Southern States Trip - GA AL MS, LA, NC, SC, FL

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am considering visiting the Southern states again after my previous trip was short circuited by a hurricane. The states would include some or all of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. I could subdivide them into two or three groupings if that made more sense.

My ill-fated former trip allowed me to see Charleston, Savannah, and drive the about 75% of the Natchez Trace. We had to skip the last 25% at the southern end.

Any suggestions for what to see and do would be welcome. We are mostly interested in historical, cultural and natural features. We are not interested in shopping, theme parks, or big city skylines that look like other big city skylines.

Suggestions are welcome including time of the year to visit and weather considerations.

You'll get the best possible advice about what YOU want to do, by asking yourself why you are going and what you want to do there. Is there something, anything at all, that you want to either see or do in the Southern states that is motivating you to leave your home and travel there?

Hurricane season in New Orleans normally goes from around June 1st to November 30th. Normally the weather in October is thought to be the most pleasant weather of the year in New Orleans. No guarantees, though! :) Weather in August or September can be quite hot and muggy.

Last edited:
We did a southeast road trip last fall - end of October. Weather was great. Myrtle Beach, Fort Sumter harbor tour in Charleston, guided walking trip in historic section of Savannah, Edison / Ford Museum in Ft Myers, Siesta Key and Venice Beach, Manatee tour in Crystal River, Aviation Museum in Pensacola. Went to a lot of great restaurants - Lobster Lady in Cape Coral was the best!

Any suggestions for what to see and do would be welcome. We are mostly interested in historical, cultural and natural features. We are not interested in shopping, theme parks, or big city skylines that look like other big city skylines.

Suggestions are welcome including time of the year to visit and weather considerations.
If you are traveling down I-75 through Georgia into Florida, I can recommend a couple of excursions not too far off the highway.
Andersonville National Historic Site will certainly check the history box. This little town in southern Georgia is the location of Camp Sumter Andersonville Prison, Civil War POW camp where 13,000 men perished. It is also the site of the National Prisoner of War Museum.
Further south in north central Florida is Ocala in Marion County, the horse capital of the world. There are many hundreds of horse farms in the county with beautiful, manicured pastures and live oaks with spanish moss. This is a view of Florida many do not know exists. Also in Ocala is the
World Equestrian Center. This is the largest equestrian complex in the U.S. and is still growing. Just driving through some of the country roads a few miles north of Ocala and west of I-75 will let you see a sampling of these scenic horse farms.
Any time of year is nice in south Georgia and north Florida. It is hot and humid in spring, summer and fall. Winters are very mild.

On Georgia coast, stop at Jekyll Island and do the Jekyll Island Club tour of the historic millionaires homes that were built in the early 1900s and later abandoned after WWII. Most have been restored. Visit Driftwood Beach, listed as one of the most romantic beaches on the east coast.

Go to St Simon's Island and visit Ft Fredrica and also the old Coast Guard station museum.

World Equestrian Center. This is the largest equestrian complex in the U.S. and is still growing.
In WNC you have the Tryon International Equestrian Center, Tryon International
Just a few miles from the house, They do Saturday Night Lights about every weekend, FREE, concerts and programs.
History, the Over the Mountain trail runs nearby, and will lead you to Revolutionary Battle fields of Cowpens and Kings Mountain.
Scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mt Mitchell, tallest peak in the east. If you like plants there's

The North Carolina Arboretum, in Asheville NC. The area is also loaded with breweries.​

The best time for most of Florida is late march to early may, so you just missed it! October/november is nice, but still in the hurricane window and this year is expected to be a busy one. It can also be windy inconsistent.

July/Aug/Sept is a bad idea.

I love Greenville, SC. Revitalized and sort of a "foody" downtown area. Also, not far from Hendersonville and Asheville, just a lot more eclectic areas (I prefer Greenville).

... Andersonville National Historic Site will certainly check the history box. This little town in southern Georgia is the location of Camp Sumter Andersonville Prison, Civil War POW camp where 13,000 men perished. It is also the site of the National Prisoner of War Museum.

+1
I visited the POW Museum several years ago, on the spur of the moment as I was driving through the area. I found it fascinating and wish I had been able to spend more time there.

If you are traveling down I-75 through Georgia into Florida, I can recommend a couple of excursions not too far off the highway.
Andersonville National Historic Site will certainly check the history box. This little town in southern Georgia is the location of Camp Sumter Andersonville Prison, Civil War POW camp where 13,000 men perished. It is also the site of the National Prisoner of War Museum.
Further south in north central Florida is Ocala in Marion County, the horse capital of the world. There are many hundreds of horse farms in the county with beautiful, manicured pastures and live oaks with spanish moss. This is a view of Florida many do not know exists. Also in Ocala is the
World Equestrian Center. This is the largest equestrian complex in the U.S. and is still growing. Just driving through some of the country roads a few miles north of Ocala and west of I-75 will let you see a sampling of these scenic horse farms.
Any time of year is nice in south Georgia and north Florida. It is hot and humid in spring, summer and fall. Winters are very mild.
Andersonville is a fantastic museum, I would also recommend the National Civil War Naval Museum (formally the Confederate Naval Museum) and National Infantry Museum both in Columbus, Ga. If you are into history, read the book "The War Outside My Window" the diary of a 13 yo invalid views on the war, quite fascinating. His home is still there in Macon, Ga called the 1842 Inn, a B&B. All these were part of our "Sherman's March to the Sea" road trip a few years ago.

The best time for most of Florida is late march to early may, so you just missed it! October/november is nice, but still in the hurricane window and this year is expected to be a busy one. It can also be windy inconsistent.

July/Aug/Sept is a bad idea.
But that gives me lots of time to plan!! And with the great advice of this group, I should be able to do a good job.

We pretty much head to the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. Blue Ridge parkway is great. Way north Georgia and North Carolina and Tennessee are great. Summer is good in these higher altitude areas. Florida and Gulf Coast is a different season so why combine?

The North Carolina Arboretum, in Asheville NC. The area is also loaded with breweries.
If you're going to Asheville, the Biltmore is well worth it IMO. Asheville is a beautiful area. When we have free time in SE we usually go to Hilton Head, Charleston, Asheville or Blowing Rock NC - but we're not looking for the same things as the OP (sorry).

Last edited:
Andersonville is a fantastic museum, I would also
We pretty much head to the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. Blue Ridge parkway is great. Way north Georgia and North Carolina and Tennessee are great. Summer is good in these higher altitude areas. Florida and Gulf Coast is a different season so why combine?
Why combine? Good question. Maybe I won’t. That’s the kinds of stuff I need to learn. :)

If you're going to Asheville, the Biltmore is well worth it IMO. Asheville is a beautiful area.
Its funny, been coming here since 79, living here since 85, and never been to the Biltmore House. I mean they wont pay to come look at my house.... But I will admit its a great piece of history.

The Carnival Museum in Mobile, AL is a gem. Be sure to accept the free (included in entry ticket) guided tour provided by one of the locals. Lots of Civil War history in/around Mobile as well.

I hit several of those on my recent road trip. MS impressed me (expectation was low but still). Meridian was really cool and if you enjoy museums (especially industrial) the Soule Steam Musuem that I stumbled into was amazing and worth the stop. The Monday Blue's Jam in Jackson at Hal and Mals was a great time as well. I enjoyed Birmingham too, the Sloss Furnaces were more impressive than I expected and are across the street from a brewery with really good food (I had a catfish sandwich) but my hosts said everything there is good there. For NC I'd stick to the mountains. My opinion on LA after this trip is to just stick with New Orleans. Great eating and culture that eclipses the rest of the state. I really enjoyed the Laura Plantation just up the river from NO several years ago. I've been to a lot of plantations growing up in the South and it was interesting being Creole.

If you are near Ashville, NC there is an amazing motorcycle museum (Wheels Through Time) probably the best in the country, eat some Po Boys and Beingnets in New Orleans, in Savannah, Ga a great stop is the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Airforce, The Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex outside of Titusville, Fl, in the Everglades either walk or take a tram on the Shark Valley Loop road off the Tamiami trail, beginning August you can snorkel for lobster in the Keys.

I've been all over NC, and the mountains are OK and I'd say the blue ridge parkway is a nice drive, but check expected crowding on your days. But the better option for me is the outer banks. You can go all the way down to Bald Head and take the ferry back to the mainland. Again, check the tourist density for your dates.

Having lived in Louisiana and Texas for a good chunk of my adult life, I can safely say avoid visits from mid-June to early September as it's hotter 'n Hades and drought has been more long-lasting than in years' past.
Particularly Central and East Texas and just about all of Louisiana. Avoid New Orleans in summer as it's oppressively hot and humid. Some popular restaurants have suspended operations until after August from what I've heard.
DW has been planning for us to migrate to an area where the summers aren't so dreadful before we get much older. We will likely become snowbirds in some way by getting a "lock & leave" townhouse somewhere and follow the seasons. BTW --we were in Brittany, France recently and it reminded us so much of Maine in the Spring / Summer season. Not a bad place to be during the hotter months. Great seafood and reasonable rents.

I spent 9 months last year as a tourism counselor for the state of Louisiana. Let me know if you have any questions specific to the visit. People would ask me "what should we do next?" Jeez! It depends on what you like!

If you love food, then there is Lafayette and New Orleans and a few places in Baton Rouge that rival them (at least according to the NY Times). I could give you a list for NOLA.
Is it a cultural festival? Then ride with the chickens in Mamou, LA before Mardi Gras day. Or go to parades in NOLA, BR, Mandeville, Lafayette and even Mississippi and Alabama BEFORE the bid weekend.

Is it dancing? Buck and Johnny's Zydeco breakfast in Breaux Bridge Louisiana is world renowned (stay in Lafayette for that one) as Rock n Bowl dance hall in NOLA. You'll find Lindy dancers at Rock N Bowl that will blow your mind.

Is it music? Then Jazz Fest and French Quarter Fest in NOLA, International Festival de Acadiens in Lafayette (which I think is better than Jazz Fest and certainly easier and cheaper, or the incredible Blues Festival in Baton Rouge -- which is one of a kind in the whole country.

Is it fishing? Then head down to Grand Isle for the World Renowned Tarpon Rodeo the last Sunday in July. (but make reservations now -- it is always a sell out).

Is it Christmas time? Then Natchitoches for the city of lights festival... the Roosevelt Hotel in NOLA for the whole month of December. You can stay just in the hotel for just a day or two and enjoy breakfast with Santa, a great restaurant or two ... and all the gorgeous lights.

Is it art? Then Nola Museum of Art or White LInen Night in NOLA in August is when all the art galleries throw open their doors to city denizens wearing whatever cool clothing they can find, hopefully white linen. But then the next night, I believe, is Dirty Linen night. (You know, you've stayed out all night and now your clothes are dirty, but you don't want to stop the party). Stay at the Monteleone Hotel for Dirty Linen night and you can just walk to the festivities along Royal Street - or hang out at the Carousel bar going around and around... just like Hemingway did.

If you love coffee there's the NOLA Coffee Festival September 27 - 28th with every coffee adventure you can imagine. If you love cocktails, check out Tales of the Cocktails is in July this year. All the latest cocktail tastings and general bon vivanting goes on with the professionals, and you can buy a ticket and attend any event.

If it's fall -- then LSU football, baby! Check the schedule and rent an Air BnB close to the stadium. You can walk from my house and enjoy the all-day-long tailgating for the big games (think Alabama vs LSU).

Want to step back in time? My fav is Houmas House Plantation on River Road. 2nd favorite is St. Francisville Inn, a tiny, welcoming hotel in the middle of St. Francisville Louisiana. There is also a haunted house nearby you can visit. I hear it really is haunted, but I hate that stuff, so I don't go!

I know I left a lot out -- anyone else from LA want to jump in? I don't have as much experience with the northern part of the state.

I am considering visiting the Southern states again after my previous trip was short circuited by a hurricane. The states would include some or all of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. I could subdivide them into two or three groupings if that made more sense.

My ill-fated former trip allowed me to see Charleston, Savannah, and drive the about 75% of the Natchez Trace. We had to skip the last 25% at the southern end.

If you make it down around I-10 in South MS, a stop in downtown Ocean Springs or downtown Bay St. Louis would be on the list. Of course October has some of the nicest weather down here and Cruisin the Coast is usually around the 1st-2nd week in October. If you haven’t been and you like classic cars, it’s a must see.

Back
Top Bottom