Stores closing at record pace

The merchandisers are going to have to figure out a new scheme. I'm sure they have been trying. for instance, I have used the the order on line from home and pick up at the store with no shipping cost multiple times. At an outdoor gear store in my area they have stock on the shelves, but they also have these very very large computer monitors mounted on the store pillars that allow you to look at other colors and sizes on-line, right in the store, and order from there after looking at the in-store stock.

I've tried the order on-line and pickup at store with Lowe's and they don't quite have it down yet. I was tiling a floor and neither Store A nor Store B (Each within 10 miles of me) had enough of the tiles I wanted so I had to place two separate orders and do pickups at both stores. A couple of times I've gotten there and the order wasn't out and they had to call someone in the stock area. One guy who eventually hustled out with my order said, "I couldn't remember whether you wanted white or sand-colored grout and I brought white out". Umm, I git an e-mail 6 hrs ago that my order was ready to pick up and you just assembled it after I showed up? Please explain how this saves my time.

DW and I are talking to DD right now. She's telling us about how she went to the mall because Stride Rite is closing, and she bought 7 pairs of baby shoes (various sizes) for under $100. Pretty good, but bad news that another classic is going down. I don't know if they'll continue as an online company, but I assume so.

I buy 99% of things online . I have a few clothing stores that are my favorite and I know what size I wear in their brand and what looks good . For my grandsons I just buy at Lands end since it can be returned to Sears .I also buy shoes , gym wear , toys ,clothes for the SO and assorted home stuff . I needed a new washing machine and I went online and ordered it . I had never seen the machine but I am very happy with it .I used to love to go to malls and check out the merchandise .I have not been to a Mall in months.I am going to Chico's on Monday because my size in their clothes has changed so I need to try on pants.

Have not ever bought a large appliance on line. How does delivery and set up work with that? I assume you are on your own there. That would be a problem with my arthritis, dragging the washer into the basement, for example. Perhaps, hire a handyman for that? My last large appliance purchase was a washer seven years ago, from Sears, which I suppose will soon no longer be an option. Just waiting for my quite old major appliances to die (most all of them are well into double digits age wise). I do expect home depot and Lowe's will still be around a while, or then again maybe not.

I've resisted getting groceries online. Don't like the Amazon Pantry setup.

And can they be trusted to do a good job of picking produce?

Also found that Amazon pricing for household goods like toothpaste or detergeant isn't that great. If the price is low, it's either a subscription only or add on item. If you're wanting one bottle of shampoo. You can often find it cheaper at Target. Only if you buy like 4 or more bottles, the per-bottle price may be a little bit better.

Have not ever bought a large appliance on line. How does delivery and set up work with that? I assume you are on your own there. That would be a problem with my arthritis, dragging the washer into the basement, for example. Perhaps, hire a handyman for that? My last large appliance purchase was a washer seven years ago, from Sears, which I suppose will soon no longer be an option. Just waiting for my quite old major appliances to die (most all of them are well into double digits age wise). I do expect home depot and Lowe's will still be around a while, or then again maybe not.
It depends on who you buy it from Lowes and Home Depot have larger inventories on line than in their stores so since I wanted a 21 cu ft side by side to fit the space available, I went to their store and the salesperson ordered it online (I watched) then just paid at the front. On the appointed day Lowes showed up and delivered the new fridge and hauled the 1986 unit away. (I suspect it works that way at Best Buy also) Lowes only had the 26 cubic foot models on in stock locally.

Same here. We recently bought a new dishwasher from Lowes. There was a delay to get it in stock, so the installation wasn't as fast as we'd hoped. But on the assigned day it showed up and an hour later they were gone and it was in place and working. No big deal. Just read the information and the reviews. I must admit, it is nice to be able to go into a store and look at the model you want. Video and screenshots don't give you an accurate feel for the looks of an item. Hopefully that will get better over time.

Same here. We recently bought a new dishwasher from Lowes. There was a delay to get it in stock, so the installation wasn't as fast as we'd hoped. But on the assigned day it showed up and an hour later they were gone and it was in place and working. No big deal. Just read the information and the reviews. I must admit, it is nice to be able to go into a store and look at the model you want. Video and screenshots don't give you an accurate feel for the looks of an item. Hopefully that will get better over time.

We purchased all of our appliances from lowes a few years ago. we researched them in person at the store, and at other stores, then ordered them online for store delivery so we could get the exact model we wanted.

I was just thinking about this the other day, while "deconstructing" cardboard shipping boxes that were piling up in the garage...

Once we are all good and hooked on online shopping and the B&M stores are gone, watch "free shipping" disappear. Shipping will go through the roof and next thing you know, B&M stores will be back because it's cheaper to go to the store!

I did the same thing today.

I bought brand new appliances for one of my rentals online with no problem. On the date of delivery, somebody has to be there. It was from Lowes.

So the point is there is still (for now) a big box store connection, not just a FedEx or UPS guy who dumps and scoots. That is really what my question was. I actually did some online research before calling local Sears store (did not go to the store itself) to order and have delivered and installed that washer 7 yrs ago. So, other than store used, I did the same thing you have all described.

I bought my Samsung TV from Amazon. Honestly I could have purchased it from Costco, but physically my husband and I would have to deal with transporting it home. So Amazon delivered and installed for us otherwise we couldn't. It's too big and too heavy.

So i live in new york city, not the 5th Avenue part, but a nice area, i go to macys and they are playing music on each floor with a live dj , it is so loud the bass in going thru my body i have to yell at the bride so she can hear me, mind you its not my type of music, i think it was rap. the workers were all gathering around the dj dancing, we wasted about 25 minutes and i said to the bride i have a headache lets go. we went home , she shopped on line in the quiet of our home, i sent an email to macy corporate telling them this is why you are closing stores.
Yeah, I went to my last NBA game a couple of years ago. They had a DJ in the balcony screaming and playing loud rap during time outs. Not my idea of a game type atmosphere. (And to think i used to complain about the organ playing at MLB games...)

I'm still leary about buying clothing online. I have a weird body shape so it's hard to know what will fit without trying it on. Not to mention there's usually too much variation in clothing sizes just to go by the size. I tried on six pairs of jeans today, all the same size, before I found one that fit.

Groceries are still best locally, though ironically many grocery stores have gone out of business. We basically have one option unless we want to buy prepackaged stuff at Walmart or spend a fortune at Whole Foods.
Best to find a brand you like that you know fits and buy those items from a store with free returns online.

So the point is there is still (for now) a big box store connection, not just a FedEx or UPS guy who dumps and scoots. That is really what my question was. I actually did some online research before calling local Sears store (did not go to the store itself) to order and have delivered and installed that washer 7 yrs ago. So, other than store used, I did the same thing you have all described.
Right - to me the examples given aren't quite the same as ordering an appliance online, because they went through a local brick and mortar store with delivery and installation services. And if the unit had been in stock locally, the ordering part of the process would have been unnecessary - just like most retail brick and mortar stores operate.

I do have a large appliance story: When I ordered a fancy wine cellar online out of NY I think - that particular unit actually had to be shipped from France - it came with a "white glove" delivery service. I have no idea how far they drove to deliver the unit - it must have been drop-shipped to somewhere in TX, but they uncrated it, installed it, made sure it was working, took all the shipping materials back with them. Amazing!

This is nothing new. Creative destruction in the retail sector has always been around, and I think the real culprit is as much Walmart as it is Amazon. Thousands of stores have been closed over the past couple of decades. The real story is why it has taken so long. Sears and Kmart have been on life support for years, dragging out their inevitable outcome and losing even more money in the process. Too much easy money for business.

Also found that Amazon pricing for household goods like toothpaste or detergeant isn't that great. If the price is low, it's either a subscription only or add on item. If you're wanting one bottle of shampoo. You can often find it cheaper at Target. Only if you buy like 4 or more bottles, the per-bottle price may be a little bit better.

I think this is as it should be. If you want one bottle of shampoo, you should either (1) pay the real cost of shipping that one item, or (2) toss it in with a larger order. Shipping multiple items in one box is always going to be cheaper than shipping multiple smaller boxes.

This is Amazon's way of keeping shipping "free", without penalizing the person whose order actually costs less to ship.

It's no different from a B&M store offering quantity discounts, or a lower price for a larger package. Note that B&M stores don't (usually) charge you a fee for shipping, receiving, storing and stocking the products on the shelves. That cost is very real, but it's embedded in the price. Just like Amazon's shipping costs.

Once we are all good and hooked on online shopping and the B&M stores are gone, watch "free shipping" disappear. Shipping will go through the roof and next thing you know, B&M stores will be back because it's cheaper to go to the store!

I'm not so sure. Amazon was very disruptive to the shipping industry. Remember "Add $19.99 for delivery" and "Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery"?

Remember when catalog and (later) on-line merchants always tacked on the "retail" shipping costs, while they actually paid far less to UPS and FedEx?

I don't think consumers would go back to those days.

Then again, never underestimate the stupidity of American consumers. I also remember when cable TV advertised $10 a month for all local channels, PLUS cable-only commercial-free channels. That sure has changed.

Last edited:

The FedEx or UPS guy who delivers your small Amazon box is not going to deliver a large appliance. A freight shipper will do so. Presumably they will bring it in and connect it, probably for an extra fee, or it's built in to the online price. It's definitely something I'd make sure of before ordering, but no online appliance dealer will ever make it by having shipments dropped at your porch with no other option.

Part of this is rightsizing. If you read this Bloomberg article and others on the topic, analysts and CEOs admit they overbuilt and added too many stores to malls. Near where I live there is large outdoor mall with multiple good sit down restaurants, it's about 10 years old and doing well. Since then two neighboring towns built smaller outdoor malls all within a 15 mile radius of one another and they are struggling, can't even keep restaurants open let alone stores.

I've resisted getting groceries online. Don't like the Amazon Pantry setup.

And can they be trusted to do a good job of picking produce?

I buy household goods on Amazon if it's a good deal. The multiple items prices are often great, and if it's something I use all the time, it makes sense, even if I only order once a year. Add-ons are fine too, as I usually have other orders.

I buy quite a bit of food from Amazon. These are non-perishable items. Again - if the prices make sense. And they often do, or I wait for a good deal.

Of course I buy a lot from local supermarkets and Costco.

Best to find a brand you like that you know fits and buy those items from a store with free returns online.

That is how I buy clothes on line . I have been wearing JJill clothes for years . I know my size and what styles I like . I swim a lot so I buy my bathing suits from Lands end . I like Born shoes so I just search for a good sale .

It's a tough retail market out there and recently some businesses have decided to make it even harder for themselves by making political statements that insult half of their customers.

I live near a major shopping mall and lots of big box stores so it is pretty easy to go over there during off-peak hours (I am ERed, you know) and get what I need in person. The only things I buy on line are those I can't find locally or can buy for a much lower price on line (such as my diabetes blood testing equipment). Often, I will buy something on line but go to the local store to pick it up at my leisure. Those stores such as Walmart have separate, less crowded pick-up areas for times bought this way so I can avoid the crowds (not in the parking lots, though).

Back in my working days, when I had less time to run to stores during busy hours, I would buy more on line or through the mail, but only for things I felt I did not need to see and inspect in person before buying them.

Back
Top Bottom