Solving problems at work rather than RE

I also hated the idea of having to get to w*rk in the morning, fighting commuter traffic and having to jolt my brain awake with numerous cups of coffee -- not that I don't like coffee, but those morning hours before 11 were always a struggle for me. So I found a way to start work in the afternoon. It just suited my internal clock better -- and it took me out of the usual peak rush hours. And, it let me solve problems creatively without having to run my solutions past half a dozen other people.

And on that subject, to those doubting OP's need to be at work by 9AM. I think some people think tech jobs are completely wide open. They are not and should not be. I need to interact with people. It drives me crazy when someone thinks they can work night shift because they just feel like it. And guess what? 9AM Pacific time is one of those hours that works for Asia, Europe and N. America. Yeah, it stinks to get up "early" on the west coast, but think of the poor sucker in India ready to go to bed. The point is, 9AM Pacific is my megacorp's most popular meeting time. And that's my lunch time, damnit!
I worked for a company based in Silicon Valley, though in an east coast site. I never had set hours, just expected to show (or call in) for meetings and be generally available. If someone wasn't getting work done or not around when people needed them, I'd guess there manager would set stricter rules. I never said it was wide open; that's a far cry from a rigid starting time.

Maybe the OP does need to be in at 9am, but that's not typical of SV from what I saw. I get the feeling if the OP has to come in at 9am for a couple meetings a way this would make him very unhappy. Or perhaps the OP was one of those people who wasn't around enough and was told by their manager they had to be in at 9am.

Actually he is doing a wonderful job IMO. Also, REWahoo was a moderator and admin on this board for many, many years as well and is very knowledgeable about our moderation practices. He wrote a great thread about the history of the Early Retirement forum that you might enjoy reading: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/the-history-of-early-retirement-org-53657.html

[mod edit] After 10 years as a volunteer Admin here, I resigned a couple of months ago. We have a great volunteer mod/admin team here and they work very hard and do an admirable job of keeping this forum pleasant and readable.

Anyway, I'm glad I resigned because I don't have to read this sort of thread any more. W2R over and out... :greetings10:

One of the reasons I don't post more often on this site is the number of grouches.
OP's story/question may not be of interest to everyone. His philosophy on work/life may not be to everyone's liking, but he did not say anything offensive or disrespectful, was not selling anything nor soliciting anything. I doubt anyone could find any standard of the forum that he violated and he was pounced on by a bunch of amateur psychologists who thought his reasoning was not up to their snuff.

There was no need for anyone who didn't want to answer his question or participate in his thread to say anything negative. Over and out indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked for a company based in Silicon Valley, though in an east coast site. I never had set hours, just expected to show (or call in) for meetings and be generally available. If someone wasn't getting work done or not around when people needed them, I'd guess there manager would set stricter rules. I never said it was wide open; that's a far cry from a rigid starting time.

Maybe the OP does need to be in at 9am, but that's not typical of SV from what I saw. I get the feeling if the OP has to come in at 9am for a couple meetings a way this would make him very unhappy. Or perhaps the OP was one of those people who wasn't around enough and was told by their manager they had to be in at 9am.
Yeah, agree not all SV are alike.

Yahoo went crazy with trying to get people present, in person, at set hours.

At my megacorp, a lot of people take those 9AM meetings on the road. It is hell for all of us (too noisy). This is recognized so if the worker can swing it they take the 9AM from home and go in later, or never at all. It depends on the departmental expectations too. For instance, if they run agile-scrum* and have their stand up at 10AM, a common time.

I guess you can say: YMMV.

* Agile-scrum is a leading cause of OP's two complaints about time, and aggressive colleagues.

Thanks Eastwestgal.
What's wrong with someone making 280k wanting to drive uber on weekends?

I do appreciate the OP's posts and think his questions are genuine. How many other threads have we seen of highly compensated individuals who are struggling with a better work/life balance? What seems to affront many forum members here is the potential impact on the OP's family if he followed his initial impulse and quit his job to live solely on his savings. But I see he is open to considering a less drastic option and finding a different way to make some income, even if much less. Or looking for ways to make his current occupation less onerous. So I hope he finds a middle ground, one that satisfies his need for a better life with the needs of his young family.

I recall a now-famous blogger in Norway on the Tesla forum, named Bjorn, who has a side hustle on weekends picking up and delivering packages in his very cool Tesla. He posts videos of his travels and appears to enjoy driving his electric car. I think he also has a highly compensated job, strikes me as a software engineer, but I'm not sure. In his climate-controlled car, his packages included artwork, kittens, and even chickens once.

my friends think that I'll need to have a certain amount of "quant" activity in RE or I'll get bored

I think I'll take my chances and I will NOT be driving uber

I took off this week from work and am trying the early retirement life. I always hated work and even school. I love the learning and growing part of school and problem solving and being productive parts of work. But I dislike two things mainly both about school and work;

- The fact that my freedom / time is in someones hands. E.g., That I have to be there at 9 am in an office setting
- Dealing with aggressive colleagues and bosses

I was always frugal and also loved accumulating money and hate losing it by stopping working. This one week so far I am realizing that instead of sitting and browsing all day, I am liking more to go out and drive uber. It feels like free money and my greed is telling me "go out and get some more". I also like the fact that I can hang up or do it on my wish. Nobody is there to tell me that I have to be there by a certain time.

This made me realize I actually don't dislike work by itself. It is my time being in someone else's control and dealing with people aspects that make me want to RE.

I guess these problems are common to other people too. How to solve these problems and make working better instead of thinking about RE?

I understand not liking a schedule. Even though I had great latitude in my days and hours and pretty much controlled it to my wishes it was still a schedule I had to follow. Unlike some folks I really liked what

I did for a career. As a college professor I had students counting on me following a schedule. What I am curious about is your statement about being frugal at an annual income that is 5X what my last year salary was. I was frugal too yet was able to save enough for a couple of long term retirements with the same lifestyle (maybe even a little better).

Unless you are new to the work force I would think your nestegg should be substantial given the income and frugality. May it's time to RE and enjoy only the schedules you create.

Cheers!

Working in video games in Silicon Valley, the usual start time is 10-11am. The usual end time is 7-:confused:. But it can definitely vary. When I was at a small studio and we only had one N64 dev system available for all three designers, I would come to work when the lead engineer woke up (complete night owl)., she'd pick me up and drive me to the office and we'd start around 3pm. We'd break for dinner, sometimes a late night movie or two (I miss the Mercado having regular 1am showings), and then work until 3-4am.

Current company's core hours are 10am-7pm. We are welcome to come in any earlier or stay any later we like. :p Having said that I usually show between 10:15-10:30 and leave between 7-7:30pm...

Whenever I read a "poor me" post like this one, two things come to mind:

#2 - Mandatory military service at age 18 might be something the US needs to give serious consideration to implementing. ...would really benefit from spending a couple of years in the USMC.

Without getting into the discussion revolving around the OP, let me just say I can't tell you how often I have the same thought about people. I recall an episode of Frasier years ago when he and brother Niles were dithering about something and their father said , "You know, I always though a couple of years in the service would have done you both a world of good."

Related: when I see a really screwed up situation in progress and/or a group talking something to death without actually doing anything, I often think "there's nothing wrong here that a good Gunnery Sargeant couldn't straighten out pretty quickly."

The last time I was in a "Tech Industry " was 1979 , so i know nothing about Silicone Valley Jobs, except the many stories about mid - late career folks being kicked to the curb and replaced with someone younger and cheaper.

The O.P might as well take the leap , take a break for a few years, living very cheap somewhere else, although it might be a non reversible event for lack of a better term.

The last time I was in a "Tech Industry " was 1979 , so i know nothing about Silicone Valley Jobs, except the many stories about mid - late career folks being kicked to the curb and replaced with someone younger and cheaper.

I think Silicone Valley is very heavily about being young, but really who wants to live in San Fernando. ;)

Can we please make space for people that need to sort out this work/life stuff. I’ve been FI since 2009 due to a combo of my own savings and my dad’s (inheritance). Tried RE a couple of times. Ready to do it again, but want to do this

I think there are plenty of folks on these boards who are interested in the FI portion of things. It's in the community name and everything. :) I've certainly been open about being focused on the FI stuff ever since the Motley Fool forum days.

How to solve these problems and make working better instead of thinking about RE?
Work for yourself.

Then your time and your outcome are in your own hands. You can start when you want and finish when you want. You don't need to put up with aggressive colleagues or bosses - you don't even need to have any colleagues if you choose.

Of course there are no free lunches in this world. You also accept all the risks associated with being self-employed. I honestly don't know any successful self-employed folks who say their "hatred to working life hasn't changed a bit. It only has gotten worse in recent times" and who describe themselves to others as "lazy". But maybe that hatred and laziness would subside once you found your niche.

I know of many folks who are independent contractors. They pick and choose their gigs with the attributes they prefer (like coming in late or working fewer hours). One works only part of each year, then takes the rest of the year off for sailing, skiing, and travel. He's one of the smartest folks I know. But he would never describe himself as lazy - nor would I.

After retiring, I worked as a consultant for a while. I worked two days per week; 16 hours. I never worked overtime, not any extra days. It was a lot of fun. Very different from the full time work I retired from.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I took off this week from work and am trying the early retirement life. I always hated work and even school. I love the learning and growing part of school and problem solving and being productive parts of work. But I dislike two things mainly both about school and work;

- The fact that my freedom / time is in someones hands. E.g., That I have to be there at 9 am in an office setting

I was always frugal and also loved accumulating money and hate losing it by stopping working. This one week so far I am realizing that instead of sitting and browsing all day, I am liking more to go out and drive uber. It feels like free money and my greed is telling me "go out and get some more". I also like the fact that I can hang up or do it on my wish. Nobody is there to tell me that I have to be there by a certain time.

This made me realize I actually don't dislike work by itself. It is my time being in someone else's control and dealing with people aspects that make me want to RE.

I guess these problems are common to other people too. How to solve these problems and make working better instead of thinking about RE?

... ok ... an out there option for you ,

is there a computer club ( for adults ) anywhere near you , that way you can interact with people passionate about IT/software and other sections of IT

maybe you can find some acceptable people and start up a joint venture project , actually enjoy what you do because you have cooperative folks around you ( and possibly make that money , as well )

in Australia there a heaps of interesting characters in computers/IT and many not so happy about there job ... maybe the US is the same

I heard Silicone Valley is a fun and uplifting place to spend some time, but most people feel it's artificial and just doesn't feel the same. :)
Ya'll are on a slippery slope.

... ok ... an out there option for you ,

is there a computer club ( for adults ) anywhere near you , that way you can interact with people passionate about IT/software and other sections of IT

maybe you can find some acceptable people and start up a joint venture project , actually enjoy what you do because you have cooperative folks around you ( and possibly make that money , as well )

in Australia there a heaps of interesting characters in computers/IT and many not so happy about there job ... maybe the US is the same

IT is worldwide, so it is everywhere.

Another idea for OP, which I will be doing, is to contribute to some open source projects that you are passionate about.

I think Silicone Valley is very heavily about being young, but really who wants to live in San Fernando. ;)

Comes down to choosing a place where rent/home ownership is not the largest part of your living expense. Places far cheaper and cooler than San Fernando. Staying out of major metropolitan areas.

Like : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_County,_Hawaii . Yes Hawaii.
Big Island, not much work, but can be cheap to live in some areas.

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Lake_(California)

Have relatives in both places, and both also living fairly well on disability income. Both states have good social services safety nets for those who end up completely broke and out of work.

Heck, 1/3 of the state of CA is on Medical. Just adequate medical care , but it's free.

Thousands of areas nationwide. These are just 2

IT is worldwide, so it is everywhere.

Another idea for OP, which I will be doing, is to contribute to some open source projects that you are passionate about.

the idea ( for me ) is have the OP happily employed ( or in business ) so he can become financially independent and then retire for all the good reasons ,

not simply to avoid excess stress .

if open source inflames his love of IT that is good as well

With regard to the people issues (having to deal with "aggressive" colleagues), OP might check out Robert Sutton's work on dealing with a-holes in the workplace.

One of the reasons I don't post more often on this site is the number of grouches....

Too many grouches? What? Keep reading and see how they are milking a move to Silicone Valley suggestion! :LOL:

I think a lot of people that you claim are trolls are not giving you the answers you want to hear or are talking about balance.

Hate is a pretty strong word to use about something that most people have to do every day. If you don't like being accountable to others common sense says, work the high paying job without thinking everyday about how much you "hate" it, stash your money and then live life on your terms. You have a young family, a choice you made and you are accountable to them too,

It is not "free" money driving Uber, it takes your time, your gas and wear on your car. How do you know that 40 hours a week driving Uber during rush hour and bad weather won't turn into something you hate. If you have no other income uber won't be a novel experiment anymore.

I also think that you call people aggressive that have different opinions and want to challenge you about your thinking, bear in mind you have asked what people think but call them trolls and aggressive when they don't agree with your opinions.

We're all grownups here and should be respond to critical comments or probing questions without finger pointing or hurt feelings.

Thanks Eastwestgal.

I see a poor practice in this forum. Not everyone but a group of people who are insecure about being trolled. It is so unfortunate. As eastwestgal has pointed out, I am frustrated and I love to talk about this stuff. I can keep opening a thread everyday as I am continuously thinking about this stuff and want to share with like minded people. I came back from driving uber and wanted to open this thread sharing my thoughts and frustration about working in general. How is it a troll? Am I harrassing someone? Am I causing any discomfort to anyone? If you are so insecure about being trolled, please ignore my threads.

This is a bad trend in this forum. Especially this is happening to new folks. I start a topic and if you have thoughts about the topic then contribute to the topic. This is not about discussing about who I am or digging up my past posts trying to imagine a story and calling me troll. What's wrong with someone making 280k wanting to drive uber on weekends? You can live in your own world where things have to happen a certain way. I'm not going to respond to questions like that. Learn to be supportive and if you cannot be, please stay out.

There have been a lot of supportive and useful people here as well but a few bad apples. I am not talking about braumesiter alone here. He did make some useful posts earlier. This is more of a general reply to all those kind of troll insecure people

I think the multi shotguns threads are confusing people. It's also an issue that from thread to thread a lot of your basic details change. "Digging up" your past post,. If I go look up an OP it's because I'm not sure what they are saying or remember them from another thread and am trying to get a picture of them, not because I want to troll them .

For example you have posted 3 wildly differently asset classes and portfolios ..are you in and out of the market so quickly that ever quarter you have a different portfolio and assets class? Most here wouldn't really endorse that much churning.

What is you want to happen in the next year, 5 years 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom