spending and net worth ratio

Instead of a van, I would look at land in a pretty area, maybe near a college town, without a lot of zoning laws, and put a modular home on it with a septic tank and solar panels. One of our kids is considering this and it is quite affordable, even in California. There are Sear's catalog kit homes still standing today - Sears Catalog Homes We Love - Bob Vila.

With no mortgage, low utilities, electric car, solar panels, permaculture or xeriscaped yard, maybe grow some of your own food, and the ACA for health care, you can have a home and retire when you want or work part-time, with very low overhead. Then buy a camper van for travel but you still have a house, community and a home base to return to.

I get the whole idea of "9 to 5" isn't for everyone...but it sure does provide a solid means to an end.

+1

I mentioned in another thread this morning, that I'm glad I dropped out of the world of conventional work at the end of my career, and not near the beginning of it! Once one gets used to the lack of a 9 to 5, it can be hard to get back into that mindset. Your friend seems to have committed himself to a rougher time in later life, in exchange for following his desires earlier on. I was lucky enough to be able to follow my interests, and still make money from them. I never stopped thinking about money and the future though. Whether we like it or not, money makes our world go round. In the world we live in, it's important stuff.

I just noticed that I have about 5.7% ratio of past 10 yr of total spending divided by current net worth and was wondering if it means something to you guys.
I really want to travel in all kinds types to as many places as possible. Cruises and stuff and not have to worry about the finances.

OP, I'm not sure I understand what this thread is really about. Have you sat down and figured out what your expenses would be if you decided to live a nomadic lifestyle, full of "cruises and stuff"? Once you determine roughly what your annual expenses will look like (including things like medical insurance, along with lumpy/occasional costs), then you'll know how big of a nest egg will be required to fund it. Your goal of $4MM might be plenty, or it might not be enough to cover your desired lifestyle. I mean, "travel... all kinds... all types" can mean a lot of different things to different people and can be done cheaply or extravagantly. You need to figure out what you want it to be for you. It doesn't matter that you've spent only 5.7% of your net worth over the past ten years. That's irrelevant.

Thanks for all the discussions, questions, and ideas. I have to admit that I did not expect much response in my original post so now with all the questions which are built on top of other earlier questions and information, the thread kind of got lost. I don't really know what I want in the next couple of years so I am just going to stick to the original RE goal and hopefully when things settle on the back of my head, I will revisit the plan.

Back
Top Bottom