Sshould your stocks/funds be a secret?

slg8080

Confused about dryer sheets
Im just a beginner in investing and been reading lot of investing forums on the net. I can't understand when someone ask's what mutual fund you have? or what stock do you have? nobody replies with an answer. they just beat around the bush or use a general name like "energy stocks". hardly ever will i read where someone gave the symbol there invested in. why is that, is it a secret? would it hurt your portfolio if ya gave the symbol out?

I don't think you've done much reading on the forum since almost everyone has discussed what funds/stocks they own at one time or another. But to keep you from having to use that nasty old search button, here are my top three: DODBX, DODFX, VWIAX

I have not noticed that people in this forum are not disclosing funds that they own.

Try Bogglehead site. They tend to discuss funds and allocation more in depth than does this site.
Bogleheads :: Index

I usually don't post mine because they're not Vanguard..........:)

You will see lots of posts listing funds and stocks. Most people are more circumspect about posting quantities.

Sure I have a total stock market fund,emerging markets fund,total international fund,some reits and some bonds. Pretty boring stuff.

I've never found people to hide this info if asked, but it generally communicates more info to people to say I own an S&P500 index than to say I own SPY. Most people understand categories more than specific symbols.

But I am often frustrated that the vanguard site operates on fund names rather than symbols.

free4now, the vanguard site will work with symbols as well.

OP, I own VFIAX, VFINX, VTSMX, and SWPIX. My children's 529 plans are in my state's 529 plan and are essential similar to target retirement funds but are "target college" funds. They don't have symbols because they are not publicly traded on any exchange.

2Cor521

Hey, I don't mind sharing the funds/stocks that work. Ya mean you want to hear about my miserable failures too?

Hey, I don't mind sharing the funds/stocks that work. Ya mean you want to hear about my miserable failures too?

Here's a couple to get the party started: MITTX and MIGFX..............:p:eek:

why is that, is it a secret? would it hurt your portfolio if ya gave the symbol out?

I probably shouldn't let you in on this secret, but we millionaires trade in such size that our executions for Citicorp might be affected by mentioning our trading plans on the internet.

Ha

I probably shouldn't let you in on this secret, but we millionaires trade in such size that our executions for Citicorp might be affected by mentioning our trading plans on the internet.

Ha

About 9 years ago I moved the price of SUI almost $1 by accidently putting an extra '0' on
my order, a market order buy of 8000 shares instead of 800. By the time I had resold the
extra 7200 shares a few minutes later I had lost about $2000, and earned a 90 day cash only
trading penalty for the 'free-ride' violation.

About 9 years ago I moved the price of SUI almost $1 by accidently putting an extra '0' on
my order, a market order buy of 8000 shares instead of 800. By the time I had resold the
extra 7200 shares a few minutes later I had lost about $2000, and earned a 90 day cash only
trading penalty for the 'free-ride' violation.

How, pray tell, did you move the price with a market order? Was it an illiquid issue back then?

ETA: Never mind, back 9 years ago 8,000 shares of SUI would have been quite a bit of volume.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom