Staying Retired

I have been offered two opportunities. One to do some manual repair work. I do this stuff as a volunteer, and a pro on the site liked my work and wanted to hire me occasionally. I considered but turned it down when dates and deadlines came into the discussion.

The other was at a big box store. In a rare moment, one of the workers was not too busy and we started talking. He was pretty sure I could be hired on the spot. But then he started bitching about his co-workers not showing up and the work load during covid, and how some took advantage of scheduling. So, aside from my worries about working in retail during covid, his bitching about others, and scheduling, reminded me why work sucks.

One of my friends was an air traffic controller who was on duty when the twin towers went down. He says after that happened he took a hard look around and decided to hang it up. He retired sold his home and moved south. Spent 1st year building his new home, spent next year landscaping his new home, fishing, boating, & camping. Then he got bored and one day he was in a big box store that he frequented and the manager ask him if he would be interested in a part time job. He told him he might but only in the winter. They met his terms so he took it and so now he plays from April all summer & fall until after hunting season then he works parttime in winter some times 10 hrs. others 20 to 30 hrs. but he likes to get out of house and it allows him to do that too. He said he may not do it this year because of covid concerns. I have had opportunity to do the same but I'm not finished playing yet and not bored. Maybe someday it might change.

They met his terms so he took it and so now he plays from April all summer & fall until after hunting season then he works parttime in winter some times 10 hrs. others 20 to 30 hrs. but he likes to get out of house and it allows him to do that too. He said he may not do it this year because of covid concerns. I have had opportunity to do the same but I'm not finished playing yet and not bored. Maybe someday it might change.
My big box acquaintance was trying to sell me on the job by mentioning the "get out of the house" aspect for the newly retired. This is a bit appealing to me except during COVID times. And that's why the big boxes need people. A lot of them have retirees working who bailed due to COVID.

Although making a bit of money is nice, one problem is it complicates my Roth conversion strategy. But a few hundred a week probably won't matter much.

I have a friend who works for the #1 home big box. He 90% likes it. Very flexible hours for a part time worker. However, they have times (think about Christmas tree time) where they get put into forced scheduling. He does not like that.

If you are bored, and your megacorp has cool projects now and would take you back to work remotely on them, give it a shot. Worst case, you can't stand it or hack it or both, and you lose the job and go back to being retired. You really don't need to maintain a professional reputation if you can afford to be done.

Yeah, that is what happened. I was bored stuck at home and watching lot of TV due to COVID. Mega-corp called and offered me a 9 months gig work from remotely from home. Now, mega-corp wants to extend to the end of 2021 ...

My plan was always to do seasonal tax work or maybe find some state tax projects. But after a few OMY's there is no need.

But I still want to execute "the plan" for some reason. I am seriously considering applying for a seasonal tax job. But I realize it will be un-fun having to get up early, go to an office, sit in a cube, report to a 30 year old and be the "old guy".

I get some ads and suggestions from folks for "highly visible" position with "growth opportunity" "path to partner! " and that just makes me recoil in horror.

I keep saying I'm not looking, but I listen.

When I get contacted by recruiters with interesting jobs, I tell them that unless I can (a) work less than 10 hours a week, (b) work from home, and (c) get the equivalent of $150/hr, I am not interested. So far that has kept them away... though a couple still wanted to interview me and keep my information "just in case" (HA!).

I have also decided, being in good physical health, than any job that has physical demands is not for me. I want to keep my physical health for enjoyable activities, I will not feel bad about getting hurt doing something I love :). Last holiday season a store warehouse that one of our sons picked up a seasonal job for was interested in hiring me as well part time. I thought it would be cool working along with my son so the pay rate was not an issue, but it meant walking the equivalent of 7 miles during the day and lifting and moving things up to 50 pounds. I would rather do those things on a golf course or at the gym. :)

The other was at a big box store. In a rare moment, one of the workers was not too busy and we started talking. He was pretty sure I could be hired on the spot.

I've thought about it in the distant past too. It wasn't dealing with co-workers that turned me off, it was dealing with the occasional asshat customer. Most people are fairly decent but there always one arrogant jerk who thinks the world revolves around them. I worked retail in high school/college and swore then "never again!"

I tell everyone I have a pretty nice life now... golf when I want, go to the beach, fish, but the weather getting a little cooler in NE Florida -- so I've decided to take a 2 day gig at a local golf course. Be a ranger/starter, help with carts...get free golf, driving range and hopefully some lessons. I figure I'll do this for 6 months and see if I like it.

I am not retired and doing my low-stress teaching job. The main reason that I am doing OMY is precisely that, once I fully retire, I will not work for any another job. Because I don't think there will be any real job in the world that will pay me as much and demand so little from me.

I've thought about it in the distant past too. It wasn't dealing with co-workers that turned me off, it was dealing with the occasional asshat customer. Most people are fairly decent but there always one arrogant jerk who thinks the world revolves around them. I worked retail in high school/college and swore then "never again!"

Oh man, I keep forgetting about this! My retail experience has been limited. But, yeah, in retail you get it from both sides: management and customers. I tend to idealize the experience of *helping* customers. Well, some don't want help, they want to fight. Hey, and some retail workers want to fight too!

On our local neighborhood site, this just came up. It is the story from the customer side, but who knows what really happened? Just goes to show retail can be hell.
Avoid the store [name redacted] at all costs .... The clerk told my husband he would meet him outside insinuating he wanted to fight him. ... etc.

One of my friends was an air traffic controller who was on duty when the twin towers went down. He says after that happened he took a hard look around and decided to hang it up. He retired sold his home and moved south. Spent 1st year building his new home, spent next year landscaping his new home, fishing, boating, & camping. Then he got bored and one day he was in a big box store that he frequented and the manager ask him if he would be interested in a part time job. He told him he might but only in the winter. They met his terms so he took it and so now he plays from April all summer & fall until after hunting season then he works parttime in winter some times 10 hrs. others 20 to 30 hrs. but he likes to get out of house and it allows him to do that too. He said he may not do it this year because of covid concerns. I have had opportunity to do the same but I'm not finished playing yet and not bored. Maybe someday it might change.

I was kind of in that same position as your friend. I spent the first year of retirement finishing out my big detached garage, settling into the house and yard work. The second year (April through Nov) I decided to work 2 full days/week at a local auto parts store. For me it was mostly for getting out of the house and some interaction. This store serves mainly commercial customers and my main job was delivery driver around town. It was mindless, no stress, and of some interest to me with my old cars hobby. In fact I basically worked my way through college by working at auto parts store, so was pretty familiar with what I was getting into. I quit when DW and I decided to go south for winter with our motorhome. When we got back this year, everything had just shut down. So never went back to working this year. I don't think I will work in future either. My fear was being home all the time my old car hobby would start to feel like work if I was doing it too much. But that hasn't happened this year, there is plenty of variety of yard and house projects to keep busy between garage time.

So I understand the thought to work as something to do, even if you don't need the money. It can serve as a social outlet, a sense of structure, be something interesting for you, or just a change of scenery from staying home. I have a friend who is early retired and works at big home improvement store Mon-Fri mornings. He calls it his informal workout routine. Same for him, it is not work required for the money.

If you go back to w*rk, then one year from now your doc gives you bad news, would you have regret regarding missed quality time with your new grandchild and generally enjoying the retirement you previously earned?
That's how I stay retired, and remaining thankful for the time I'm able to spend with my grandkids and enjoying life in general.

The need to provide value/feel productive is more than fulfilled by helping relatives maintain/update their homes.

I struggled with the same thing for a couple of years right after retiring. The "I could do that" is an old habit. I spent my entire adult life ensuring that I was an excellent candidate for lots of different types of jobs, so that I would never find myself unemployed for long if something happened (probably a result of being laid off from my first job along with 40% of the company - a complete surprise to all of us).

Anyway, I caught myself having these thoughts during the first couple of years of ER and consciously worked at extinguishing those thoughts. It took time to get it to stop, and it still tears it’s ugly head every once in a while. Now I love my retired life so much that it is easy to say "are you nuts?" to myself when it happens :)

I found a job a few years ago that I could go back to work for. Documenting, photographing, gps locations of plants and animals in the Grand Canyon. For the Bureau of Land Management.

I found a job a few years ago that I could go back to work for. Documenting, photographing, gps locations of plants and animals in the Grand Canyon. For the Bureau of Land Management.

+1

I know a colleague who does similar work: doing raptor counts in remote areas. Other friends do flora and fauna sampling -- again in remote but geologically gorgeous areas -- for various state agencies. Most of that work is unpaid.

Many days, and certainly days like today, the concept of spending days in the wilderness -- away from people and society -- observing and thereafter documenting birds of prey or alpine flowers has significant appeal.

I'm a dentist- sold my practice 2.5 years ago at the age of 54. I continued to help the new owner for 1.5 years, working as little as 1/2 a day a week at the end of my tenure there. I then decided to just volunteer at a charity clinic 2 half days a week. COVID put an end to that, and I was just hunkering down at home like everyone else.

In June out of the blue a friend of mine contacted me to see if I'd be interested in helping him in his office. His practice was struggling and he was desperate. I told him I'd be willing to give him 1.5 days a week, but I wouldn't be willing to work a packed schedule and would want to be able to take time off whenever I wanted to. He said yes, and lets me do whatever I want however I want. Plus this office is only 5 minuted form my house.

I actually enjoy continuing to practice dentistry on a part time basis. I get to use my skills to help people, and spend the day hanging out with a fun staff. Plus my wife is happy to get me out of the house a bit.

Right now with COVID having put traveling on hold, this is a perfect situation for me.

I'm a dentist- sold my practice 2.5 years ago at the age of 54. I continued to help the new owner for 1.5 years, working as little as 1/2 a day a week at the end of my tenure there. I then decided to just volunteer at a charity clinic 2 half days a week. COVID put an end to that, and I was just hunkering down at home like everyone else.

In June out of the blue a friend of mine contacted me to see if I'd be interested in helping him in his office. His practice was struggling and he was desperate. I told him I'd be willing to give him 1.5 days a week, but I wouldn't be willing to work a packed schedule and would want to be able to take time off whenever I wanted to. He said yes, and lets me do whatever I want however I want. Plus this office is only 5 minuted form my house.

I actually enjoy continuing to practice dentistry on a part time basis. I get to use my skills to help people, and spend the day hanging out with a fun staff. Plus my wife is happy to get me out of the house a bit.

Right now with COVID having put traveling on hold, this is a perfect situation for me.

A couple of years ago, I asked my dentist when he planned to retire. He was 71 at the time. He said he had NO plans to retire. Wow!

I still get the little card in the mail telling me it's time for my check up (though I won't be able to see him on the mainland until next summer - Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.)

Congrats on your Early Retirement - Enjoy your "hobby" now!:greetings10:

I applied to be an Oscar Meyer Hotdogger this year. Wrote the best cover letter ever but never heard back. I think I'd enjoy driving the Weinermobile and meeting the kids and Grandmothers.
They never responded. Maybe I'll find an age discrimination lawyer.

The medical group I left in the summer is shorthanded so I agreed to go back a couple of days a week until they can bring in a new physician. Travel is a mess right now and getting out of the house may be welcome as the weather cools.

I applied to be an Oscar Meyer Hotdogger this year. Wrote the best cover letter ever but never heard back. I think I'd enjoy driving the Weinermobile and meeting the kids and Grandmothers.
They never responded. Maybe I'll find an age discrimination lawyer.

Ha ha. The last little TV promo piece I saw mentioned very specifically that they try to get young people to be Hotdoggers. So you may have a case!

The medical group I left in the summer is shorthanded so I agreed to go back a couple of days a week until they can bring in a new physician. Travel is a mess right now and getting out of the house may be welcome as the weather cools.

So you may need to modify your username? :D

I applied to be an Oscar Meyer Hotdogger this year.

Your idea intrigues me. I'm picturing me & DW blasting down the highway in a giant sausage, horn honking and everyone pointing & smiling.

Their website says "We need outgoing, creative, friendly, enthusiastic, graduating college seniors..."

That sounds like age discrimination to me, too!

BrianB

Your idea intrigues me. I'm picturing me & DW blasting down the highway in a giant sausage, horn honking and everyone pointing & smiling.

Their website says "We need outgoing, creative, friendly, enthusiastic, graduating college seniors..."

That sounds like age discrimination to me, too!

BrianB

I'm betting introverts need not apply either. Bummer - sounds like a fun j*b though YMMV.

Admirable of you to do that. Several of the inhabitants of my building are retired physicians. (We are a short bus ride from a major teaching and research hospital complex.) They have all gone back to work this year, at risk to their own health of course. I am amazed. I salute them when I see them in the lobby.

Back
Top Bottom