So I moved heavily into cash before the craziness...

[…]
Other than that, I'm holding, holding and, while this makes a disappointing year, I don't see it as anything catastrophic.

As 2011, 2015 and this year were awful, I just see this all as part of the cycle.

Dividends came in as the best of all time for us and that's what we live on.

The ever rising Dow tide can't be held back forever; the impediments have to give eventually.

That's how I see it, too. Although the future may (or may not!) be worse, the market downturn does not seem catastrophic right now. Luckily we all had a nice long bull market to help us prepare for this downturn that we all knew would be coming eventually.

I love the way you phrase it.... "The ever rising Dow tide can't be held back forever". That's so true and it is why I choose to invest.

I'm curious how much this getting into cash costs in capital gains taxes & lost step up value.

I'm curious how much this getting into cash costs in capital gains taxes & lost step up value.

I'm not sure what you mean here. As far as capital gains, not an issue in IRAs or other tax deferred accounts,

could you explain what "lost step up value" is?

We’re all grateful you pointed out it’s blog and not bog. Cuz none of us knew. Including him.

Really.. I chose not to comment about the typo because bir42 was angry about my comment about using a FA. I am the first to admit I am a poor typist.. My comment on the FA had no ill intent. Ive helped people who have hurt by FAs making poor choices. It can be heartbreaking.

I'm not sure "bog" is wrong.

I thought we were supposed to be draining the bog...oh, I see somebody already jumped on this. :blush:

FAs scare me. If you read this bog I’d argue you probably dont need one. Have you every seen a calculation of what that 1% or .5% cst you over 30 years?

I'm not sure what you mean here. As far as capital gains, not an issue in IRAs or other tax deferred accounts,

could you explain what "lost step up value" is?
I think they are referring to the ability to step up the basis of inherited taxable account assets and effectively totally a our tax on unrealized appreciation.

‘Nutin’ If it’s in a company 401k as there are no tax consequences and no trading costs.

We’re all grateful you pointed out it’s blog and not bog. Cuz none of us knew. Including him.

I have to admit I hate when someone points out an obvious typo as if the person doesn't know how to spell a word, and thinks they're clever doing it.

This is exactly what always comes to mind when I read threads like this where people jump quickly into cash when storm clouds gather over the markets.

Since only about 17% of my total investments are in tax-deferred accounts, changing my AA to a more conservative mix of equity vs. fixed income isn't something I can do quickly and painlessly. I suppose that's good in some ways, since it prevents me from making any big "panic" moves when the markets tank. But it's also frustrating over the longer term as it's slowing down my eventual move to a 60/40 AA. On the plus side, I do typically keep about 2-3 years living expenses in a high-yield savings account, so I can ride out the downturns without selling low.

I have to admit I hate when someone points out an obvious typo as if the person doesn't know how to spell a word, and thinks they're clever doing it.

This gets up my nose too. The first thing that comes to mind is a "Smart A#@" with too much time on their hands or nothing better to do (Not that the person is or has, that is just what comes to mind). The fact is OFTEN when one types the autocorrect makes assumptions. I for one think faster than I type, and hit "Return" as a reflex. I then go back and change it if I see an error. As long as one gets the Just of the thought, it is simply insignificant.

Sometimes "bog" is spot on... particular if the topic is when to take SS, whether or not to pay off the mortgage, etc.
But have we had a topic on when to take SS in order to pay off the mortgage?

Je4a.gif

We have a nice day here in Penn, the sun is shining, almost no wind, not too cold. My last project is all but done. My long (God willing) vacation has begun. Im sitting in my comfortable chair, coffee by my side. I am thinking about doing my walk in a few minutes. I am on kind of a high. I can tell you having someone point out a typo .. couldn’t be more trivial.

Like a friend says “Its all good”

Last edited:
I like it when somebody points out my typo, or anybody's typo, and it's funny. And I hope that when I point one out, some humor is involved.

My late BIL mostly used his phone for FB and made lots of typos. When I made a joke about his typing "desert cart" instead of "dessert cart," he came right back with "Oh, and I forgot. The desert cart was drawn by camels!" I just roared.

Just pointing out to show that "Nyah, nyah, you made a boo-boo" is tedious.

This gets up my nose too. The first thing that comes to mind is a "Smart A#@" with too much time on their hands or nothing better to do (Not that the person is or has, that is just what comes to mind). The fact is OFTEN when one types the autocorrect makes assumptions. I for one think faster than I type, and hit "Return" as a reflex. I then go back and change it if I see an error. As long as one gets the Just of the thought, it is simply insignificant.

Just pointing out to show that "Nyah, nyah, you made a boo-boo" is tedious.

You are right.
It is disrespectful as well. If you do not want to contribute to the matter at hand why hijack the conversation?

Lucky timing. Maybe dollar cost averaging on the way back in
. We are in murky waters and who knows what ice bergs could be hidden

Well, when we do get around to draining the ER bog, we'll surely get rid of all those impertinent posters who dare to do that.

We have pensions. They are like bonds, right? So we are staying the course with equities. Especially since we haven't a clue what else to do!

You are right.
It is disrespectful as well. If you do not want to contribute to the matter at hand why hijack the conversation?

We have a nice day here in Penn, the sun is shining, almost no wind, not too cold. My last project is all but done. My long (God willing) vacation has begun. Im sitting in my comfortable chair, coffee by my side. I am thinking about doing my walk in a few minutes. I am on kind of a high. I can tell you having someone point out a typo .. couldn’t be more trivial.

Like a friend says “Its all good”

You are right.

I think you mean "It's all good."

Now, enjoy that long vacation.

In keeping with the season ...Did you know Charles Dickens was known to commit grammatical errors?

Last edited:
Your knot aloud two brake the rules until you have mastered them.

BLzzzBLzzzzzBLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. (Grinch Raspberry) :D Sorry could not find a Green Thumbs Down Pic.

Attachments

• 7404052-3d-thumbs-down.jpg
    7404052-3d-thumbs-down.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom