Suggestions for a home office

Are use a scan snap scanner! It’s wireless and he can do 32 sided pages per minute.

Interesting discussion... you all have cleaner desks than I do :(

I must have a clean desk. It's one of my endearing OCD traits. :LOL: But my DW's desk? Oye, that thing looks like a tornado hit it. Of course, she actually w*rks on hers, I just waste time at mine.

If you (or a friend) has a pickup or a trailer, you can get the desk(s) and file cabinet(s) free on Craig's List (craigslist.org) At least on the metro Atlanta Craig's List (covers from Gainesville to the Georgia/Alabama state line), there are some nice wood desks and file cabinets offered almost weekly. Companies come and go, they re-do the corporate offices every X years (or when a new VP/whoever comes in), etc., so cheaper to give it away than to pay for disposal (literally).

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/d/free-stuff/search/zip

Never been rich, but did FIRE at 55 by being thoughtful about expenditures. The clothes dryer will be 20 years old this year but a ~$70 overhaul kit every 5 years or so has kept it running just fine. We have no need to keep up with the Joneses - if it works reliably, we keep using it ;-)

I'll just say my desk and office could be more organized.
I can't get under the desk in a shaker. There is a UPS battery backup, cable modem, and a router, plus a small foot stool to get 1 or 2 of them off the floor and have some air circulation. Plus power strips, cables and power cords for 3 monitors and all the other stuff. Printer on the side, 3 speakers. It's a bit of a dust magnet. :angel:

I have an HP color laser all in one printer/ scanner/copier. Plus a 29 inch monitor and an external wireless keyboard and mouse. I use a cream folding table and a small desk for work surfaces. I also got an articulated arm that I put my laptop on so I can use both screens. Maybe $1,000 for all of it. But the laptop alone cost over $2,000. I'm an engineer and can't make it with a normal computer.

Contractor?

Not really a fit for you, but we just had our home study paneled in oak. More of a BTD thing. Now waiting to get it stained.

That is fantastic looking! What kind of contractor did you hire to do the paneling? I'd like to have my office done in walnut.

I live in a small cottage and use the second bedroom as an office (but we are retired- not working from home- though we used to partially in our other house).

We have our big oak desk and leather swivel chair that we brought with us from the other house with a two drawer oak file cabinet. We keep the printer/scanner on top of it. I use an HP 17 inch laptop.I also have a big comfy chair and ottoman in the room that used to be in our living room in our other home and a tall lamp behind it. Also a ceiling light. And I store just a few things in the closet.

Due to the pandemic I work from home the majority of the time. This required dedicating a bedroom to a home office.
From my experience, more important than type of furniture was location. I couldn't face a corner or a wall, as it made me feel closed off and claustrophobic. I needed to face out to the door so I could see what was going on outside the room. As for a desk, I went old school and used two 2-drawer filing cabinets and put a piece of formica across them. It's the perfect height, and my chair fits right in between. Bookcase behind and TV on the wall to watch CNBC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom