
We went to a dealer today and looked at a Little Guy Max. We were very impressed!
Unfortunately, $38K new. They had just one in stock and a year wait for new.

They also had some Little Guy Max-Minis. They were very nice as well, perhaps a touch small. Fine for now but, worry we would outgrow it soon.

I would love to look at a TAB-400 and some ALiners up close.
Don't know where you are located but there is an Aliner dealer in Concord NH. Outdoor Sports Center 79 Manchester st(Rte 3) Concord.

DW and I both turned 60 recently. Not getting any younger. We want to hit the road while we still enjoy biking, hiking, kayaking, etc. Plus, it looks increasingly likely that the kids are going to make out like bandits when we're gone. We need to "up" our spending game. So this is our BTD moment. We spent zero on travel in 2020 and not much planned for 2021. That pays for a good chunk of the van. Plus I keep reminding myself this is not really an "expense"... it's a depreciating asset with a rather impressive resale value, especially with the current RV mania.

Enjoy! We have only been retired 8 months guess we haven’t reached the BTD stage yet lol. We are talking about electric bikes BTD on a smaller scale.

I wouldn’t presume to tell anyone how to spend their money, hope no offense was taken:greetings10:

We've had a 31' travel trailer since 1995, and now a 36' fifth wheel trailer that stays in a member owned campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia.

Within 90 minutes from home, we have 3 fabulous state park campgrounds, 2 city campgrounds and untold private campgrounds. We also have some TVA and Corp. of Engineers campgrounds. Because you're a RVer doesn't mean you have to travel to enjoy camping.

Our campground moves our RV out of storage for us, and we don't even have to own a tow vehicle. We can spend 2 weeks a month for $56--including WIFI and cable television and full hookups.

But the thing we like most about RVing and camping is the people we run into. They're so often down to earth and the kind of people we like to be around.

Back
Top Bottom