Sort of gave notice

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For almost 30 years I've worked very closely with...kind of hard to explain. I guess technically my boss...really I guess I'm his right hand man (woman).

So today I told him that I planned to retire in a few months, wasn't sure exactly when maybe April-ish.

I decided to tell him since I felt he needed enough notice so he could decide how to replace me, etc.

I was not entirely sure how he would respond. We've worked together very many years so have a close relationship. At the same time he relies on me a lot and he is one of those fortunate people who loves his work and has no desire to retire.

Thankfully it went very very well. I was surprised to find that he wasn't surprised. A few months ago, actually before deciding to soon retire, I had mentioned wanting to downsize our house and he put that together with knowing my husband's age and thought that people often downsize shortly before retirement. So the possibility had crossed his mind.

Of course, he wanted me to stay longer. I didn't set a specific time but may end up staying a month or two longer than I originally thought.

I did make the comment to him that we are downsizing the house and wanting a lower cost lifestyle and that I hoped it would all work out but we will be getting used to living on a lower budget than in the past. His comment was that I shouldn't worry about it because I could always come back and work part time or something. So it was nice to have that option presented.

Terrific! That's one big step towards retirement. Having that option of coming back and working part time sounds very good, not only if you need the money but also if you just miss the work a little after a while.

Great. It is nice to leave on your terms from a job that you like (or at least don't hate). And having them ready to welcome you back PT relieves a bit of stress. Now that you are on record, giving them an extra month won't bother you - just a wind down period. I gave 4 months notice.

Congratulations, Katsmeow! I was in a very similar position and can imagine the combination of emotions you must have felt.

Best wishes for the new, exciting phase of your life!

Coach

Sounds like you have a decent boss. This is a rarity these days. I might explore the PT option since it doesn't sound like a bad work situation for you. This would give you some time to wind down and help him train a replacement.

Sounds like you have a decent boss. This is a rarity these days. I might explore the PT option since it doesn't sound like a bad work situation for you. This would give you some time to wind down and help him train a replacement.

+1

This would alllow you to ease into ER- train your own replacement, that way when you come back PT for vacation fill-in, sick leaves, etc. things will be just the way you like them...;)

Congratulations! It sounds like you have a great boss.

Congratulations, Katsmeow!

Sounds like your transition to ER or ESR should go smoothly.

Kat, you must have a very good relationship with your employer. As someone else posted, that is rare these days.

Yes, I do have a great relationship with him. He told me that when he told his wife I was retiring, she cried (I think because she knows how much he relies on me). It really is a situation where I don't what to do the work any more and don't think I'll miss it but do like many many of the people. The job is very stressful though.

As to how I feel. Relieved. I like to be as open as possible about things so while I was trying to decide I didn't even like keeping quiet. I much more like being able to be forthright.

Terrified. I tend to be risk averse and I am taking a risk with this. And it is a risk that I could lessen by working a few more years. But I think the risk is relatively small and the benefits of doing this now are great and if it is too financially risky I think I could go back on some basis (or if for some reason things changed and that option wasn't available I could do contract work). Still as someone who tends to anxiety I keep checking numbers over and over again, running various scenarios in the spreadsheet, coming up with various negative things that could happen, etc.

Happy. This made it all very real.

Good luck Kat, it sounds like it is time, and you do have that lifeline of part time work possible since you have such a good relationship with, and high regard of, your boss. :flowers:

Congratulations. It is good to leave on a high note. I don't think you will regret retiring to spend more time with your husband and children and pursuing your own interests outside of work. It sounds like you are a busy lady.

For others considering a similar situation...

Katsmeow:

It does seem like it went well...

However in general, what you did is not a wise move. If you want to work several months, a year or three more might they just let you go in the next RIF. Might they take away "The good Work" or make you move into the basement.

Still others get skipped when they suddnly hand out the big bucks for that early retirement incentive.

All of these situations have actually happened. You might also consider just how much notice your company would give you in the event of layoffs.

In summary, It isn't in your best interest to let anyone know your retirement plans other some vague (someday) reference.

You are probably right MasterBlaster for someone who works for a megacorp. My situation is different in that I'm an attorney in private practice. We don't have early retirement incentives or a basement. They aren't going to take away my type of work, etc.

In my type of work I wouldn't feel right giving two weeks notice. Also, I did not want to get sucked into getting deeply involved in potential new matters where it would be difficult for me to leave later. By making my plans known, I know that I can leave a few months from now.

The person that I told is someone I've worked with for 30 years. I felt he would understand (which he did). Currently, he would like to talk me into continuing to work 1 day a week even after I retire. I'm thinking about it.

Regardless, I did consider the possibility that I might be wrong and maybe someone would press to have me be gone sooner. I decided that if that did occur then so be it.

To put it another way, I personally would be fine to leave sooner if someone wanted that. I am willing to stay until end of April or so in order to help with the transitioning of me leaving (although I would just as soon leave a little earlier). If that wasn't wanted, I would be totally OK with that.

It does seem like it went well...

However in general, what you did is not a wise move. If you want to work several months, a year or three more might they just let you go in the next RIF. Might they take away "The good Work" or make you move into the basement.

Still others get skipped when they suddnly hand out the big bucks for that early retirement incentive.
It is a sad commentary on the business environment that MasterBlaster's statement is true - and it is for many employers. Many firms demand loyalty and return nothing but misguided self interest. But I still don't think Kat's approach was "in general...not a wise move."

It is fairly easy to evaluate our employers by watching how they treat us and others. Thirty years at one firm that has treated you and your peers well does call for a bit of loyalty. Giving enough notice to effect a smooth transition seems fair. That could be two days or several months depending on the circumstances. If working a few extras months is important financially and abrupt termination would present a serious problem, there may be other alternatives to bolting out the door. You could work the extra few months and then give a few more months notice, for example.

If, on the other hand, the firm has treated you poorly then you owe them nothing. Although, even in that situation, some consideration may be due your co-workers if an abrupt departure would leave them in the lurch.

Katsmeow - sounds like you have a very understanding boss. I do agree that the environment (private practice) is different than at a megacorp.

In my situation, I did w*rk for megacorp. When I gave my notice, I held the decision close to my chest and didn't let others know until necessary. But my situation was somewhat like a Conan O'Brien situation (after being a loyal worker for 20+ years, I was given to option to stay at a changed situation thrust upon me or walk..I chose the latter :LOL:).

I'm happy it went very smoothly for you.

Back
Top Bottom