Some Medicare new enrollment questions

do any of these medigap policies or supplement policies cover both drugs and doctors? I am on medicare and would like to check on a policy so that I don't have to deal with both insurances separately.

I think only a Medicare Advantage plan covers both.

I've had Plan F HD, with it's $2,000 annual deductible, for five years and only been asked once in all that time to pay up front at a doctors office. I said "I think I've already met my deductible" and that ended the conversation.

Exactly how my Plan F HD works. I don't pay any of the provider bills for my deductible until after I receive the EOB from both the insurance company and Medicare. Most of the time I don't even get the provider bills until after I get the EOBs.

Not really a hassle, just another bill to pay.

Well, it might depend on the doctor's office. All the doctors and medical facilities I've dealt with have you pay something up front, even if it is just a token amount that is resolved later with a bill after the insurance company delivers their EOB.

Perhaps they treat deductibles with Medicare differently then they treat deductibles from individual health insurance - seems likely.

It could be that the Medigap portion is covering just the 20% of the charge, and they know they'll be getting the 80% directly from Medicare and thus they aren't so strict about being paid up front by the patient.

I'd just be so nervous about having to deal with medical billing as I got older. It's one of those things that could be difficult to change after the fact.

I'm having a tough time getting quotes online for the plan G and plan F-HD that I am now considering (based on this thread). We're meeting with an insurance agent (free, no charge to us) to get pricing next week.

If G gets you everything a full F plan gets - except $166/year deductible - and it's more than $14/month cheaper... then it wins out over a plan F. Same with F-HD - if premiums are $184/month cheaper than full plan F - then it will win-out.

We have some money in DH's HSA from the past 2 years... so we have set-aside funds for a few years of paying out the full deductible.

As for billing - we've been on full HDHP w/HSAs for 2 years now... We always wait till we get the EOB to pay more than a "copay" amount. The difference between full price and EOB price (negotiated rate) is dramatic... no way I'd want to pay more than a token copay. I am ok with this.

I'm looking at these plans in NY State, and the range of premiums makes absolutely no sense. For example, according to this site, comparing F+ plans, the range in my area (the Syracuse table), the F+ policy ranges from $58-$125/ month. Am I missing something?

Medicare Supplement Insurance Rate: Plan F+

Medigap plans are brokered. Using online data is usually a waste of time.

Last edited:
I think NY State may be an exception. IIRC the State Insurance Regulatory Agency publishes the policies and prices offered by county, so you can narrow down your list based on the data on their website.

In my research looking for a policy for DW I've found a couple of insurers give online quotes and policy info. Most notably, Blue Cross. Most others, though, just give a contact number. Lots of brokers, and I believe their is no additional cost or charge for using one.

So, is there anyone here from NY State who can tell me what they are paying for their Medigap insurance, and what type of plan they have? Evidently this information is not available online.

I'm having a tough time getting quotes online for the plan G and plan F-HD that I am now considering (based on this thread). We're meeting with an insurance agent (free, no charge to us) to get pricing next week.

If G gets you everything a full F plan gets - except $166/year deductible - and it's more than $14/month cheaper... then it wins out over a plan F. Same with F-HD - if premiums are $184/month cheaper than full plan F - then it will win-out.

We have some money in DH's HSA from the past 2 years... so we have set-aside funds for a few years of paying out the full deductible.

As for billing - we've been on full HDHP w/HSAs for 2 years now... We always wait till we get the EOB to pay more than a "copay" amount. The difference between full price and EOB price (negotiated rate) is dramatic... no way I'd want to pay more than a token copay. I am ok with this.
My apologies if I am pointing out the obvious, but when comparing the HD option remember that medigap pays the 20% Medicare doesn't. To meet the current $2180 deductible you have to run up Medicare bills of roughly $11,000 per year. Less than that and the HD option is probably best - unless there is a significant difference in premiums.

Last edited:

Do you know that Plan F goes away in 2020 as no deductible plans will no longer be allowed? The possible impact is that there will be no new buyers of Plan F starting in 2020, so it could impact the cost of the plan as the people remaining in the plan age.

I assume Plan F HD will remain. I never had that spelled out.

I'm trying to find out how medigap policies are priced in Michigan (community rated, issue age rated, or attained age rated). Is this info available online by state?

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Stay in hospital

To meet the current $2180 deductible you have to run up Medicare bills of roughly $11,000 per year. Less than that and the HD option is probably best.[/QUOTE]

A night in the hospital (part A) way less than 11K.
1288.00 bucks go to the deducible. Stay out of the hospital on the High F and you will win.
Its just a numbers game,
Look at the price of the high f vs f or g and do the math. if you can save 100 bucks a month, what the risk? Difference between 1200 (savings) and 2280.00 the deductible. As you get older the savings increases in CA, check your state.
I think insurance companies and agents hate the High F, they make way less money.

I'm trying to find out how medigap policies are priced in Michigan (community rated, issue age rated, or attained age rated). Is this info available online by state?

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

This will show you have different Medigap letter policies are rated in your area by insurance company:
https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/medigap-home.asp

For a given letter, click on "View all companies that offer this plan in your area" and you'll see the rating along side the company name.

Looks like in my zip code all insurance plans except AARP/United Healthcare are attained-age rated. AARP is community rated.

Pricing is a different matter.

Last edited:

Good call, I would only go with community rated or attained age, AARP, Blue's, Aetna the big ones. My experience smaller companies issue age rated start better rates but close that pool and start another one. When you are sick you can not move. CA has a birthday rule and you can move to any company the same plan with out underwriting. I would hate to be stuck.

Last edited:

Good call, I would only go with community rated, AARP, Blue's, Aetna the big ones. My experience smaller companies issue age rated start better rates but close that pool and start another one. When you are sick you can not move. CA has a birthday rule and you can move to any company the same plan with out underwriting. I would hate to be stuck.

Yes, see my post above. The Medicare.gov site will tell you which companies provide policies for each Medigap letter and tell you how it's rated.

I don't think you get a price though.

My apologies if I am pointing out the obvious, but when comparing the HD option remember that medigap pays the 20% Medicare doesn't. To meet the current $2180 deductible you have to run up Medicare bills of roughly $11,000 per year. Less than that and the HD option is probably best - unless there is a significant difference in premiums.

Thanks. It wasn't obvious - at least not to me. :facepalm: :blush: I'm used to the "pre"medicare HDHP - where you are responsible for dollar #1 up to the deductible. (And the deductible is much higher). We rolled the dice with this and it was a loser last year... but is working out in our favor this year. (Total costs = premiums+deductible+copays+OOP).

Perhaps they treat deductibles with Medicare differently then they treat deductibles from individual health insurance - seems likely.

It could be that the Medigap portion is covering just the 20% of the charge, and they know they'll be getting the 80% directly from Medicare and thus they aren't so strict about being paid up front by the patient.

I think we have a bingo.

Requests for up-front payment did almost disappear when we went on Medicare but I can't say for sure that was the reason as we both changed doctors about the same time.

Do you know that Plan F goes away in 2020 as no deductible plans will no longer be allowed? The possible impact is that there will be no new buyers of Plan F starting in 2020, so it could impact the cost of the plan as the people remaining in the plan age.

There has been a lot of speculation about the possibility of higher than normal premium increases for Plan F members when only grandfathered insureds remain in the plan after 2020. Much of that speculation has come from those who would benefit by having you use their services to seek another Medigap plan, a reason to question the accuracy of the information. Only time will tell, but if I was starting on Medicare today I would stay away from the non high-deductible version of Plan F. As others have pointed out, Plan G offers the same coverage with only a small (under $200) annual deductible.

I assume Plan F HD will remain. I never had that spelled out.

As a Plan F HD subscriber I've been eagerly awaiting news confirming it won't suffer the same fate as the regular version. So far, the decision has not been announced.

The purpose of discontinuing new enrollments in Plan F (and Plan C) in 2020 was to eliminate plans paying the full deductible for the insured.
The reasoning behind making Medicare beneficiaries pay the deductible themselves is that it will cause them to think twice before going to a doctor and perhaps costing the Medicare system unnecessary money.
Congress Schedules End to Insurance Coverage of Medicare Part B Deductible | ElderLawAnswers

Since the HD version of Plan F already does away with the deductible, it seems logical that it should continue to be an option for new Medicare enrollments. But then we are talking about the government, where logic is a five letter four letter word...

Last edited:
The prices of Medicare Supplements are crazy. I started Medicare October 1 (YAH!!!) and did a lot of research primarily comparing Supplement G and High Deductible F policies. Many of the High Deductible F policies that were available to me actually cost MORE than the G policies. Crazy. I ended up with Mutual Of Omaha G for $90 per month.

Jo Ann

DH turns 65 in 2020, so I'm interested in the Medigap policies available then.

A year ago when I projected our Medicare insurance costs, I did find some quotes online. It might have been through ehealthinsurance?

I thought I'd update with some pricing information. This morning I ran into my broker on the beach (where I met her in the first place). She had a package with pricing from Healthnet for me to review prior to our meeting next week.

Prices for San Diego county for a non-smoker age 65-66
Plan F: $140
Plan F-HighDed: $59
Plan G: $129

Plan G is eliminated because the price difference between G & F doesn't make it worth it.

We're leaning towards the F High Ded. plan... this discussion has been very interesting.

Additional - healthnet offers an optional add-on of dental/vision/hearing for $29/month. The premiums are a tad higher than we're paying for just cleanings and xrays for dental - and DH needs new glasses and will likely need hearing aids in the future. We're still debating this - but leaning towards opting in on this as well.

I thought I'd update with some pricing information. This morning I ran into my broker on the beach (where I met her in the first place). She had a package with pricing from Healthnet for me to review prior to our meeting next week.

Prices for San Diego county for a non-smoker age 65-66
Plan F: $140
Plan F-HighDed: $59
Plan G: $129

Plan G is eliminated because the price difference between G & F doesn't make it worth it.

We're leaning towards the F High Ded. plan... this discussion has been very interesting.

Additional - healthnet offers an optional add-on of dental/vision/hearing for $29/month. The premiums are a tad higher than we're paying for just cleanings and xrays for dental - and DH needs new glasses and will likely need hearing aids in the future. We're still debating this - but leaning towards opting in on this as well.

Sounds about like the quotes I got 8 years ago when I first signed up. Count on premiums rising each year and really going up after 70 years old. Still the best deal in the U.S.

I noticed there is a lot of variation based on what county in CA you're in. (I have the pricelist for all of CA - but you have to pick your county.

A quick glance makes me glad we're not in Los Angeles or Orange County - they were the highest premiums. I was surprised to see San Diego County was on the same price chart as many of the Bay area counties... since I know they have higher health care premiums for the pre-medicare crowd.

I saw the increases with age - with Healthnet it's every 2 years it goes up to the next level. It seems to cap at age 85.

Yesterday I got 2 quotes for MediGap for DW. The G policy (BCBS) is $252, and the Hi-D F (Humana) is $132. The BCBS quote was online, but all others are by phone. It's a pretty big difference.

I could not believe how long it took to get the Humana quote, or how confused they are - after 35 minutes the phone disconnected and they still could not tell me how the plan is priced. The Medicare website says issue-age, but I wanted them to confirm (they didn't).

Back
Top Bottom