Sperm bank threatens to sue DNA tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's follow where this leads for a bit. If we say a child has a "right" to know the identity of his/her biological mother (for medical/health reasons), then surely the child's "right" to know the identity of his/her biological father is just as absolute. Why "discriminate" against the mother, giving her a burden that the biological father doesn't have? Can/should we also make disclosure of the father's identity by the mother mandatory? And what is the legal recourse if she demands to keep her own identity and that of the father from disclosure?

There are no absolute rights, every right is a tradeoff with respect to the rights of others. I can understand that some people may believe that the rights of a child to know their medical history are more important than the biological mother's (and father's) right to privacy--on the face of it, that makes sense. But, in this area, the courts have told us already that the mom has very strong privacy rights.

...... .

I believe I said " full ancestral medical history" so that is both bio father and bio mother, no discrimination.
If that means rich men and rapists and pedophiles get revealed, too bad.
Closed adoptions provides a nice way to hide these ugly facts from society.

As to the legal recourse, I'll leave that up to others to decide, it simply should not be available.

The courts have been wrong many times in the past, examples are: women not allowed to vote. Slavery is legal, etc...

I too am an adoptee, which is why I care about this subject, and I'm not in perfect health. My adoptive parents never hid it, and I was super lucky to be picked by them, also glad I wasn't aborted, luck of the draw.

Every doctor appointment, the doctors ask, family medical history ? ? - N/A.
Maybe doctors should be banned from asking that question so everyone else knows what it's like and respect bio parents privacy in everyone's situation.

I got my adoption papers from the gov't , it's like a top secret document, with redacted lines and paragraphs all over it.

...There are no absolute rights, every right is a tradeoff with respect to the rights of others...

...Like you, I was also the adoptee in a closed adoption. I never had these feelings of lack of identity. It remains a mystery to me why people give a hoot about their biological ancestors as a means to establish who they are. Who I am today is >far< more the product of the love, care, and hard work of the couple who raised me than of the two folks who provided my genetic material. I know who I am, I am not dependent on knowing anything about my biological lineage to help me with that.

About 6 decades ago, a young lady was in a tough spot with an unwanted pregnancy and few options. She saw that through and made the decision to give her child up to another couple to raise. I know my parents, despite all the headaches I caused them, were grateful for their whole lives that she made that choice, and I was, too. She chose to keep her identity private and I respected that choice. Yes, I would have liked more medical history, but I don't think it is my right. That young lady already gave up quite a bit of her privacy and her life. She owes me, and society, nothing...

Very powerful comments, thanks for sharing. I don't have a horse in this race, as I'm not an adopter or adoptee. I have done genealogy work, and it sure is nice to have everything neat and tidy, but I suspect it's never going to be that simple, and I feel some responsibility to respect the wishes of the people involved.

I know technology has changed things going forward, but I keep coming back to that young woman (or couple) with that difficult decision. Based on the promises made at that time, they put their trust in the adoption agency, and the law, to maintain their privacy. To renege now feels wrong.

Another side effect is that women facing the choice between adoption and abortion now have a stronger incentive to consider the latter.

I just think it's more complex than many realize.

in the "One More Time" category: See my tag line. Read it, believe it, live it.:(

Giving up a baby is one of the most loving things a parent can do. It makes a dream come true for a couple unable to conceive. I used to work with abused children and many would have been better off if they had been adopted. I think it’s good for the parents to include a medical history even if they want their identity secret.

With regard to the article, in my opinion the mother was a fault when she wrote to the grandmother. The agreement was that she was not to attempt to attempt to contact donor directly or indirectly. Part of the inducement to make the donation was that he was not to be contacted.

There were no extenuating medical circumstances here.

Obviously, the child would not be bound by the agreement when she reaches adulthood.

As far as the donor paying child support: absolutely not. That was another inducement to make the donation; which has been upheld by the judicial system.

Due to the changes in technology, the concept of perpetual anonymity of the donor, is a fading one.

Thats the only motivation this women had. She thought she was going to cash in.

Lesson: Don't donate sperm because you may be paying child support eventually.

+1
Nearly all the common law expects biological fathers to take responsibility for their offspring, so Until there is a constitutional amendment specifically protecting sperm donors, one is at significant risk donating.

Conversely, donor fathers can also use these DNA tests to locate their donee children. This goes both ways.

Conversely, donor fathers can also use these DNA tests to locate their donee children. This goes both ways.

Using DNA testing for seeking out information on people goes both ways.

Gaining financially from using the information will not.

Several of us were discussing what financial risks the males were taking by donating.

The linked article in the OP and the thread topic is about adapted children using DNA testing to identify and find their biological parents. There is no mention of lawsuits, that is little more than a red herring to this otherwise interesting discussion. Let’s just drop it and stick to the topic.

Several of us were discussing what financial risks the males were taking by donating.

Yeah I got that. That I’d throw out the corresponding risk of potential related custody disputes. Sorry if it didn’t meet your approval for being on topic. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom