Somebody Else is Living My Retirement Dream

Going Sailing

Dryer sheet aficionado
Some friends just tied up their boat alongside my boat down in Mexico. They reported that I have a new liveaboard on my boat and sent me a picture. So this guy moved aboard and doesn't pay any rent.

In the meantime, I am up here wearing winter clothing (pants and shoes!), and have moved into my townhome that my tenants vacated and I find myself working five days a week to cover the cost of living on dirt and maintaining a boat abroad.

The upside is that my company leased me a Tesla to entice me into the office a few days a week.

I can't wait to get a vaccine, rent out my townhouse, give the Tesla back and pile in our bags into our little Toyota and drive south. This has been a very strange year.

Oh yes, I am looking forward to evicting my new live aboard tenant!

Attachments

• IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6198.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Some friends just tied up their boat alongside my boat down in Mexico. They reported that I have a new liveaboard on my boat and sent me a picture. So this guy moved aboard and doesn't pay any rent.

In the meantime, I am up here wearing winter clothing (pants and shoes!), and have moved into my townhome that my tenants vacated and I find myself working five days a week to cover the cost of living on dirt and maintaining a boat abroad.

The upside is that my company leased me a Tesla to entice me into the office a few days a week.

I can't wait to get a vaccine, rent out my townhouse, give the Tesla back and pile in our bags into our little Toyota and drive south. This has been a very strange year.

I feel your pain. We are stuck here in PA because father-in-law can’t be left alone and siblings “can’t” take him. Our condo in Florida has a beautiful beachfront ocean view being enjoyed by pigeons nesting on our balcony. We were called last week and asked if management could enter our eighth floor balcony to chase off the pigeons and put spikes outside of the hurricane shutters to prevent them from coming back. At least someone got to enjoy that beautiful view this winter, at least for a while.

You could rename the boat.

Iguana Retire
Reptile Dysfunction
See Lizard
Tastes Like Chicken

You could rename the boat.

Iguana Retire
Reptile Dysfunction
See Lizard
Tastes Like Chicken
Love it. There was another guy aboard near Barra de Navidad who also would have tasted like chicken. In fact the Iguana is the latest in long line of creatures who have come aboard. We have had a rat, a snake, a thousand pound sea lion, and cockroaches. Thankfully the wolves, grizzly bears, orcas, jumping thresher sharks, and humpback whales we come across haven't made any boarding attempts.

Attachments

• DSC_0353.jpg
    DSC_0353.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 63
Maybe the snake likes iguanas....

You may want to reconsider. He's probably good at vermin control and scaring off "poopy birds"

The golden handcuffs have been updated, I see.

I am really hoping this horrid weather helps to convince my DW that the time to retire and head south is NOW.

Heh, heh, it's really warm on your boat so when you evict your live-aboard, wear good sneakers and better gloves. Those guys can really move when they're warmed up. Now, if he eats cock roaches, you might invite him around for lunch from time to time.

Just wondering if you've gone back and reviewed any of Dory36's posts from all those years ago. In addition to his FIRECalc and ER community fame, he had some great live-aboard tales to share. Miss him. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom