Starting from scratch

FWIW you are not alone, especially in your peer group: Gen Y is notorious for its sense of entitlement.
In all fairness to Gen Y, I should note that they do have some legitimate cause for complaint.

We all know that educational demands for entry level positions have steadily increased over the years. E.g., it is difficult to see why a commercial pilot requires a university degree, or why a retail banker needs an MBA, but those are the realities of the current job market. Unpaid internships are also becoming common. Having invested all that time, money and (presumably) effort, it is understandable why one might feel a bit cheated to wind up in a low-level position.

Well I got another job, starting today. Wish me luck. Working for a small company with plans to expand once certain things fall into place. About the same pay as I made before but I get to work directly with a CEO and have a bit more control over my schedule. :)

Congratulations!!!! That's wonderful that you found something in two months, in this job market. I hope you enjoy it and do well--it sounds like you will.

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know.

Please keep us posted on how you like your new job.

-- Rita

Thanks for the well wishes all! :) I have a friend who has been working at Kohl's for as long as I can remember. He has a Bachelor's Degree, but still isn't making much more than $8/hr. He tells me he put in lots of apps, but quantity alone isn't going to get him anywhere. In his defense, he has dyslexia but he totally needs to dabble in some new things. I feel he will let too much time go by and get into trouble paying off his loans and also be unmarketable.

In all fairness to Gen Y, I should note that they do have some legitimate cause for complaint.

We all know that educational demands for entry level positions have steadily increased over the years. E.g., it is difficult to see why a commercial pilot requires a university degree, or why a retail banker needs an MBA, but those are the realities of the current job market. Unpaid internships are also becoming common. Having invested all that time, money and (presumably) effort, it is understandable why one might feel a bit cheated to wind up in a low-level position.

You're right, so many people put tons of money into education. Imagine finishing college with 100,000+ in tuition and then waiting for months only to get a job that pays $25k/yr or less. Talk about a letdown. We are taught to strive for advanced degrees to be more competitive. As individuals and as a country where we are being out innovated using a number of technologies we pioneered but never followed through to improve.

I'd work for free only if I loved what I was doing, or got the chance to work for someone who was very successful.

Sanity is priceless!
You know...I always thought a college degree was a good investment, but the ROI on my massage therapy certification is astounding. I am making $35/hr at massage envy and $65/hr in private practice....and working only 25-30 hours a week to maintain the same lifestyle I had when I worked in corporate.

Sanity is priceless!
You know...I always thought a college degree was a good investment, but the ROI on my massage therapy certification is astounding. I am making $35/hr at massage envy and $65/hr in private practice....and working only 25-30 hours a week to maintain the same lifestyle I had when I worked in corporate.

Citrine, that is wonderful! I knew that massage therapy was a career that you felt would make you happy, but I never dreamed that you would be making that kind of money doing it. Congratulations!

Thanks Want2Retire.....it is an amazing field and there are so many opportunities that have yet to blow up!

Sanity is priceless!

Just a question... are you actually working 25-30 hours a week or only billing that amount of time?

One of the problems with working by the hour... you usually are not busy all the time and do not get paid for those lost hours.... in your example, $35 per hour for 40 per week is a $70K per year gig... but since you do not get paid for vacation and holidays... maybe you are down to $55K or so if you take time off and do not fill up a week.... not bad at all, but not like a $35 per hour office worker...

Texas....I am actually working for 25-30 hrs. Our location is fairly new so I still have my Cobra insurance and we will be getting holidays/vacation pay once we hit a certain amount of members.

You're right, so many people put tons of money into education. Imagine finishing college with 100,000+ in tuition and then waiting for months only to get a job that pays $25k/yr or less. Talk about a letdown. We are taught to strive for advanced degrees to be more competitive.

I can barely imagine that, but I also think that putting a little forethought into the process could help avoid the problem. My SisIL put one son through private college at ~$40K/year. Majoring in Sacred Music might be fascinating, but never had much of a chance of being worth the cost. Now he's considering a Masters. More cost, probably won't make much of a difference salary wise.

The other son is currently in a good school (near the same cost), but is majoring in Astronautical Engineering. His degree and advanced degrees will cost a lot, but have a good chance of having a decent ROI.

I realize many are having to get lower paying jobs in non-major fields due to the crappy economy. That's just bad luck, which comes and goes. Not their fault for the most part. Just one of those character building things that I've spent most of my life trying to avoid. :D

That's because character building is fun and makes for good stories only in retrospect.

As for some of the responses to the OP's use of a headhunter, I find that head hunter aren't "useless". They do the same thing a broker does especially for cross-country job hunts. Just make sure that you use a reputable agency and one that charges only success fees from the employer. I have never worked with one that wanted a fee up front.

Update: I have posted in a few other threads here. I like LI overall, but often I question whether I want to stay. I graduated with an MBA in 2008 and haven't moved up very much since getting it. I quit my job working for a credit union because I didn't see much of a future for me there. Right now I'm working as a part-time assistant. I have suggested getting more hours, but my boss does a lot of traveling. On days he is gone or has meetings I generally don't do any work. I can fluctuate from 6 hours a week to 30, but there is no consistency. Looking at all my options. I am 26 years old.

I like my boss, but from a sheer numbers perspective, I either need more hours, a part-time evening job or a full-time job. Moving is not out of the picture either.

I don't think I'll ever be able to buy a house here on a single income. Apartment would be doable depending on future wages, but my goal now is to pay off my 48k of debt. Kinda hard doing that with what can vary from 1000-1400/mo (less once I claim taxes). I really need to do make some kind of major change fast. Looking for jobs as an entry level MBA, but most of those jobs want someone with many years of experience in a given field.

Not really sure what the smart move to do. I don't regret the choices I have made. No sense in staying in a dead-end job for almost 4 years, despite going on interviews to branch out to other departments. It was a bit shady to begin with, the last promotion I got, the person whose job I was replacing was on vacation and had no idea he was being demoted until after the fact.

A friend of mine later this year may have an apartment for me to rent, asking for around 500-600/mo. However at this rate there is no way I'd be able to afford that.

My current debt picture:
5k savings
400 in cc debt (to be paid off next week)
41,500 student loans
6000 car loan (vehicle is worth around 15k right now, has 28k miles and warranty till 100k/mi for most components and 120k for transmission).

Not sure what I should do. I feel like all the jobs I've worked in the past were very simple in nature. Cashier, Teller, Head Teller, Assistant. It's proven very challenging to break the mold. I am in need of work generally when it comes to doing job interviews. The point of just proving I am qualified for the position to start with. I have looked at usajobs, listings in both counties here on LI and NYC (which I'm kind of avoiding due to 12+ hours of travel each week), monster.com, local college job sites, indeed.com, monster.com, snag-a-job. I see years of experience required along with certifications in x y z and just glance over it. Or I see a job and think to myself ok whoever does this will become a slave. I see people who have worked as managers in retail and they often are burned out.

Is my logic flawed? What should I do? I'm trying to follow Dave Ramsey's concepts for getting out of debt but don't think finding a job that pays 8-9/hr is worthwhile. Trying to be positive but also realistic. I really like the Richmond Va area and want to move there, but not without a FT job lined up. Been searching everyday and nothing that fits my bill in terms of pay (high 30s and up)

Update: I have posted in a few other threads here. I like LI overall, but often I question whether I want to stay. I graduated with an MBA in 2008 and haven't moved up very much since getting it.
Is my logic flawed? What should I do? I'm trying to follow Dave Ramsey's concepts for getting out of debt but don't think finding a job that pays 8-9/hr is worthwhile. Trying to be positive but also realistic. I really like the Richmond Va area and want to move there, but not without a FT job lined up. Been searching everyday and nothing that fits my bill in terms of pay (high 30s and up)

I think you aren't viscerally aware that the economy is truly in the tank right now. It's just not a good time to be job hopping and expecting big raises. I doubt if it's any consolation, but this too shall pass. I was talking to my 25 y.o. DD the other day about this same subject. I did some calculating and discovered that over my 28 year career, only 6 years accounted for (inflation adjusted) ~70% of my salary increases. The rest of the time I was basically crawling along at or just above the inflation rate.

My suggestion is to find and keep a job you like OK, live as simply as you can while times are rough, and wait for better times. Obviously you need to continuously try to position yourself for better opportunities, but be realistic. Relocating is fine, but as you said, find a job first. It just sucks out there right now, and it probably seems like if you don't make your move now you never will. But seriously, nothing stays the same. What comes around, goes around. To everything (turn turn turn) there is a season. And a bunch of other old fogey cliches. Good luck. :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom