SS - spousal benefits for older spouse

Stormy Kromer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I apologize if this question has been posted and answered before. I hesitated to even ask another SS question but here goes.

DW is 4 years older than me and will be claiming spousal benefits based on my earnings.

The way I understand is she can claim 50% of my Full Retirement Benefits when she reaches 67. That is our plan.

However, I will be 62.5 when that happens and I don't really want to apply for benefits until I reach Full Benefits at age 67.

There is no benefit in her waiting those 4.5 years since her benefit will not increase beyond age 67.

Is there a way to start her benefits when she turns 67 without claiming mine at age 62.5 ? She was born in 1961, me in 1965.

Thanks everyone.

No, she cannot claim spousal until you file. She can file for her own benefits at age 67 and then when you file later, if 50% of your PIA is greater than her own benefit, she can then switch to spousal.

Not a serious response - but I think she could divorce you and claim the benefit w/o you claiming.

Edit: you would have to be divorced 2 years

Last edited:
But then she would lose survivor benefits.

Excelent point - I just happened to be recently looking into this a little, because my sister was a stay at home mom and then divorced (years ago) and really hasn't had alot of high paying jobs since.

Edit: I'm sorry I started this discussion - it was mostly as a joke, but now that its out there I dont want to leave bad info. I just looked and I think a divorced spouse who doesnt remarry is entitled to survivor benefits

Last edited:
Excelent point - I just happened to be recently looking into this a little, because my sister was a stay at home mom and then divorced (years ago) and really hasn't had alot of high paying jobs since.

Edit: I'm sorry I started this discussion - it was mostly as a joke, but now that its out there I dont want to leave bad info. I just looked and I think a divorced spouse who doesnt remarry is entitled to survivor benefits

You are right. If the divorced spouse has been married for 10 years, and not remarry or if the person remarries after the age of 60, the person will still get survivor benefits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom