Social Security Signup

Bogie

Recycles dryer sheets
Hey all! My dear wife signed up for social security early last month and still hasn't been approved. It says 2-4 weeks for most people but we are now beyond the 4 weeks. Has anyone recently applied to start social security and how long did it take?

DW is in the same boat:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 127
My birthday was in January, meaning my first month of SS eligibility was February and the earliest I could get the first check was March.

I applied on-line for social security on 12/6/20. On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship, which I did that day. They returned it on 2/16/21. I received my first deposit on 3/11/21, which was the first time I knew that my application had been approved. The actual approval letter that I received in the mail is dated 3/14/21, and it never showed as approved on the computer before the money arrived. In fact, it never even showed that anyone was reviewing it, only that it had been received (i.e. - step 1 in the bar graph.)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
My birthday was in January, meaning my first month of SS eligibility was February and the earliest I could get the first check was March.

I applied on-line for social security on 12/6/20. On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship, which I did that day. They returned it on 2/16/21. I received my first deposit on 3/11/21, which was the first time I knew that my application had been approved. The actual approval letter that I received in the mail is dated 3/14/21, and it never showed as approved on the computer before the money arrived. In fact, it never even showed that anyone was reviewing it, only that it had been received (i.e. - step 1 in the bar graph.)

Hope that helps.

It's funny/odd that they needed your passport... I would have thought they would have some linkage with the State Department to confirm that you had a passport. Right hand unaware what the left hand is doing I guess.

It's funny/odd that they needed your passport... I would have thought they would have some linkage with the State Department to confirm that you had a passport. Right hand unaware what the left hand is doing I guess.

I would have thought so, too. Since I was not born here, over the course of my life I have needed to prove my citizenship to the Department of Defense, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (DOE), the State Department, and, perhaps most egregiously, the Social Security Administration itself (when I got a social security card at the age of 16). That's not even counting the state governments and private employers who also have required proof of citizenship. It is an annoyance.

I would have thought so, too. Since I was not born here, over the course of my life I have needed to prove my citizenship to the Department of Defense, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (DOE), the State Department, and, perhaps most egregiously, the Social Security Administration itself (when I got a social security card at the age of 16). That's not even counting the state governments and private employers who also have required proof of citizenship. It is an annoyance.

Same here except for SS I had to go in person and take every document in my possession to prove citizenship..passport itself wasn't sufficient. Come on now, how did I get the passport if I'm not a citizen 😫..it does make you wonder about all the big brother is watching you hype.

Bogie, I would give it a while longer. But if it drags on too long i suggest you contact your Federal congressman. I had a SS issue I could not get resolved, I contacted my Congressman and he was able to resolve the problem in one day.

I applied 3 months before I wanted to start. My status never changed to approved until the week before my first check hit my account right on time. Some people get immediate notification, others like me just wait and wait. I never did get the "official" letter in the mail. Personally, I wouldn't worry. Lots of people see this kind of delay but get their checks on time.

I applied 3 months before I wanted to start. My status never changed to approved until the week before my first check hit my account right on time. Some people get immediate notification, others like me just wait and wait. I never did get the "official" letter in the mail. Personally, I wouldn't worry. Lots of people see this kind of delay but get their checks on time.
I applied 1/15/2021. The myssa.gov site says it's been received and is being processed. It's 4/14/21 so obviously not 2-4 weeksScreenshot_20210414-193604_Chrome.jpeg

At least they acknowledge that they received it. I think that the amount keeps going up each month (or quarter) until they start sending it

At least they acknowledge that they received it. I think that the amount keeps going up each month (or quarter) until they start sending it

I think you get back paid from the date you applied to start.

Thanks to all for the input. At least I know it's not just me. Not sure what it is that needs to be verified. Seems like it should be almost automatic in the era of computer. It certainly didn't take this long to get my private pension.

I finally called the 1-800# and was given the # for Richmond. Left a msg there and a really nice rep called back. She gave me my analyst's #, told me my status inc amt I'll get, how to select withholding, and also stated that they're still WFH!!!! Hence the delay. Hope she's right. Cha-ching [emoji765][emoji383]

So for those who are waiting more than 4 weeks: try calling to get the analyst's office's phone number.

I finally called the 1-800# and was given the # for Richmond. Left a msg there and a really nice rep called back. She gave me my analyst's #, told me my status inc amt I'll get, how to select withholding, and also stated that they're still WFH!!!! Hence the delay. Hope she's right. Cha-ching [emoji765][emoji383]

So for those who are waiting more than 4 weeks: try calling to get the analyst's office's phone number.

Will they pay from your application date in Jan?

Will they pay from your application date in Jan?
In my case, I'm not positive. I'm under GPO (I had the wrong offset) so we decided that my birthday is better in the long run. But each case is different.

My new start date is the 19th ..... let's see what happens.

In my case, I'm not positive. I'm under GPO (I had the wrong offset) so we decided that my birthday is better in the long run. But each case is different.

My new start date is the 19th ..... let's see what happens.

You made the change not them? I wonder if the GPO was part of the delay?

Yes. GPO can be confusing and it turns out that the pension board needs to respond as well.

I also selected 22% withholding

I'm wondering - when you applied online, were you able to specify your desired withholding rate at that time? Was it a simple online selection, as opposed to having to fill out a Voluntary W4 withholding form?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom