Starting a small business

maggieddd

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, I am thinking of starting my own little business. I will not quit my regualr job yet. I want to start slowly and see have it takes off. I am thinking of doing web design, technical support, photography (not just taking pictures, but digitizing slides, photo restoration and such). Do you think there is a market for that? Should I even bother? I have done 2 websites for 2 companies and got paid for it. I got these 2 jobs just because a friend of mine knew I designed a site for my current company and she asked if I would do it for the place she works for. After I did that they asked if I would do a site for someone else they knew. Now, I am thinking maybe I should just do that? I also recently got a certificate in Digital Photography from an acclaimed school. Took me 2.5 years to get it and I am rally enoying this. I have also been fixing computers for people I know in my spare time
So, do you think there is a market for that?
Where do I start?
Do I start with advertising?
How would you approach it?

Thank you for any advice you might provide

maggieddd said:
Well, I am thinking of starting my own little business.  I will not quit my regualr job yet.  I want to start slowly and see have it takes off.  I am thinking of doing web design, technical support, photography (not just taking pictures, but digitizing slides, photo restoration and such).  Do you think there is a market for that?  Should I even bother?

There is a market for almost anything.

Do you know that Thomas J. Watson, Sr. once said, "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."  Who was Thomas J. Watson, Sr?  Chairman of the Board of International Business Machines in 1943.  And now you know the rest of the story.

I have gone through our family's pics and scanned, retouched a lot, and given copies to my siblings. Seems like there is a market for this kind of stuff.

maggieddd said:
thanks for the replies.  How do I get it rolling though?  :confused:

Tell as many people as you can what you do (without sounding like a salesperson) since most of your business will come from word of mouth.

To supplement that, send out flyers to local businesses you want to target. No spam emails since that is more of a turnoff.

Every time you look for a business online that either doesn't have a website, or a poorly designed one, send them a letter, call them, or visit their place of business and tell them that you couldn't find them on the web and you can help them solve that problem.

Talk to your CPA and attorney and tell them what you do and what you can do for a business. They can be part of your network.

Join local clubs, and get to be known in your community.

In a few minutes, I just came up with these ideas off the top of my head. You should be able to think of unlimited more ways of promoting your business.

If you do your job well, trust me, you won't be able to keep up with business once you get rolling.

Back
Top Bottom