Smoke Detector Change Out

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I bought seven new First Alert detectors to replace the existing which are almost 10 years old. Thought I could just use the existing wiring and plug to attach the new ones, but no. First Alert in their infinite wisdom decided to flip the plug around so the existing plug would not work. I am too old to mess with doing seven of these as my closeup vision and working overhead is not my strong suit, so will have an electrician come and install these along with a whole house surge suppressor. LOL, 10 years ago no way I would pay someone to do this.

I bought seven new First Alert detectors to replace the existing which are almost 10 years old. Thought I could just use the existing wiring and plug to attach the new ones, but no. First Alert in their infinite wisdom decided to flip the plug around so the existing plug would not work. I am too old to mess with doing seven of these as my closeup vision and working overhead is not my strong suit, so will have an electrician come and install these along with a whole house surge suppressor. LOL, 10 years ago no way I would pay someone to do this.

I think they make a small plug conversion connector for the new style plugs. I've got a foggy memory here, though.:blush:

I think they make a small plug conversion connector for the new style plugs. I've got a foggy memory here, though.:blush:

That would be nice. You'd think they would include those in the box.

Yes, when I replaced mine last year, I saw the converter plugs that gave me more options. In the end I found new First Alert detectors that matched the wiring of the ones from 20 years ago.

Yes, when I replaced mine last year, I saw the converter plugs that gave me more options. In the end I found new First Alert detectors that matched the wiring of the ones from 20 years ago.

I want to do away with my a.c. powered detectors and replace them with 10 year battery only detectors but I doubt the bases would match. I would change the bases myself but some of mine are on 14' ceilings and at this age I don't want to do it myself..

I made sure they matched if I recall. Before I bought.

I want to do away with my a.c. powered detectors and replace them with 10 year battery only detectors but I doubt the bases would match. I would change the bases myself but some of mine are on 14' ceilings and at this age I don't want to do it myself..
Wondering if that is consistent with local building codes?

Back
Top Bottom