Social Security First Year Recalculated ?

Irishgirlyc58

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I started SSA benefits in January 2022- first payment received February 2022. My 2021 income was not factored into the payment at the time.
Last week SS posted the recalculated payment for next month and also an amount for the previous months to make me whole with a payment date of 10-24 which I received direct deposit last night.
But they also posted the new monthly amount as a payment for 10-24. I did not receive this amount last night and I actually didn’t anticipate it but it’s just got my curiosity up.
Does anyone know why they would show this as a payment due when it doesn’t seem like an actual payment is going to be made? From my calculations I don’t think they owe me this payment either.

As a side note- I didn’t receive SS payments for Aug, Sept, or Oct due to some work I did in Feb, March, and April and being overpaid for those months.
The amount I did get adds up to the 6 months I received SS for the new amount difference. So, new monthly amount is $91 higher and I got $546 for the past 6 months.

I started SSA benefits in January 2022- first payment received February 2022. My 2021 income was not factored into the payment at the time.
Last week SS posted the recalculated payment for next month and also an amount for the previous months to make me whole with a payment date of 10-24 which I received direct deposit last night.
But they also posted the new monthly amount as a payment for 10-24. I did not receive this amount last night and I actually didn’t anticipate it but it’s just got my curiosity up.
Does anyone know why they would show this as a payment due when it doesn’t seem like an actual payment is going to be made? From my calculations I don’t think they owe me this payment either.

As a side note- I didn’t receive SS payments for Aug, Sept, or Oct due to some work I did in Feb, March, and April and being overpaid for those months.
The amount I did get adds up to the 6 months I received SS for the new amount difference. So, new monthly amount is $91 higher and I got $546 for the past 6 months.

I hope someone here can help you, but my guess is you may need to call SS. When I spoke with a person at SS when I signed up, I was impressed, but the calculations were almost bizarre and difficult to understand. Good luck.

Oh, thanks for the info, I also started Social Security in January of this year and I got a small extra amount last week, but when I looked into the 'my account' page of the SS website, it looks like they also did a one time payment of the full (I guess the recalculated amt) amount last week, but I did not receive that in my bank account.

I'm so glad you posted, I had no idea they recalculated the amount and I didn't know what was going on with it.

I hope someone here can help you, but my guess is you may need to call SS. When I spoke with a person at SS when I signed up, I was impressed, but the calculations were almost bizarre and difficult to understand. Good luck.

Thank you! It’s more of a curiosity than a must know now. I thought maybe someone here had noticed it before and knew the answer.

If I’m deciphering what they are doing correctly I think the larger payment is actually a place holder for next month’s payment. It’s incredibly misleading though since next month’s payment is shown on a different page with the correct increased amount.
I can’t imagine the number of calls SS customer service reps must get about this.

Hopefully I’ll get a notice sometime in the near future with an explanation.
I’m not sure why they don’t post notices on our my social security page. [emoji2368]

Oh, thanks for the info, I also started Social Security in January of this year and I got a small extra amount last week, but when I looked into the 'my account' page of the SS website, it looks like they also did a one time payment of the full (I guess the recalculated amt) amount last week, but I did not receive that in my bank account.

I'm so glad you posted, I had no idea they recalculated the amount and I didn't know what was going on with it.

I’m glad my post was helpful for you!

I also received a recalculation and a small separate check for the difference YTD this month. But I don't have all the additional working/not getting paid, etc. I fully retired last year and filed for my SS to start January (first payment Feb) so they adjusted it upwards a small for my 2021 income.

I also received a recalculation and a small separate check for the difference YTD this month. But I don't have all the additional working/not getting paid, etc. I fully retired last year and filed for my SS to start January (first payment Feb) so they adjusted it upwards a small for my 2021 income.

Excellent!

Back
Top Bottom