Snowbirding and Mail

FYI: The post office would only forward mail for 6 months, and I plan on snowbirding for 7 months.

They offered a permanent address change for only $1.50, and I figured WTH.

They must send out a bunch of notifications, because I'm getting emails and mail from various places confirming my new address.

I plan on just forwarding the mail fo 6 months next time.

I do have all my bills set up for paperless delivery, and they are all getting automatically paid.

JP

After retiring and selling our home we travelled for seven months. Then another three months in a temp. furnished apt.

Prior to going we moved everything possible to on line. We moved a very few things to our son's address. Quarterly investments statement/tax slips, car insurance/reg details were about all.

In those seven months there was not one surface mail item that we needed or wanted.

FYI: The post office would only forward mail for 6 months, and I plan on snowbirding for 7 months.
They must send out a bunch of notifications, because I'm getting emails and mail from various places confirming my new address.
I do have all my bills set up for paperless delivery, and they are all getting automatically paid.
JP
The permanent forward indeed has the disadvantage that many senders are given your new address, including many official places like the IRS and some banks, and your property tax friends, which might then conclude you aren't homesteaded anymore. Some less "official" senders may also be told that you just moved permanently, and they will not mail you anymore. All that can lead to confusion later that takes effort to revert. However, one can daisy chain temp forwards. The best way is to cancel the active one a few days before it expires, and after that start a new one. We have done this several times.

Last edited:

JP
if you fwd for the 6mo, then change to hold for 30days (at orig address), that could work. just make sure you pick up or have delivered by the end of the 30 days

one thing I've noticed is that renewal CCs are not fwd-able.

We submit a temporary address change on-line to USPS for the 4 - 5 months we are in Florida. Last year and this year USPS forwarded renewed credit cards to us without any issues. Perhaps it depends on the credit card company.

Medicare mail forwarding

For those who forward their mail, does correspondence from Medicare get forwarded? What about Social Security mail?

Yes. Medicare, anyway, I haven't started SS yet. Way too much of it. I've signed up for electronic delivery of everything I can, Medicare-wise, and still get physical mail all the time. PITA, IMO.

we went paperleas with SS, medicare, the Blue Cross/Blue Shield supplement and the BCBS part d plan. problem solved. but yes, the PO will forward.

Back
Top Bottom