Stimulus checks?

Is this a scam? I received the following email today. It says I qualify for the stimulus check. I made too much last year and know that I don't qualify. Anyway, I wonder if anyone else received this email. I tried following the link but the web site wouldn't come up, but I'm suspicious that someone is fishing for SSN's and bank account numbers.

Internal Revenue Service‏From:Internal Revenue Service (service@IRS.Inc.gov)Sent:Mon 5/05/08 5:36 PMReply-to:service@IRS.Inc.govTo:
irslogo.gif

Over 130 million Americans will receive refunds as
part of President Bush program to jumpstart the economy.

Our records indicate that you are qualified to receive the
2008 Economic Stimulus Refund.

The fastest and easiest way to receive your refund is by
direct deposit to your checking/savings account.

Please follow the link and fill out the form and submit
before May 10th, 2008 to ensure that your refund will be
processed as soon as possible.

Submitting your form on May 10th, 2008 or later means that
your refund will be delayed due to the volume of requests we
anticipate for the Economic Stimulus Refund.

To access Economic Stimulus Refund, please click here.

© Copyright 2008, Internal Revenue Service U.S.A. All rights reserved.

Putrid smell of a phishing scam.

IRS.Inc.gov.... um, no? Same with the funny URL in the link.

-CC

Yes..... like the 4- 6 other phishing emails that hit my inbox daily, this is a scam. Yawn........ :yawn:

Stay away definitely a scam. Other that the check or the direct deposit there has been only ONE LETTER sent out by the IRS in this subject to my knowledge.

Is this a scam?

The simple rule is, if you have to ask - it is. And this is.

A tip: Turn off any 'preview' modes in your email, disable images, and don't hit the 'load images' button until you are certain that the email is not a scam.

Those graphics in the emails often are not directly embedded, but are actually linked back to a web site. If you have previews and/or 'load images' enabled, the email automatically goes out and loads those images off the web. The sender of the email can tell that your address connected to their site, and now they have proof that you are a valid address, and that you open your emails. That will attract more SPAM.

-ERD50

I filled out the form with bogus information. After asking for CC # and your CCV and your pin, it re-directs to irs.gov. I tried to submit again and it attempts to open an infinite # of pop-up windows: "**** Off Punk".

scam - the IRS always sends stuff by mail, they probably dont have you're email address, and like others said the url, and whats with the IRS copyright?

Received a SECOND (about the Stimulus) letter via Snail Mail from IRS yesterday (5/6/2008 telling me my direct deposit for $1,200 was sent and should have been in the bank account on 5/2/2008 (actually arrived on 4/29/2008 and if I had any question I should CALL.

Anyone get their stimulus check yet?

Mine was direct deposited in my bank account yesterday (5-6). I'm gonna use it to help pay my CC bill this month. So it's either going toward the siding for my workshop, or toward my trips to 4 greenhouses/nurseries this week....in either case, the $600 isn't paying the full amount of either one. (Siding = $982.....purchases of plants & shrubs = $700+)

Mine was direct deposited in my bank account yesterday (5-6). I'm gonna use it to help pay my CC bill this month. So it's either going toward the siding for my workshop, or toward my trips to 4 greenhouses/nurseries this week....in either case, the $600 isn't paying the full amount of either one. (Siding = $982.....purchases of plants & shrubs = $700+)
That's great, Goonie. I haven't seen mine yet, and probably won't until the 16th according to the IRS projected dates. I plan to blow it, though I'm not sure on what. Either that, or upload it to Vanguard if I don't find anything I want to spend it on.

That's a LOT of plants and shrubs!!! Your place is going to look great. Sounds like a lot of work, though.

Just checked the bank account. According to the balance, I just got stimulated. Woo Hoo!

Deleted

Last edited:
No stimulus check here....I already had it spent but just found out that pension income doesn't qualify unless you worked for the railroad or military. I should have known - I blame Bush!!!

Peace

don't know

Some things I've read say I will get a check, others say not. I won't hold my breath.

Still working and the IRS says I am not eligible due to my over-achiever stressed-out fool status. I wish I was retired and making less...seriously, that would be sweet. One more year and I will (hopefully) have enough to compete for a rebate. :p

According to the payment schedule, I should have received my deposit by Friday, but I haven't.

Is anyone else waiting on a late deposit?

Back
Top Bottom