Streaming Package for Football and College Basketball

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This would be from beginning of September to early April - end of March Madness.
  • Hulu + Live TV is $70 a month and it includes ESPN+
  • YouTube TV is $73 a month. ESPN+ is another $5 so $78
  • Sling would be $55 per month for Blue and Orange plus $15 for the Sports package plus $5 for ESPN+ = $75.
  • Spectrum which is the cable provider is $88 including Local Broadcast fee. ESPN is another $5. So $93.

ESPN+ is critical to me for those out of market games.

Some have DVR and some throw in Disney +. Hulu has 90 + stations. Spectrum has 125 + stations. YouTube TV has 132 + stations. Sling has about half that much. I don't watch very many stations so more is not necessarily better.

The first 3 above (Hulu, YouTube TV and Sling) are close in price so I am going to look at other factors. Any body have anything that would sway a Football/College Hoops fan?

Fubo TV may be an option. Still looking into it. The Pro option is $75 but does not include ESPN U or ESPN News. And ESPN + is another $5. The Elite option is $85 but still does not have ESPN + so the total would be $90.

Last edited:
Big college FB/BB fan here also! Because of that, I have been unable to pry myself away from Dish for 20 years. The reasons: a lot easier (faster) to flick back and forth between multiple games on satellite as opposed to streaming. Dish has B10, SEC, ACC, and PAC12 channels as well as the other usuals (Fox1, 2, EspnU, etc). I pay $94.50/mo for two HD setups and one SD.

Last edited:
Big college FB/BB fan here also! Because of that, I have been unable to pry myself away from Dish for 20 years. The reasons: a lot easier (faster) to flick back and forth between multiple games on satellite as opposed to streaming. Dish has B10, SEC, ACC, and PAC12 channels as well as the other usuals (Fox1, 2, EspnU, etc). I pay $94.50/mo for two HD setups and one SD.

The ease of flicking between channels depends on the setup. I stream YTTV through a Firestick; I can simply speak into my remote and say “tune to ESPN” / “tune to ACC” / whatever.

I know youtube has Big10 (I assume the others, but don't know). For Dish, are you also paying rental fees and various taxes? $94.50 seems really low to me.

$94.50 includes one rental ($7) and is the total price charged each month. I'm one of those guys that calls them up and threatens to leave and they lower my package price for me (new, 2-year agreement at the lower price). I just checked: I have America's Top 120+, local channels, and one rental. I get $20 off per month for Preferred Customer and $5 off for auto-pay.

Last edited:
$94.50 includes one rental ($7) and is the total price charged each month. I'm one of those guys that calls them up and threatens to leave and they lower my package price for me (new, 2-year agreement at the lower price). I just checked: I have America's Top 120+, local channels, and one rental. I get $20 off per month for Preferred Customer and $5 off for auto-pay.

That's pretty good. I just checked and I was paying $133 (2 tvs and no premium) when I finally switched from Dish to youtubeTV.

The ease of flicking between channels depends on the setup. I stream YTTV through a Firestick; I can simply speak into my remote and say “tune to ESPN” / “tune to ACC” / whatever.

That's a good idea, I'll have to try that this year. Though I always liked using the Last or Recall button to flip between two games because I don't even have to remember which network they are on.

That and the ability to pause a game and still have a clear picture, and be able to advance in slow motion (1/16th speed) are the only things I really miss about Dish. With YTTV the screen turns dark on pause, and they is no way I've seen to replay at a slower speed. Do any of the other streaming services have this?

This would be from beginning of September to early April - end of March Madness.
  • Hulu + Live TV is $70 a month and it includes ESPN+
  • YouTube TV is $73 a month. ESPN+ is another $5 so $78
  • Sling would be $55 per month for Blue and Orange plus $15 for the Sports package plus $5 for ESPN+ = $75.
  • Spectrum which is the cable provider is $88 including Local Broadcast fee. ESPN is another $5. So $93.
ESPN+ is critical to me for those out of market games.
ESPN+ is $9.99/month. https://plus.espn.com/college

Sling does not include local broadcast channels in most areas. You may need an antenna.

In my area, the Spectrum promo rate is $60 for Select TV + $24 local broadcast fee (includes $2 increase next month) + $6 Sports View + $11 (one) set-top box + $5 DVR (on 1 box) + $14 taxes/fees = $120. This does not include ESPNU which is in the $12 Entertainment View add-on.

Use https://www.suppose.tv to make sure any service you use actually has all the networks important to you. A couple years ago YTTV was best with that. Have others caught up?

I also have a setup in my lower level with 4 TVs, so I also look for how many streams are allowed. I think YTTV allows 3 but with the 4K upgrade you get unlimited. That may or may not be important to you. You don't actually need multiple TV since you can stream on laptops and tablets, even a phone.

You also have voice control with all Roku’s starting at $39.99 and above. There are dozens if not hundreds of commands. Just another option.

Last edited:
ESPN+ is $9.99/month. https://plus.espn.com/college

Sling does not include local broadcast channels in most areas. You may need an antenna.

In my area, the Spectrum promo rate is $60 for Select TV + $24 local broadcast fee (includes $2 increase next month) + $6 Sports View + $11 (one) set-top box + $5 DVR (on 1 box) + $14 taxes/fees = $120. This does not include ESPNU which is in the $12 Entertainment View add-on.

One of the streaming services had it as an add on for $4.99 or maybe I am just remembering last year's price. Anyhow, thanks for catching that.

I have a Tablo (OTA DVR) and two antennae pointed at Greensboro and Charlotte. So, I am not too concerned about Sling not carrying local stations.

Ah, Spectrum. I can get Select TV as a streaming only - no box. But you are right in that I need an extra package to get ESPNU. I can't look at those options until I agree to purchase. But I may need Sports View and ESPN+. So, yes, Spectrum looks like more than $110 per month for me.

That's why I am going through this exercise. So you folks can find these items. Thanks.

I was assuming you would rather subscribe Sept thru Apr only. I thought Spectrum required a 1-2 year contract, and bundled with their internet - which would make the (yearly) premium even more over Hulu, YouTubeTV or Sling? We’ve been streaming only for over 5 years now (PSV then Hulu+Live), no downside whatsoever for us, and we’ve saved $ thousands over cable/satellite.

Last edited:
I was assuming you would rather subscribe Sept thru Apr only. I thought Spectrum required a 1-2 year contract, and bundled with their internet - which would make the (yearly) premium even more over Hulu, YouTubeTV or Sling? We’ve been streaming only for over 5 years now, no downside whatsoever for us, and we’ve saved $ thousands over cable/satellite.

I will check that out. Last year, I added Spectrum TV to my internet and land-line service that I had with them. At the beginning, TV added $55 to my bill. In the 7th and final month, the extra charges were an extra $71 per month. At that time, I could cancel anytime. I will make sure that I don't lock myself into a 12 month contract. BTW, now, a few months later it would cost me more than $100 per month? Thanks.

It looks like Sling does not have the CBS Sports network, if that matters to you. I think they may, or at least used to carry some lower tier Big Ten games, so I want it. The current slate so far is not compelling to me. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-slate-features-mountain-west-conference-usa/ But they used to scoop up the games the major networks didn't want so they'd actually show a lot more games than this. Maybe that's in the past.

Agree with Philliefan. Just moved to a new house ( 8 TV's) and cut the cable box. I now use YTTV via the fire stick but get the 4K plus stick. On sale at Amazon and cost about $10 more per stick. I agree I just say SEC sports and I am in!

Back
Top Bottom