Spreads so easily......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot recall how it is in Denver, but at many airports, once you go through security in the central hub, there is an underground tram/train that takes you to and from the individual terminals/concourses. And that is the only way that you are allowed to get there. Pittsburgh is one that I specifically recall being that way.

Yep. Many terminals are little islands in the middle of the ramps. Some have alternative walkway tunnels. Others do not and it is train only.

Yes exactly, you cannot get around DFW without those trains. I mean I guess you could but you'd best be ready to walk a mile. I think LAS has a setup like that too? Several airports you almost can't get off the plane to the parking lot without a train involved.

This is what I fear for everyone of my traveling family members. We have one positive so far, it's still too soon to know the rest.

That’s what keeps me from flying - not the airplane, but the airport. Too many potentially crowded indoor situations that might be impossible to avoid.

That’s what keeps me from flying - not the airplane, but the airport. Too many potentially crowded indoor situations that might be impossible to avoid.

+1

That's what some of the doctors on TV have said also.

Agree 100%.
I have NO plans to fly anytime soon. And I only share a car with DW- no ride sharing for me these days.

A friend recently flew to the mainland to be with his brother who had a heart attack. So far, he has been unable to find a place to be tested so that he can return. Currently HI is requiring a negative test 3 days before flying to the Islands. Friend says the few places that qualify for HI (I think it's CVS, Walgreens and one more) are booked or out of tests. So, he is "stuck" on the mainland. I'm thinking he could return and quarantine for 14 days. That may be his best option - though not a good one. THAT prospect would keep me from flying right now (maybe not being able to get back home!) YMMV

I just got word from DD -- she and her husband have it. Our next-door neighbors came down with it in October, but got off lightly. The guy went in for shoulder surgery and tested positive -- didn't even know he was infected. Wife lost her sense of taste, and it's still not 100%. But she wasn't incapacitated at any point.

An EMT in our town died of covid a week ago. The governor ordered flags flown at half staff statewide.

I feel for everyone affected. I knew 1 person who got it (died but was in & out of hospitals with Parkinson), know several who are tested constantly (medical providers). I know it's out there but if everyone masked up / kept their distance while being outside / avoided mass gatherings we can / will get through this.

FWIW I don't use sanitizers bc it wrecks my hands and the virus doesn't live forever on surfaces. All in my 4 household bubble are just uber cautious / careful

Deep cleaning a laptop? I think 30 seconds with a hair drier would do it. Or leave it sit a couple of days. My library assures me that the books are virus-free, and not to try to clean them. I wondered how they do it (low oven?) or just time.

My library uses time.

After congratulating myself for living in a low infection rate county, I read that the hospital a half mile from my home is in the top 10 nationally, being overrun at 146% of capacity and rising. I have to think it's related to Thanksgiving family gatherings.

All 4 nations in the UK have agreed to a 4 day relaxation of the rules over Christmas, 23rd to 27th allowing mixing of households indoors. Despite the relaxation there are appeals for caution and the health officials are expecting a sharp rise in cases resulting in a shutdown in January.

My wife’s sister lives alone in Edinburgh and we had planned on driving up with our son and spending a night with her, but we have had 2nd thoughts and she is fully onboard with skipping those plans.

I talked with my sister today and she said her MIL called her to ask if it was okay if she didn’t come for Christmas lunch and stay safe in her assisted living facility.

I really hope enough people play it safe to avoid more super spreader events over the Christmas period.

Would you be able to do a socially-distanced visit ; i.e. driving up may be sharing a meal outdoors with a patio heater and then driving back?

After congratulating myself for living in a low infection rate county, I read that the hospital a half mile from my home is in the top 10 nationally, being overrun at 146% of capacity and rising. I have to think it's related to Thanksgiving family gatherings.

Amazing!
Soon after posting the above, I got an alert from the county that the report in the NYT was in error. Somewhere between the hospital and HHS there was a glitch that double counted admissions. Back to normal, and a huge relief for me!

Would you be able to do a socially-distanced visit ; i.e. driving up may be sharing a meal outdoors with a patio heater and then driving back?

Not really, as it is a 4 hour drive, and it’s winter so driving conditions could end up very tiring.

