Social Security Application

golfnut

Full time employment: Posting here.
I completed my ss app online in mid July. My fra is in October of this year. Anyhoo, I have yet to hear back from ss regarding my application. I called them earlier this week and while the ss rep was courteous and professional, She did/could not confirm when I"ll hear back from them confirming my app has been approved.

Just curious to hear from other boomers who filed for ss lately on how long it took to hear back from them.

My app has been under review since July 16th.

Thanks

Hmmm... did you check online to see if there were questions on it? My hubby filed online in July too and I think his employer had to respond to something in order for him to get it. He got his first check in August.

The only difference I see is that he was ready to get it right away and wasn't waiting a few months for it to start. He turns 70 in November.

Hmmm... did you check online to see if there were questions on it? My hubby filed online in July too and I think his employer had to respond to something in order for him to get it. He got his first check in August.

The only difference I see is that he was ready to get it right away and wasn't waiting a few months for it to start. He turns 70 in November.

There are no on line questions. Thanks for the response.

I completed my ss app online in mid July. My fra is in October of this year. Anyhoo, I have yet to hear back from ss regarding my application. I called them earlier this week and while the ss rep was courteous and professional, She did/could not confirm when I"ll hear back from them confirming my app has been approved.

Just curious to hear from other boomers who filed for ss lately on how long it took to hear back from them.

Thanks

Congrats on the SS FRA milestone! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I applied about 1 year ago for an October start date. They emailed me stating they had received the application with a link to check the status online.

It took a few weeks but the app was approved in time to get my October payment (which was paid out in November as I recall).

Congrats on the SS FRA milestone! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I applied about 1 year ago for an October start date. They emailed me stating they had received the application with a link to check the status online.

It took a few weeks but the app was approved in time to get my October payment (which was paid out in November as I recall).

Thanks, but its a mixed bag, getting the ss check will be nice but getting older kinda sucks. Oh well!

I never heard back. I just started getting the check on time. Never received notification although the week before the check was deposited my on line status changed.

I got my notification of my SS benefits about 2-3 weeks before they began.

My application which I fillout out four months earlier was being "processed" for about 3 1/2 months. I checked it online every few weeks. Then it flew threw the system in time for me to get my benefits. IOW, your situation sounds normal at this time.

Thanks

IIRC for DW it took about 3 months. She applied 3 months before her FRA and received her first benefit payment the month following her FRA. Be patient.

My wife applied for SS in April, through the US Embassy in London. Had a couple of interviews and everything appeared to be going smoothly, bank details given etc. When she logs onto her SS account there is a status that says her application was received July 1st, is in progress and should be completed in 2 to 4 weeks. She called them towards the end of August to ask if there was a problem and if they needed more info, and was told that it would be flagged and she would receive a letter within 7 days. No word yet.

My wife applied for SS in April, through the US Embassy in London. Had a couple of interviews and everything appeared to be going smoothly, bank details given etc. When she logs onto her SS account there is a status that says her application was received July 1st, is in progress and should be completed in 2 to 4 weeks. She called them towards the end of August to ask if there was a problem and if they needed more info, and was told that it would be flagged and she would receive a letter within 7 days. No word yet.

When is her birthday/requested start date? When my wife went through the london embassy there was absolute silence until the month of her birthday, when the payments started.

The other question is whether your wife is applying purely on her us record or using the totalizer agreement. Mine needed some credits from her work in london and it took a while for the us to get the info from the uk.

DW filed online in May for July retirement date. Check arrived in August on time.

DW filed online in June for a July retirement. We refused to verify her earnings record because her 2018 Medicare earnings showed zero despite working full-time (Social Security earnings for 2018 were correct). Thought it would gum up the works, but someone at SS realized Medicare earnings are not relevant to SS benefits and forced through the application without us verifying the earnings record.

Received first benefit payment in August, on time.

When is her birthday/requested start date? When my wife went through the london embassy there was absolute silence until the month of her birthday, when the payments started.

The other question is whether your wife is applying purely on her us record or using the totalizer agreement. Mine needed some credits from her work in london and it took a while for the us to get the info from the uk.

Her requested start date is April 1st and when payments do finally start she was told they would be backdated to then. The totalization agreement was not needed as she has plenty of credits to apply on her own work record and currently she has no other pension income so WEP calculations are not in play either. She has had 2 telephone interviews and this is the final approval and set up of the bank payments she is waiting on.

When in doubt, the Social Security has offices to visit--if they're not shut down for Covid.

I suggest going to one in a small town, however. You can go into any of their offices to find out status, etc.

When my wife went to apply for SS disability in Atlanta, there were 100 people in a 95 degree office run by an armed guard and the line didn't move for an hour we sat there. That's when we figured out all surrounding counties had small offices--with a/c.

When in doubt, the Social Security has offices to visit--if they're not shut down for Covid.

I suggest going to one in a small town, however. You can go into any of their offices to find out status, etc.

When my wife went to apply for SS disability in Atlanta, there were 100 people in a 95 degree office run by an armed guard and the line didn't move for an hour we sat there. That's when we figured out all surrounding counties had small offices--with a/c.

I thought all SS offices were shut for Covid. At least all of them in my state are shut.

Yes, AFAIK all SS offices are still closed. But you can get excellent service over the phone. At least we have been very pleased with our phone service. A little patience can be required, but making an appointment for them to call you has always worked out very well.

My DW applied online for her benefit to start immediately; it took 4 months to get approved.

I phoned my Social Security office to get spousal benefits. He setup an appointment for a couple of weeks later, he called me then and I was approved 1 day later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom