Space - The Final Frontier

...The Starship will come in different configurations, such as the lunar lander, tanker, propellant depot, and satellite deployer...

None of which have been tested successfully, never mind being anywhere near operation.

I do think they're on the right track. I just worry that I won't live to see the next (US) moon landing. Things like in-orbit refueling might not turn out to be as simple as we think. And even with SpaceX-style iterative testing where failure is an option, I imagine it'll take a while to get that right.

Ingenuity, the little Mars helicopter flew 72 missions and far exceeded its expectations. But, a rotor is damaged and Ingenuity will fly no more.

https://www.space.com/nasa-ingenuity-mars-helicopter-mission-ends

“ Ingenuity — the first-ever robot to ply the skies of an alien world — suffered rotor-blade damage during its most recent hop and "is no longer capable of flight," NASA announced today (Jan. 25).”

Looks like we have another lunar lander attempting a soft landing. This one might launch on Feb 14 by Space X and it is an interesting private company with a bunch of payloads on it. Hopefully this one doesn't land with its solar panels facing the ground like Japan's SLIM. From the IM website pic it looks like 2 sets of solar panels on its sides, but if it falls over, it could mean similar problems to Japan's SLIM. ....Just going by the pics and not sure how critical those panels are to its power health and payloads.

"SpaceX and Houston-based Intuitive Machines are targeting Feb. 14 for the launch of the private IM-1 moon mission, the two companies announced on Monday (Feb. 5). IM-1 is scheduled to lift off atop a Falcon 9 rocket from Florida's Cape Canaveral Space Force Station on Feb. 14 at 12:57 a.m. EST (0557 GMT), sending Intuitive Machines' robotic Nova-C lander "Odysseus" toward Earth's nearest neighbor." https://www.space.com/intuitive-machines-spacex-im-1-moon-launch-february-14

A List of the payloads and a description of the vehicle are here: https://www.intuitivemachines.com/im-1

Feb 22 looks like the date for the next Lunar attempt:

"Odysseus, a robotic lunar lander built by the Houston-based company Intuitive Machines, lifted off atop a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida early this morning (Feb. 15).

If all goes according to plan, Odysseus will touch down near the moon's south pole on Feb. 22, becoming the first-ever private spacecraft to ace a lunar landing."

Ingenuity, the little Mars helicopter flew 72 missions and far exceeded its expectations. But, a rotor is damaged and Ingenuity will fly no more.

https://www.space.com/nasa-ingenuity-mars-helicopter-mission-ends

“ Ingenuity — the first-ever robot to ply the skies of an alien world — suffered rotor-blade damage during its most recent hop and "is no longer capable of flight," NASA announced today (Jan. 25).”

It had quite the run. 30 days became 3 years, 11 miles and a whole lot of data gathered for future endeavors.
I'm in the school of not sending people to Mars, and continuing to improve and enhance our remote capabilities.
AI is going to have a major impact in this regard. When you can send instruction sets to something that can learn while it is out there is exciting.

Pretty wild that they had to use one of the Payloads from NASA to complete the landing since the onboard Nav system failed.

"In the home stretch of its touchdown try today, however, the lander's handlers discovered that Odysseus' laser rangefinders, which allow it to determine its altitude and horizontal velocity, weren't working properly. So the team pressed NASA's experimental NDL payload into service for this vital function, pushing the landing try back by two hours to put the new plan into action.This last-minute workaround — which required the team to design a software patch on the ground and beam it up to Odysseus — did the trick. At 6:11 p.m. EST (2311 GMT) today, Odysseus fired up its main engine for a crucial 11-minute burn that slowed the craft's descent toward the lunar surface. Then, at 6:23 p.m. EST (2353 GMT), Odysseus touched down softly near the rim of the crater Malapert A, about 190 miles (300 kilometers) from the lunar south pole. .....

"The NASA instruments, which cost the agency an additional $11 million to develop, are designed to conduct a variety of investigations. For instance, one of them, called NDL ("Navigation Doppler Lidar for Precise Velocity and Range Sensing") used LIDAR (light detection and ranging) technology to collect data during descent and landing. NDL turned out to be vital to today's touchdown, as you'll see below."

Well, I guess it was "private" except for the $118,000,000 of NASA funds ...

Waiting for the "what's next."

Just read that SpaceX applied for 9 more launches of Starship this year.

Should be exiting to follow!

Just read that SpaceX applied for 9 more launches of Starship this year.

Should be exiting to follow!

I figure we have two chances to see a Starship launch. We will be travelling across Texas right before the eclipse, on our way to spending a month or so in Florida (where it is easy to catch a Falcon launch), then we will likely be returning some time in late May.