We spent 2 weeks together end of September and video call every week so that will have to do. She has had a hard couple of years, losing her husband to pancreatic cancer in 2017 and then having open heart surgery herself in February this year. We could end up literally killing her with kindness if we gave her Covid as our area is in a much higher incident band than hers at present.

We could end up literally killing her with kindness if we gave her Covid as our area is in a much higher incident band than hers at present.

A caring act versus callous thought expressed by a 71-year old Carol Kinderknecht in Kansas towards those in nursing homes ---
"One thing they don't tell you is that a lot of those people are in their 80s and 90s and are in the nursing home and are already sick," she says of the dead. "In a small community, you're going to know everybody. And you also know they've been in the nursing home for a long time."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/12/12/coronavirus-deaths-highest-us-rural-republican-leaning-county/3828902001/

State covid graphic

The Friday edition (12/11/20) of the WSJ had an interesting graphic that answers the question: If each state had 100 people, how many people in the state have contracted CV-19?

Lowest are Hawaii, Maine and Vermont with one person.
Highest is North Dakota with 11 people.

Most other states are bunched in the 4-7 range.

Thirteen states have 6 people.
Nine states have 5 people.
Eleven states have 11 people.

Yesterday our little mom'n'pop restaurant where we eat lunch every day, was closed and a remediation truck was there.

Today we asked about it and found out that one of their employees tested positive for COVID (they are tested regularly). So, the remediation truck was disinfecting the entire restaurant.

This mom'n'pop restaurant is very careful about social distancing, PPE, and disinfecting everything nearly constantly, but this happened anyway. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks if we are going to come down with it too. Wish us luck. I would really like to get through 2020 safe and sound.

Our local grocery stores have all had employees come down with COVID fairly frequently too. Even Amazon has had over 20,000 employees come down with COVID. "Spreads so easily...".

I noticed that the number hospitalized is rising more slowly. Michael Osterholm believes that more people are being sent back home to recover - people who would otherwise have been hospitalized a month or so ago.

Last edited:
Yesterday our little mom'n'pop restaurant where we eat lunch every day, was closed and a remediation truck was there.

Today we asked about it and found out that one of their employees tested positive for COVID (they are tested regularly). So, the remediation truck was disinfecting the entire restaurant.

This mom'n'pop restaurant is very careful about social distancing, PPE, and disinfecting everything nearly constantly, but this happened anyway. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks if we are going to come down with it too. Wish us luck. I would really like to get through 2020 safe and sound.

Our local grocery stores have all had employees come down with COVID fairly frequently too. Even Amazon has had over 20,000 employees come down with COVID. "Spreads so easily...".

W2R I have heard you say before that you eat lunch in a restaurant everyday. Coming from someone who has not eaten in a restaurant since the first week of March I find that quite mind boggling, but I guess each of us have to decide our risk levels. I certainly hope you do not get sick.

W2R I have heard you say before that you eat lunch in a restaurant everyday. Coming from someone who has not eaten in a restaurant since the first week of March I find that quite mind boggling, but I guess each of us have to decide our risk levels. I certainly hope you do not get sick.

harllee I certainly hope you do not get sick from your own (IMO far, far more risky) behaviors as well. Good luck

This immediately brought to mind the thought that this was the local mafioso come to sort out the collection of their protection money.

harllee I certainly hope you do not get sick from your own (IMO far, far more risky) behaviors as well. Good luck

Did I miss something or are you mistaking her for someone else?

I don't recall any "far, far more risky" behavior. A colonoscopy maybe? On the other hand, I don't read every post here.

I haven't been inside a restaurant either since late March except to pick up orders.
And for those, I would rather pay ahead rather than having the additional minutes of having them run my credit card.

Did I miss something or are you mistaking her for someone else?

I don't recall any "far, far more risky" behavior. A colonoscopy maybe? On the other hand, I don't read every post here.

I haven't been inside a restaurant either since late March except to pick up orders.
And for those, I would rather pay ahead rather than having the additional minutes of having them run my credit card.

I have the same question. I have really tried to avoid any risk because of our ages and DH's autoimmune disease. I guess the riskiest things I have done are a root canal (an emergency) and a colonoscopy (delayed from spring and I felt it was worth the risk). I have not been to a restaurant or inside a grocery since the first of March. I stay inside my car at Church and listen to the service on the radio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom