Starting Medicare, when to cancel ACA Plan

Born2Fish

Full time employment: Posting here.
My Medicare coverage starts Aug 1, 2023. DW will remain on ACA Healthcare plan.

When do I need to remove myself from ACA coverage? Tomorrow (Aug 1st).

Is there a set date/time to do so?

The rules vary by state. Call your insurer now, if at all possible. I know that if you cancel on August 1 in DC, the insurer would bill you for 1 day in August. But in MD, the insurer would bill you for the entire month of August if you cancel on the 1st. Plus, any Premium Tax Subsidies expire the moment you're eligible for Medicare, which is midnight tonight.

Last edited:
Also be ready for them to screw it up...

I was primary and they cancelled my DW and DD when I came off... got back in touch and then they put me back on and I could not get a procedure done as it showed ACA as primary even though I had cancelled (hospital does not care what I say)...

It took me 3 months to get it all corrected...

BTW, healthcare.gov said I had to cancel the last day of the month when I called... but I was told later when trying to get it fixed that was not true... I do not know which is true...

I just got a letter on this subject today from Covered California letting me know that I must call them to cancel no earlier than 45 days and no later than 14 days before the date I want my coverage to end. I'm glad that they don't make me wait till the last minute as others have been told in their state.

Thanks everyone for the advice and sharing your experience.

I cancelled my coverage and selected a new plan for DW. Completed the process by 8PM.

I hope it is a smooth transition!! :D:D:D:D

A lot of people have reported here that they were told to call to cancel on the last day of the month that they wanted to be covered.

I don’t remember what DH did exactly or whether they told him to call back then. This was in 2020 fortunately he got through in spite of major pandemic disruptions. He made sure they had the correct effective date. Later he got a letter that was proof of coverage and that was correct in dates.

I’m pretty sure he turned off the automatic payment as soon as that last month was paid for. And I plan to do that as well.

Back
Top Bottom