I am not going to drive down to Brownsville twice though. We will have to play it by ear to see what the chances of a launch are.

Pretty wild that they had to use one of the Payloads from NASA to complete the landing since the onboard Nav system failed.

"In the home stretch of its touchdown try today, however, the lander's handlers discovered that Odysseus' laser rangefinders, which allow it to determine its altitude and horizontal velocity, weren't working properly. So the team pressed NASA's experimental NDL payload into service for this vital function, pushing the landing try back by two hours to put the new plan into action.This last-minute workaround — which required the team to design a software patch on the ground and beam it up to Odysseus — did the trick. At 6:11 p.m. EST (2311 GMT) today, Odysseus fired up its main engine for a crucial 11-minute burn that slowed the craft's descent toward the lunar surface. Then, at 6:23 p.m. EST (2353 GMT), Odysseus touched down softly near the rim of the crater Malapert A, about 190 miles (300 kilometers) from the lunar south pole. .....

"The NASA instruments, which cost the agency an additional $11 million to develop, are designed to conduct a variety of investigations. For instance, one of them, called NDL ("Navigation Doppler Lidar for Precise Velocity and Range Sensing") used LIDAR (light detection and ranging) technology to collect data during descent and landing. NDL turned out to be vital to today's touchdown, as you'll see below."

Crazy dat!

If they hadn’t had the navigation test pay this launch too would have been toast.

Kudos to them for swinging this.

I figure we have two chances to see a Starship launch. We will be travelling across Texas right before the eclipse, on our way to spending a month or so in Florida (where it is easy to catch a Falcon launch), then we will likely be returning some time in late May.

I am not going to drive down to Brownsville twice though. We will have to play it by ear to see what the chances of a launch are.

You don’t go to Brownsville to watch a launch, or drive through Brownsville. You go to South Padre Island - big park at southern tip.

SpaceX is launching like crazy. They launched the recent moon lander.

Yeah, but Starship is a totally different animal. I suspect it'll be a while before it becomes as routine as Falcon. And probably some more rapid unscheduled disassemblies along the way. I do hope they get it right. I'd like to still be alive for the next crewed moon landing.

I was a boy back in the Apollo days, one who followed all the news about the missions. And I so wanted to become an astronaut and fly on the first manned mission to Mars, which I was certain would be just around the corner. Probably best that I didn't follow that dream.

Yeah, but Starship is a totally different animal. I suspect it'll be a while before it becomes as routine as Falcon. And probably some more rapid unscheduled disassemblies along the way. I do hope they get it right. I'd like to still be alive for the next crewed moon landing.

Honestly, I think StarShip will blow up or otherwise suffer a catastrophic failure of some type for about six more flights. Saying it’s ambitious is putting it mildly. But, so was landing booster stages, and today it is the norm for SpaceX. SpaceX has had eight manned launches in the last few years, while their competitor Boeing may have their first manned launch next month. I hope
Boeing has a successful test flight. Still, everybody else seems to be eating the SpaceX dust. And copying their design. ;)

Update on Boeing’s Starliner first manned launch from the most recent Rocket Report;

Atlas V assembly begins for Starliner launch. United Launch Alliance's ground team at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station kicked off the stacking of an Atlas V rocket Wednesday for the first launch of astronauts on Boeing's Starliner crew capsule. Starliner's oft-delayed Crew Flight Test is currently scheduled for launch in mid-April, carrying NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to the International Space Station for a mission lasting up to two weeks. Cranes raised the first stage of the Atlas V vertically on its mobile launch platform Wednesday. That will be followed by the attachment of two solid rocket boosters and the Centaur upper stage. In early April, the Starliner spacecraft will be installed on top of the Atlas V. Boeing says a successful test in January of a redesign in Starliner's parachute system helped clear the way for the Crew Flight Test.

I am still wondering why anybody would want to be going to mars to live:confused:

I would rather be locked up in a white collar prison here than do that...

I'd do it.

Except for the fame... why?

The new test they are gong to do is have people live here in a 1700 sq ft location that is supposed to be Mars... my house is bigger than that and I have to get out to stay sane... no way I could stay for a year (or longer)..

Most submariners could do it easily.

Except for the fame... why?

The new test they are gong to do is have people live here in a 1700 sq ft location that is supposed to be Mars... my house is bigger than that and I have to get out to stay sane... no way I could stay for a year (or longer)..

I have lived on a sailboat and in a RV for extended periods. Give me a kindle and some re-hydrated coffee and I would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom