Snowbird financials

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Is anyone a 'snowbird', living in two states?
How do you handle cars and insurance in both states?

My mom does. Each vehicle is registered in the state where it is used and has separate insurance policies. In the snow state we put it in the garage over the winter, disconnect the negative battery terminal and take the insurance off it since it isn't being driven and reverse the process in the spring.

You let your insurance company know when you will be in FL and when you return north. They adjust your rate accordingly. You might get a surprise with lower premiums in FL...or maybe not.

Also, if your northern state has state income tax, remember you can file as a partial year resident.

....Also, if your northern state has state income tax, remember you can file as a partial year resident.

In many situations you don't need to file up north at all. For example, if you are a FL resident with a second home up north, you would typically only need to file a non-resident tax return for the northern state if you have earnings from working or income producing property located in the northern state. The devil is in the details and YMMV.

Been living 6 and 6 for 22 years, and never had a problem. Car registered and insured "up north", as is legal residence.
Would be best to register car in state of residence, 'cuz it saves any confusion. Either way, requirements for car may vary by state... ie.smog requirements or tinted windows, but that's only necessary in the state of registration.
As with taxes, and other legal stuff like wills etc, must decide on the state of residence.

Register Your Out of State Car

I just registered and insured my car in my state of residence. I don't tell my insurance company when I drive it on vacation in another state, so I didn't bother telling them when was in another state for a couple of months.

I just registered and insured my car in my state of residence. I don't tell my insurance company when I drive it on vacation in another state, so I didn't bother telling them when was in another state for a couple of months.

I think a couple months would be no problem - you're temporarily visiting - but I would be concerned about doing that long term (5 months or more a year consistently). If the insurer found out they might deny the claim. See Lying about where you park your car constitutes insurance fraud

Back
Top Bottom