Sodding Estimates

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone have any experience with getting their property sodded ? Looking at putting down Bermuda Sod. The back yard was laid with Fescue by the builder years ago ( it sucks !! ).

What were / are the costs for:

1.Ground Prep / Grading

2.Sod per pallet or square yard

3.Installation/Laying of Sod

What are the caveats as I approach this project. We don't have an irrigation system. What's the best time of year to do this ? We live in the south.

Never purchased sod, but have put in plenty of new lawn. Lawn grass is a hardy, invasive weed, yet a rather fussy one when it comes to soil and climate.

Does your county have an agricultural Extension Service (google it)? They are the most familiar with lawn requirements for whatever micro-clime you live in.

Amethyst

In my limited experience, seed takes better than sod in the long run.

Common sense suggest you try to avoid the hottest months.

Gardenweb might be a better pricing source.

OP,

Any time I hear someone use "install" or "installation" in connect with living plants, I tend to cringe. Grass isn't a carpet. Trees and shrubs aren't furniture or appliances. Any living plant will sicken and die if not properly cared for, so please take time to learn about caring for your lawn. Even the "sucky" fescue, which the builder "installed," might be capable of improvement, and your extension service is in the best position to help you learn how.

Amethyst

Last edited:
As it would happen, I'm preparing to lay sod in my front yard...7200 sq ft worth. I have no idea about your intended grass variety...I'm going to put in Kentucky Bluegrass...the price quotes I've had range around $0.34 per sq foot for the sod, and around $0.20 per sq foot to lay it. I'm still debating whether to lay it myself, hire a couple of high school kids to help me for a couple days, or just have it done at 20cents per foot.

As for the prep, I have a small tractor (suitable for my 2 acres) with loader, backhoe, and a PTO tiller, so I've been doing the prep myself. I had 30 yards of planters mix delivered a couple weeks ago, and moved it around with the loader, and tilled it in. Then I built a float with 2x4s, and hand dragged it to smooth it really nice. Then I dug the trenches for the sprinkler system with my backhoe. I'm still in the process of digging out the corners and areas I couldn't reach. Later this week I'll be laying the pipe.

R

Don't understand REWahoo's comment regarding my thread question ?

I put sod in my back yard that I bought from a sod farm. I can't remember the cost. I sodded the back due to slope, but had a landscaper seed the front. I put my own sprinkling system in, and the seeded front is thicker and still grows faster than the sodded back. Sod or seed would be best done in the fall.

Anyone else think on first glance this thread was a rant about unexpectedly high estimates? :)
As a Brit, it was the first thought that crossed my mind. The second, was that it was an intentional play on words in the best tradition of headline journalism :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom