Something used once or twice a day...

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Something you use once or twice a day and you really miss during a pandemic?

ScotTissue....

I picked up a large package of off-brand TP at BJs back in the day (last year during the initial pandemic blitz). The shelves were mostly empty, but I grabbed what remained on shelf as we were genuinely low. We are having good fun now seeing how long this cheap, under-sized tissue lasts.

To start, it's only 3.7 inches wide and looks ridiculous in the holder. It is also 2-ply quilted, making the tissue feel very thick, but anyone who has made paper knows that embossing can make the sheet weaker. And this brand is embossed in 2 directions, meaning many fibers are certainly crushed. So the quilted tissue has fewer, smaller sheets, and causes additional operational problems. And I won't get into those...

I worked in the papermill and learned quite a bit about tissue making. I worked with the machines and saw the process up real close. The tissue-making machines were massive, and the finishing machines were complicated and much smaller. And you could lose a limb or your life if not careful.

Scott's has the 1000-sheet roll, and when I was there an individual sheet was 4.5 inches wide by 4.5 inches long. Then the length went from 4.5 to 4.1 and now 3.7 inches. Fortunately the width is at 4.1, but still 10% less than the original 4.5 inches.

Scot's is only 1-ply, and requires technique for obvious reasons. But it is a superior product for us, and has done very well over the years.

I installed a bidet seat even before the TP crisis of 2020. So the tissue properties and technique are less important. DW makes the determination and her standards are much higher than mine.

One time I brought home a different TP brand than the usual. My wife was quick to remind me, "We are a Cottonelle family!" I've never stepped out of line again.... :)

I installed a bidet seat even before the TP crisis of 2020. So the tissue properties and technique are less important. DW makes the determination and her standards are much higher than mine.
I'm also a fan of the bidet toilet seat and it certainly saves a ton of money on TP use. Where else can you wash both back and front every time you go if you so desire and just blot dry with a couple of squares. Best $32.50 I ever spent and I've had it for about 4-5 years now.
Even first thing in the morning when that first trickle (or blast) of freezing cold water hits the rear end, I always feel so clean and fresh once I get over the initial shock.

Something you use once or twice a day and you really miss during a pandemic?

ScotTissue....

I picked up a large package of off-brand TP at BJs back in the day (last year during the initial pandemic blitz). The shelves were mostly empty, but I grabbed what remained on shelf as we were genuinely low. We are having good fun now seeing how long this cheap, under-sized tissue lasts.

To start, it's only 3.7 inches wide and looks ridiculous in the holder. It is also 2-ply quilted, making the tissue feel very thick, but anyone who has made paper knows that embossing can make the sheet weaker. And this brand is embossed in 2 directions, meaning many fibers are certainly crushed. So the quilted tissue has fewer, smaller sheets, and causes additional operational problems. And I won't get into those...

I worked in the papermill and learned quite a bit about tissue making. I worked with the machines and saw the process up real close. The tissue-making machines were massive, and the finishing machines were complicated and much smaller. And you could lose a limb or your life if not careful.

Scott's has the 1000-sheet roll, and when I was there an individual sheet was 4.5 inches wide by 4.5 inches long. Then the length went from 4.5 to 4.1 and now 3.7 inches. Fortunately the width is at 4.1, but still 10% less than the original 4.5 inches.

Scot's is only 1-ply, and requires technique for obvious reasons. But it is a superior product for us, and has done very well over the years.

Funny. Back last March when I couldn't find and TP I went on-line and found a big huge case of Scott's. I ordered it. It had a shipping date of 2 weeks in the future. They sent an email extending the date. Then they sent another email extending the date again. That date came and went. Amazon sent me an email and said since they didn't ship it, I won't be charged. Then 2 weeks later I get an email telling me it will be shipped. I responded that since they missed ship date I wasn't going to be charged so they should not ship. Their response to me was that if once it was received and I wanted to return it, I could pay THEM a restocking fee. Ummmm....no? So sure enough a big huge case of ScotTissue shows up. And the next day a second big huge case of ScotTissue shows up. I have never been charged for either of them. And we have enough ScotTissue to last us until 2022. And I HATE ScotTissue. :LOL::LOL:

In my many years of traveling to Africa and Eastern Europe, one of things that was on the top of my packing list was high quality TP. And a prized 'gift' when it was left behind at departure. lol.

We prefer Kirkland brand, but for the past year we have bought whatever brand we could find at the time.

For years, I was using Quilted Northern Ultra Plush. It was thick and soft and, well, I think my bottom found it to be very agreeable. Then I bought a campervan, and started looking for a TP that would break up easily, whether I were dumping it in the RV black tank, or in a cathole in the ground. I was reticent about going back to Scottissue, due to the 1-ply construction but, as target2019 referenced, you develop a technique. Now I am 100% on the Scottissue team, both at home and in the campervan. People are selling vintage rolls of it online, for some strange reason, on places like Etsy. What's with the seeming cult worship of this stuff? Two other vaguely related thoughts -

1) Are there any fellow Brits here who remember Izal Medicated TP? My Dad taught me a special technique, to prevent the glossy side from slipping on your hand or derriere. Such an odd product, though I can imagine it being received well in institutions. I attended Catholic schools and, although I don't remember that level of detail, wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it was used there. I can picture it in use in convents and monasteries too. It always seemed like a rather austere product.

2) This may be a bit TMI but, although I like the idea of a bidet, I can't quite get my head around how well it would work. I don't know how else to say this, but isn't the stuff you're trying to get rid of rather tenacious? Is a gentle jet of warm water really enough to dislodge the enemy?

There was a gread schism in the tissue mill.

ScotTissue was septic system safe, but a bit rough for some.

Cottonelle would clog your septic system very quickly because of chemical additives.

We prefer Kirkland brand, but for the past year we have bought whatever brand we could find at the time.
Also favour the Costco brand. Though sometimes the rolls are too fat to fit on dispensers.

1. I know someone who packs his preferred brand of toilet paper when he travels. Even if the trip is 3+ weeks.
2. We installed a Toto toilet with washlet in January 2020 for $2K. Worth it. Should have done it years earlier.
3. I poop way more than twice a day. When you have 14cm of cancerous colon removed, you have less "storage" space. Oh, was that TMI?

For years, I was using Quilted Northern Ultra Plush. It was thick and soft and, well, I think my bottom found it to be very agreeable. Then I bought a campervan, and started looking for a TP that would break up easily, whether I were dumping it in the RV black tank, or in a cathole in the ground. I was reticent about going back to Scottissue, due to the 1-ply construction but, as target2019 referenced, you develop a technique. Now I am 100% on the Scottissue team, both at home and in the campervan. People are selling vintage rolls of it online, for some strange reason, on places like Etsy. What's with the seeming cult worship of this stuff? Two other vaguely related thoughts -

1) Are there any fellow Brits here who remember Izal Medicated TP? My Dad taught me a special technique, to prevent the glossy side from slipping on your hand or derriere. Such an odd product, though I can imagine it being received well in institutions. I attended Catholic schools and, although I don't remember that level of detail, wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it was used there. I can picture it in use in convents and monasteries too. It always seemed like a rather austere product.

2) This may be a bit TMI but, although I like the idea of a bidet, I can't quite get my head around how well it would work. I don't know how else to say this, but isn't the stuff you're trying to get rid of rather tenacious? Is a gentle jet of warm water really enough to dislodge the enemy?
In reference to number two. I installed a bidet/diaper washer hose in April. Its cold water only and doesn't lack for pressure. Full blast AKA "lift-off" would debark most species of trees.

I remember Izal well. While we were a pretty poor family my mother did not skimp on toilet paper however my schools and my Auntie Emily did. it was glossy hard paper that scratched you, very painful.

https://retro-hen.com/2018/04/05/izal-toilet-tissue-and-the-cubicle-of-pain/

You guys must have a lot of time, and nothing else I hope, on your hands.

To the tune of chorus of the theme song from the TV show "Branded":

Stranded! Stranded on the toilet bowl!
What do you do when you're stranded, and there is no roll?

To know you're a man, you must wipe it with your hand...​

During the first hoarding, I ended up getting what was available. An uncommon brand.

The results weren't the best, but at least I had TP :angel:.

Then I got a box of Amazon 2 ply, 500 sheets per roll. Better than the uncommon brand, not a good as Scott.

I ended up getting another box of the Amazon 2 ply for the second round of hoarding. Should be good for at least a few months.

The good, Scott stash I'm saving for a real emergency :popcorn:.

Regarding a bidet, I always think of the opposite, pickup up dog poo from the lawn, then only wipe my hands with toilet paper :eek:

I'm certain a stream of water does a better job.

We don't have a bidet.

In reference to number two. I installed a bidet/diaper washer hose in April. Its cold water only and doesn't lack for pressure. Full blast AKA "lift-off" would debark most species of trees.
Many people use the term life changing for even the cheap bidet toilet seat ones so don't knock it till you try it. Check the reviews for this one if you don't get offended easily. I own this brand and laughed so hard reading the reviews before I bought it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0RHSJO?ref=vse_pfo_vwdp&th=1

That's good to know - and thanks to others who have posted similarly encouraging info about their bidets.

I remember Izal well. While we were a pretty poor family my mother did not skimp on toilet paper however my schools and my Auntie Emily did. it was glossy hard paper that scratched you, very painful.

https://retro-hen.com/2018/04/05/izal-toilet-tissue-and-the-cubicle-of-pain/

That blog post is quite hilarious, and captures the austere nature of Izal quite well! My father taught me a technique whereby, before using a sheet, I'd hold it at each edge and "wrobble" it in order to take the sheen off the glossy side. That way, your hand wouldn't slip on the shiny side, while the dull side was taking care of business.

... So sure enough a big huge case of ScotTissue shows up. And the next day a second big huge case of ScotTissue shows up. I have never been charged for either of them. And we have enough ScotTissue to last us until 2022. And I HATE ScotTissue. :LOL::LOL:

Since you have not paid for them and don't like them, why not donate them to a charity who can use them?

Back
Top Bottom