Social Security Survivor Benefits Question

oceanmd

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello everybody,

I read all replies provided here on Social Security topics, very helpful, thank you. I am looking for confirmation that I understand the rules correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I retired and claimed SS at 68. DW is 13 years younger and is going to retire at 60.

When she is ready to claim SS, she will be choosing between her own SS and my spousal benefit, which is 50% of my SS at FRA.

If DW claims SS at 62, she will receive reduced benefits: 70% of her own SS OR 32.5% of the spousal benefits at FRA.

Regarding Survivor Benefits: DW will receive 100% of my SS benefit amount at the time I started collecting it (not at FRA) as long as she is at FRA or older (much, much older hopefully) regardless of the fact that she started collecting SS at 62 or any time before her FRA and regardless whether it was her own reduced SS or spousal reduced SS.

Thank you in advance.

She will not be "choosing" whether to take her own or spousal. Those born after 01/01/1954 no longer get that choice. When they file they will be "deemed" to be filing for the highest benefit they are eligible for at that time.

Regarding Survivor benefits, yes, as long as she is FRA when claiming Survivor she will receive 100% of what you were receiving at death assuming it is higher than her own.

She will not be "choosing" whether to take her own or spousal. Those born after 01/01/1954 no longer get that choice. When they file they will be "deemed" to be filing for the highest benefit they are eligible for at that time.

Regarding Survivor benefits, yes, as long as she is FRA when claiming Survivor she will receive 100% of what you were receiving at death assuming it is higher than her own.

Not to hijack the thread, but what if the higher earner has not started taking benefits? My wife and I are the same age, and plan for me to wait til 70 and my wife to start earlier (maybe 62, maybe 65). If I haven't claimed, then she just get's her benefit, no spousal benefit, right?

If you pass before claiming she will never get spousal (because she would no longer be a spouse, she would be a widow). She would, however, be able to claim survivor benefits. The survivor benefit would be based on whatever you would have been eligible for on your date of death. If she waits until she is full retirement age (FRA) to claim survivor, she would get 100% of what you were eligible for. If she claims prior to her FRA is would be less.

Not to hijack the thread, but what if the higher earner has not started taking benefits? My wife and I are the same age, and plan for me to wait til 70 and my wife to start earlier (maybe 62, maybe 65). If I haven't claimed, then she just gets her benefit, no spousal benefit, right?
Yes, while you are alive and you haven't yet claimed SS, she just gets her benefit which will be reduced if she files before FRA. She automatically gets the highest benefit for which she is eligible when she files, but she does not become eligible for a spousal benefit until you file for your benefits. When you have both filed, you should ask the SSA about spousal benefits.

Miss Molly, I would like to thank you for addressing all of our questions with easy to understand answers. You have helped me greatly in the past.

The bolded part above is important to DW and me.....it is a big difference maker.

Back
Top Bottom