Struggling with "Blow That Dough" Mentality

I worked for a short while for a semi-retired independent CFP. He - let's call him Phil - was a character, but he loved working with his clients and helping them in all kinds of ways. It was eye-opening to see how an ethical adviser really can make a difference for people.

I've always remembered one of the things Phil said - "Half of my clients I have to stop them from spending too much money, and the other half I have to encourage them to spend their money to make their lives easier!"

We saw a very poignant example of the latter in one elderly couple who had been clients for over 40 yrs. They were delightful people but getting on in years, and were childless with no family except a few distant relatives on the opposite Coast.

The husband - a big (like 6'4") husky (around 260 lbs) ex-Marine - suffered an accident and had to have surgery. He would be released in a week to go home, but would need considerable caretaking for the next couple of months.

The couple decided once he was home, she would take care of him. We're talking helping him get out of bed and get to the bathroom and back again, plus getting dressed and shaved, eventually going downstairs and eating, etc.

Only trouble was, she was about 5'5" and maybe weighed 110 lbs. soaking wet and if she was holding a few barbells.

It took Phil two separate talks to convince them that yes, they had the money to hire professional caretakers and that it simply was not practical or safe for them to be still trying to be economical in their mid-80's!

Afterwards the couple thanked him and admitted they couldn't have gotten through the convalescence alone, as they had originally planned.

As he told them, "This is what you saved all that money for! To help you have a comfortable old age!"

So.....yup, I'm in favor of your buying that boat, too!

Last edited:
Buy it. Once you have it, you will be glad you did. A person close to me (grew up during the depression) died with a huge portfolio. Nice for his heirs, but no benefit to him.

Bottom line.... did you save your money to enjoy your retirement years or to hoard it for the benefit of your heirs. Easy decision IMO.

I live on a lake. I have an older, yet serviceable runabout. As I age, and as my cronies age, we are finding it harder and harder to get into and out of the thing. Also the seating is not as comfortable on our backs as it once was, especially for me, the pilot.

So, I want to buy a pontoon "party boat", aka "floatboat". Not an old beat up one with a crappy motor, but a nice new one with a nice new motor. I am looking at one that fits my needs. I can pay cash. I could literally buy 20 of them without diminishing my "nut" to the point that I'd have to go to a 4% WR to live the way I live. Yet, I struggle internally with the idea of spending that much money on a toy.

I thought I was over this, but I'm not. I'm going to do it, I just wish I felt more joy about it, rather than something more akin to guilt, or dread.

I remember my dad, the consummate depression baby, remarking to me that while he furnished his Florida retirement condo, he felt terrible guilt, expressing to me that his mom must be "rolling over in her grave" with all of the money he'd been spending. I tried to soothe him by suggesting that his mom might be happy to see him enjoying the fruits of his success.

Now I tell myself the same thing, but I'm not sure it's working. It's not so easy to change one's stripes, after all, is it?

Is it possible to lease one?

I have a verbal agreement to buy the boat. Also a verbal agreement to sell the old boat. Waiting on parts to convert my boat lift (hoist) from deepV hull to accommodate the pontoon boat. I should be blowing that dough before Labor Day.

Congrats on getting the new boat. We just bought a new tritoon a few weeks ago. It was my first brand new boat & I struggled with the idea of spending more on a boat than my car cost, as I shopped I realized that was just how it is. I did a lot of shopping & research, and ended up saving $6,000 by buying it from a dealer a few states away.

I just finished converting out lift from a V-hull to fit the 3 tubes. Hydrohoist wanted $2,000 just for the parts! :facepalm: I decided to DIY and spent about $200 on lumber & hardware at Lowes. It took a little head-scratching and a couple afternoons, but I got her up on the lift yesterday.

We,ve been loving the boat. It really smooths out the choppy water. Great for cocktails & dancing (we have a college girl) and our dogs love it too. I'm 55 & figure this boat could easily be the last one we need to buy. Everybody's happy, so it was a "good" purchase. ;)

If I was younger a cigarette would be nice, but now at my age, a pontoon makes a lot more sense. Congrats, enjoy your new boat!

+1 and I frequently flew first class and business class when I was working but each time I book travel the value proposition isn't there for me to spend the extra moola to fly first.
Here's an option. Instead of buying 2 seats, buy 3. Say you get a great deal to Europe (have to be able to pick your seats). You can secure window/isle/isle and have more room to stretch out on the extra seat plus bring 3 carry ons.

^^^ Interesting idea... but if no one checks in for the center seat so there is no body in it the airline might fill it anyway... and the gate attendant might balk at two ticketed passengers with three boarding passes and three carryons.

I'm skeptical that the gate attendant would accept three boarding passes from two passengers.

Have you actually done this?

^^^ Interesting idea... but if no one checks in for the center seat so there is no body in it the airline might fill it anyway... and the gate attendant might balk at two ticketed passengers with three boarding passes and three carryons.

I'm skeptical that the gate attendant would accept three boarding passes from two passengers.

No, but my dermatologist has. He can afford business or first class but says he doesn't need the electronics or champagne. He just need extra room to stretch out. It was his idea and I thought great idea! I didn't think of the specifics you mentioned so I didn't ask him. But I might get some botox for this wrinkle that has bugged me for years. I can get back to you on that.

Blow the Dough

Well, my grandma was born in 1925 before the Great Depression she lived to be just shy of 94 told Me to enjoy while a I can told story of a neighbor saved and saved to buy an RV saved some more got ill health (stroke) bought the RV but could not drive - just sat in it in his yard- Go for it while I can on a list for the new C8 only bought 2 new cars in 35yrs this will be #3

BUY the boat and enjoy it! Money has no value in and of itself - my stocks have tanked but I’m not phased to not enjoy the fruits of all that labor...lol

Er’d at 51 just turned 53 - 20yr spending plan after 30yrs of saving. Break Free
Live Large Fly first class BUY boat Millionare Next Door- Riches Man in Babylon
Die Broke - pass on Assets properties etc. Spend the cash...

I'm sure a letter from your psychiatrist about needing your imaginary service animal would help. :cool:

I don't know why there would be a problem. Don't they encourage large people to buy 2 seats?

Dunno... I've never done that before.

I do remember the CEO of my former employer telling a story of flying with a woman next to him who could not put on the seat belt with the belt fully extended AND a seat belt extender (sort of like a coupling I guess).

Last edited:
Yes, I have seen those things and I wish I hadn't. And 2 coach tickets would still be cheaper than 1 first class

We're headed out to the 'toon in our backyard right now.

Do you like to fish?? I added a trolling motor to the front of ours. Felt a little ridiculous/guilty about it for awhile, but I use and enjoy the boat -much- more with it.

Sounds like you will use and enjoy a toon a lot more than your older speedboat. Have fun.

We're headed out to the 'toon in our backyard right now.

Do you like to fish?? I added a trolling motor to the front of ours. Felt a little ridiculous/guilty about it for awhile, but I use and enjoy the boat -much- more with it.

Sounds like you will use and enjoy a toon a lot more than your older speedboat. Have fun.

i fish, but I have a dedicated fishing boat. A brand new 1988 Crestliner. We don't worry about dropping slimy, bleeding fish in that boat. It's a great boat. I love that boat.

Well, my grandma was born in 1925 before the Great Depression she lived to be just shy of 94 told Me to enjoy while a I can told story of a neighbor saved and saved to buy an RV saved some more got ill health (stroke) bought the RV but could not drive - just sat in it in his yard- Go for it while I can on a list for the new C8 only bought 2 new cars in 35yrs this will be #3

BUY the boat and enjoy it! Money has no value in and of itself - my stocks have tanked but I’m not phased to not enjoy the fruits of all that labor...lol

Er’d at 51 just turned 53 - 20yr spending plan after 30yrs of saving. Break Free
Live Large Fly first class BUY boat Millionare Next Door- Riches Man in Babylon
Die Broke - pass on Assets properties etc. Spend the cash...

a friend of mine's old Italian poppy once told him, as he was buying some candy for his wife, "Don't worry about dying. Dying will take care of itself. Worry about living. Try to have some fun."

Reactions: W2R
a friend of mine's old Italian poppy once told him, as he was buying some candy for his wife, "Don't worry about dying. Dying will take care of itself. Worry about living. Try to have some fun."
Sweet! That's my philosophy. And fun doesn't mean blowing a bunch of dough. Many fun things are free. Although, spend when necessary. Just do it.

Back
Top Bottom