Suggestions for a home office

There is one of these places about 3 miles away. I'll have a look, especially since I don't like my current desk chair.
I always buy my chairs at those places. High quality and cheap. What's to not like? My best deals have been from very large business furniture stores. When they rehab a customer's office space, they basically have to take the old stuff as "trade-ins" but they hate it.

You may want to check out Bojoy brand on Amazon for some minimalist ideas. Having less heavy furniture can open up the room and make it feel less crowded.
The gaming desk concept is good, though styling would be an issue. I've admired gaming chairs for size and comfort in the past.

The trend seems to be to minimal drawer space in a desk, though I'd like one drawer for office supplies.

I built this desk from 25" x 50" butcher block maple, inch and a half thick. It's screwed to the wall and offset by another BB maple 5 inched deep which just covers the wall mount monitor and the sound bar, so working area is 25x50.

51416271876_9c109bd0c7_o.jpg

Brick house, I'll hide under it during the next quake - :)

Impressive build.

I like the butcher block idea :).

Thanks!

I improved it some, I'll post an update. Added a cover of 1/4" ply between the wall and the cubby support, so no more big hole in the side and added a brace to the window side support also 1.5" BB with a shelf for the computer. The subwoofer has been moved and I'm planning a cutout for the UPS so the status can be easily seen.

Plenty of light from the big window and a good view too - :)

I love the 43" 4K monitor!

Last edited:
Our daughter has moved out and my wife and I have reclaimed our good-sized second bedroom for a home office, moving the guest bed to the third bedroom where our daughter had her office.

Right now, it is something of a mishmash of old computer hardware, non-matching tables (not really desks), a cheap dented file cabinet, etc. We'd like to have a pair of matching desks that don't rise above the work surface, a wood filing cabinet, and a drop-in document scanner (not flatbed).

My wife has a decent computer setup since she does some paid work from home, I have two aging computers and a dated, narrow LED monitor. I plan to replace my 10 year old plus Windows desktop with a laptop and docking station. I'm just not efficient with real work on my Mac laptop.

I will be president of a volunteer organization next year and will need a reasonably efficient workspace, and, as we all know, managing retirement accounts is not simple.

Budget is about $2500, not including the laptop itself.

What has worked for you, especially for the document scanner and the type of desk? What am I missing?
we have a Brother multi-function B&W laser printer (print, scan, fax, copy) that has a sheet feeder and a flat bed for scanning, copying and faxing.

I like my Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1600. I scan directly to Dropbox via Wi-Fi without turning on my PC and it has a 40 sheet document feeder.

I like my Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1600. I scan directly to Dropbox via Wi-Fi without turning on my PC and it has a 40 sheet document feeder.
I like that idea of scanning to the cloud, and the ability not to have to turn the computer on.

We have converted our upstairs open loft area into our office. My uses our large iMAC as our family computer on a large desk. I moved another small table into the room for my laptop/docking station and monitor. I recommend having two monitors side by side. It makes a world of difference when you have multiple windows open. In y case I open the laptop for its display and have a nice 27" monitor next to it for extended display.

We have a wireless printer in the corner of the room in its own stand, along with a scanner.

Speaking of windows ..... our main desk is placed in front of a double hung window.
Seems like a good idea, being able to look outside. However, when it's sunny outside, the background glare is too much so we are always pulling the blinds.
Also, my wife likes cracking open the windows to let fresh air in. Of course, this means the papers on the desk are blown onto the floor all the time.
I am always finding a mess to pick up when I go upstairs to use the office. Argh.

Anyway, I would recommend against putting the desk against a window.

Speaking of windows ..... our main desk is placed in front of a double hung window.
Seems like a good idea, being able to look outside. However, when it's sunny outside, the background glare is too much so we are always pulling the blinds.
Also, my wife likes cracking open the windows to let fresh air in. Of course, this means the papers on the desk are blown onto the floor all the time.
I am always finding a mess to pick up when I go upstairs to use the office. Argh.

Anyway, I would recommend against putting the desk against a window.
Since my wife likes windows open whenever possible, we would have the breezes issue, but the windows in this room face north and east, minimizing the glare problem.

I used my home office a lot, until 1998 when I switched to a laptop computer and got rid of my desktop. After that, I only really used the file cabinet and document shredder in there.

Most of the things that would have gone in my file cabinet, are now available online. So, I'm thinking of just putting the rest in a small rolling file box in a closet(like the one I brought on my present evacuation trip), or else scanning them all in, and moving the shredder to the kitchen.

But then I will have no use for a home office room at all. :facepalm: I guess that makes sense since I haven't worked for almost 12 years. Sorry to be rambling on.

I think perhaps as many of us grow older, we don't feel we need as much space or as many things to put in it? At least that seems to be happening in my case. My house is 1500 sf, and Frank's is 1600 sf. Each of us only actually uses about 800 sf, max. Maybe 600.

Before we knew that our houses are (apparently?) OK after Hurricane Ida, we were thinking about what to do in a worst case scenario. We were thinking that we could perhaps buy a duplex with about 800 sf on each side. Cheaper, and certainly adequate for our needs.

Sorry if I drifted a little off topic! But for me, that's the solution to any home office remodeling dilemma - - eliminate it completely. I mean, do you really need or want to spend a boatload of money remodeling a home office? For volunteer work? :confused: Why not just give them the money you would spend, instead.

I love my home office with the 43 inch monitor on the wall and the soundbar-subwoofer combo. Of course you could always plug (or dock) a laptop to a big screen too.

... then I will have no use for a home office room at all. :facepalm: I guess that makes sense since I haven't worked for almost 12 years. ...
Different needs. My home offices, city house and lake house, each have large monitor, good keyboard, good mouse, good sound, and dock for my MS Surface tablet. In the city I also have a couple of scanners, a CDRW drive, Wacom tablet, and a couple of Synology NAS boxes. The Surface moves between homes with me as well as to various meeting places and classrooms. I have been doing basically this with various laptops since the 1990s. Having a desktop would be a huge step backwards for me.

I have been using three 19" monitors for a few years and love it.
For w*rk I put documents on left and right and what I am working on writing goes in the middle.
Afterwards rock and roll goes on the left and other stuff in the middle. I'd be OK with 2 screens or maybe 1 big one if not for w*rk.

The desk is an old thing of solid wood. I could keep it forever.

i don’t trust the cloud as my primary or only source for backing up our files. i use iDrive as a secondary backup.

Scanning to the cloud (Dropbox in my case) doesn't preclude saving to a hard drive. The software doesn't know what you want to name the PDFs and I have an overly elaborate system of folders and subfolders :)

We have a loft that could have been an optional 5th bedroom (we left it a loft and use it for our home gym). But the builder included a small walk-in closet regardless. Since it is just 2 of us, we don't require the extra closet and I converted it to a small office. I have an Ikea desk that fits perfectly in there with a 4-drawer file cabinet next to it.

Initially it was going to be just for doing taxes, house paperwork, etc.

But during the pandemic when we were all sent home to work, it has been my daily workspace. I love it - it works perfectly and it is nice to have a door to close for phone calls. It has a small window (that doesn't open) and the only downside is the lack of ventilation - if the door is closed for a long period of time it does get stuffy. I have a small desk fan that helps but eventually I just have to open the door for a bit.

I also built this desk from a butcher block that I bought for about $200 at Lumber Liquidators which I was able to stain to match the woodwork in the office. I bought the legs from Etsy for about $50 if I recall correctly. It's 48" long and is great for spreading out. I have a small filing cabinet that suits me well and is under the right side of the desk. I have the Epson ES-500W and really like it. DW has a Scansnap and it works well, too. The window sits to the left of the desk and has a shade pulled down as the sun beams in pretty well in the AM.

My DW has a similar desk to mine but it is adjustable (stand up) and I would HIGHLY recommend this if you plan on being at the desk more than an hour or so. Thankfully, I spend only an hour or so at my desk a day (and usually no more than 10-15 minutes at a time) so it's not that big a deal. I would take a picture of her setup, but she is w*rking and doesn't want her picture all over the interwebs. :)

Oh, and I don't recommend buying a chair made by a mattress company. The one you see here is branded as a "Serta" and while it is very comfortable...it is also too comfortable in that it is VERY easy to fall asleep sitting in it.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Off2.jpg
    Off2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Off3.jpg
    Off3.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Our office has two matching back to back desks, we love that neither of us faces a wall. We don't look at each other, we have large monitors on each desk. The printer sits on a "sofa table" size table at the head of the two desks against the wall. We both love the layout of this room.

I also built this desk from a butcher block that I bought for about $200 at Lumber Liquidators which I was able to stain to match the woodwork in the office. I bought the legs from Etsy for about $50 if I recall correctly. It's 48" long and is great for spreading out. I have a small filing cabinet that suits me well and is under the right side of the desk. I have the Epson ES-500W and really like it. DW has a Scansnap and it works well, too. The window sits to the left of the desk and has a shade pulled down as the sun beams in pretty well in the AM.

My DW has a similar desk to mine but it is adjustable (stand up) and I would HIGHLY recommend this if you plan on being at the desk more than an hour or so. Thankfully, I spend only an hour or so at my desk a day (and usually no more than 10-15 minutes at a time) so it's not that big a deal. I would take a picture of her setup, but she is w*rking and doesn't want her picture all over the interwebs. :)

Oh, and I don't recommend buying a chair made by a mattress company. The one you see here is branded as a "Serta" and while it is very comfortable...it is also too comfortable in that it is VERY easy to fall asleep sitting in it.

Is that Milton's red stapler I see on the desk? :D

Is that Milton's red stapler I see on the desk? :D

Just a replica since the original was destroyed in a fire. I also have a an original (and signed) script signed by most of the cast and several bobble heads. Fanboy? Perhaps. :D

Last edited:
One of the top ten best movies ever! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I do enjoy it. Being FIREd makes it an even better story.

I would have to dig to find the pictures, but my DW threw a pretty epic retirement party for me and it had an Office Space theme. She made a "Jump to Conclusions" mat (much better than the crappy plastic one on Facebook) and a couple of very large paper Mache red staplers that I kept for a few years before the succumbed to the heat in the attic.

Last edited:
I do enjoy it. Being FIREd makes it an even better story.

I would have to dig to find the pictures, but my DW threw a pretty epic retirement party for me and it had an Office Space theme. She made a "Jump to Conclusions" mat (much better than the crappy plastic one on Facebook) and a couple of very large paper Mache red staplers that I kept for a few years before the succumbed to the heat in the attic.

Excellent!! :D

I built this desk from 25" x 50" butcher block maple, inch and a half thick. It's screwed to the wall and offset by another BB maple 5 inched deep which just covers the wall mount monitor and the sound bar, so working area is 25x50.

51416271876_9c109bd0c7_o.jpg

Brick house, I'll hide under it during the next quake - :)

Excellent j*b building the desk!!
Again, impressive!!

Interesting discussion... you all have cleaner desks than I do :(

Back
Top Bottom