Sodium Percarbonate for Household Cleaning

ImThinkin2019

Recycles dryer sheets
In the recent thread on grout cleaning, Sodium Percarbonate was mentioned.

We bought some from Amazon and gave it a try yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C86GRZY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

https://www.chemistrystore.com/sodium_percarbonate2.pdf

We used it to clean our tiled shower walls, grout, and floor pans. Bathtub, sinks, dish drain mat, washing machine door gasket. Nasty toilet.

For most cleaning we used a spray, but for harder to clean areas like grout and shower pans, we used a paste with water.

Our conclusion after this first trial - WOW!. It made the work much easier than we expected. Great at removing mildew we did not even know we had.

I took a shower this morning and noticed no smell. Apparently it did smell before and I could not tell.

DW and I both recommend giving this product a try.

Has anyone else tried it?

Basically the same as Oxyclean - which we always use in the wash. Maybe 6 months ago, I did try in the dishwasher for a couple loads (based on recommendations) to clean gunk/grime/stains that had built up over the years, and it was excellent for that. We'll have to start looking for other uses for it.

If Oxyclean exactly the same or a diluted version? Did a quick check on Amazon and didn't see any details listed on the ingredients. If so it's certainly the better deal, $10 for a 5 lb. container vs. $20 for a 2 lb. bag of the generic.

I’ve been using OxiClean in my shower for awhile. It works very well, but I don’t think it works as well as a bleach based product on mildew. Maybe Sodium Percarbonate is stronger. Anyway, the Oxi does work great in any soap scum and it’s easier to work with than bleach based products. So, I do the main cleaning with the Oxi and then come back and get any mildew with a bleach product. We squeegee and dry our shower after ever use so heavy duty cleaning is only necessary a few times a year.

A friend of mine used it to clean the outside of his house and roof, he raved about how well it worked. His house is very shaded and the roof grows mold, he said he sprayed it on and let the rain wash it off. He said it was great. He's 76yrs old, so built himself a sprayer that would reach the peak, he stayed on the ground and covered the whole roof.

Oxiclean is apparently about 50% sodium percarbonate:

Was at the grocery store this morning and took a quick look, the container I looked at stated 17% sodium percarbonate but they do make a lot of different Oxiclean products so it may vary.

I use sodium percarbonate to clean my stainless steel pour over coffee filter. It's the only product that works. Bought the same product, but a 5lb bag, also from Amazon. Will need to look into using it for other cleaning jobs but I'm at a loss as to strength.

It is an adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Na2CO3·1.5H2O2

Think of it as an alternative source of hydrogen peroxide, an excellent oxidizer. When used as a paste it is very concentrated and adds an abrasive action.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom