Souschef's switch engine project

Very much looking forward to seeing run. Will the switch move, or is that another thread?
Yes, it will move, but not too far, fortunately. After we get it running and moving, we have to get the compressor working for the air brakes.

Yes, it will move, but not too far, fortunately. After we get it running and moving, we have to get the compressor working for the air brakes.

Cool! :dance:

Success! We got the diesel running! The next step will be to get it moving. We also want to get the compressor for the air brakes working

Very Cool!

Yes, be sure the brakes work before moving the train...

Success! We got the diesel running! The next step will be to get it moving. We also want to get the compressor for the air brakes working

Fantastic! I was expecting a few more bumps in the road (track?) before it actually ran. Good planning and a lot of work on your part.

Can't wait to see a video!

-ERD50

For anyone who is interested in the journey up to this point, I have a story below

Attachments

• GE 23 TON SWITCH ENGINE STORY.pdf
    598.6 KB · Views: 40
For anyone who is interested in the journey up to this point, I have a story below

Cool story and good work! I love these projects.

Once you get it "rail worthy", I would love to see a running video.

Two years ago, I restored a 1971 VW Beetle from a non-running heap to a nice little beauty. I'm getting too old to pull/rebuild engines and rebuild suspensions anymore (but I still do it).

What a great story so far. I can’t wait to see a picture of the smile on you face when that thing is rolling on the tracks. Thanks so much for sharing.

That seems like a great and very rewarding way to spend some time in retirement. Keep up the good work!

[FONT=&quot]Today was a semi-successful day. We troubleshot the fuel shutoff wiring and discovered that the fuse was blown. We removed the panel switch, and found a third wire going to a run time meter. The meter was shorted, which blew the fuse. Disconnecting the meter solved the problem.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We tried to diagnose the fuel problem. We removed the shutoff switch and verified it was working. Working backwards, we saw there was no fuel at the fuel input to the fuel pump. We tried priming it, and it sucked fuel in. but not enough. By that time we ran out of battery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will have to go out and put a 4 hour 8 amp charge on the battery shortly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I purchased replacement fuses, plus a section of 1/2 ID tubing to prime the pump. I also bought a compression fitting to interface the tubing to the pump without spillage.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Today was a semi-successful day. ....[/FONT]

I think about this project from time to time, but I can't believe it's been over 15 months since the last update!

Good to hear you're still at it. Hope the rest of the fuel problem is simple, clogged filter/lines?

-ERD50

I think about this project from time to time, but I can't believe it's been over 15 months since the last update!

Good to hear you're still at it. Hope the rest of the fuel problem is simple, clogged filter/lines?

-ERD50
Well, the friend I have been working with has Parkinson's and is out of action. I have had to do most things alone, but had help today.
We are not sure where the blockage is, or if the fuel has not made its way through 2 filters. We plan on bypassing the filters and putting fuel directly into the fuel pump.

Last edited:
Today was interesting. I wanted to check things under the engine to see what we were dealing with. I bought a sheet of plywood that I had ripped in half so it would fit in my little Hyundai. I also bought a padded mechanic's creeper to help.
The plywood fit between the rails and on top of the ties. I laid down on the creeper and slid under with my camera. I took a number of pictures of various items under the engine. I located the drain plug on the fuel tank so we can drain and flush it. I also examined the drive chain and determined it will have to be removed, cleaned and lubricated according to the manual.

Back
Top Bottom